#4981 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:41 AM

Okay you’re a huge fan, it’s fine, I get it. I go out of my way to defend stupidity from people I love too. I’ll stop.

#4982 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:46 AM

Agreed. Or at least initiate contact and guage interest even if you dont start actual negotiations

This may be what Francis was trying to do. But it's probably pretty easy to quickly cross over into negotiation territory while you're gauging interest.

#4983 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:53 AM

I wonder if he can hire someone certified by the NFLPA in that manner? Not hiring as an agent but for assistance in negotiation and reviewing the contract.  If we don't know the answer, then I'd argue its not completely simple.

While I don't know the answer for sure, see below. Anyway, I don't see why the way Lamar is compensating the agent would matter, as long as the agent has been given the authority to negotiate.

The NFLPA rules state they can agree to any fee that is less than the maximum fee, which is 3%. See page 12.

https://nflpaweb.blo...dAugust2016.pdf

• Mackus likes this

#4984 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:20 AM

Easier said than done IMO. 

https://nflpa.com/ag...become-an-agent

So it's not as easy as filling out a form and having it notarized. Yep, Lamar is in way over his head here. The sad thing is, he thinks he's killing it. 

• CantonJester likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#4985 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:27 AM

Deep in the weeds? No it isn’t. That’s 101, incredibly easy to understand. Very basic stuff. And if he can’t wrap his head around just that, how will he wrap his head around some of the other bells and whistles his new deal may have in it?

Also, hasn't Lamar been counseled somewhat by the NFLPA? This issue had to come up in duscussion since everyone knew Lamar didn't have an agent. If he didn't know he wasn't paying attention or didn't care.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#4986 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:27 AM

I wonder if he can hire someone certified by the NFLPA in that manner? Not hiring as an agent but for assistance in negotiation and reviewing the contract.  If we don't know the answer, then I'd argue its not completely simple.

If you're a certified agent, are you going to do charity work for a player who is essentially trying to show the industry that you and your kind are unnecessary parasites? I wouldn't. I'd sit back and enjoy this show.  

• Steve55 and russsnyder like this

#4987 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:28 AM

Also, hasn't Lamar been counseled somewhat by the NFLPA? This issue had to come up in duscussion since everyone knew Lamar didn't have an agent. If he didn't know he wasn't paying attention or didn't care.

I'm not sure how certain we are that the NFLPA is advising him. But this is a strong argument against him just being ignorant about the rules.

#4988 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:29 AM

If he plays on the tag this year and is still a Raven, lets hope by next year, the light bulb will go off in his head and he'll have a revelation that hey, maybe I need to hire a frickin agent.   :roll:

#4989 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:30 AM

You guys don’t think an agent has ever pitched him and mentioned, hey, oh btw, you have to be certified to negotiate with other teams just as a heads up - another reason you should hire me…

You don’t think the Ravens have told him the same?

I’d put the chances of him not knowing that prior to this week at less than 5%. He just doesn’t care. Willful ignorance and immaturity IMO.

He has absolutely been approached by agents and the Ravens probably recommended that it may be in his best interests to seek help from one. Like you stated, I doubt he cared. Everthing else has pretty much fallen in place. Why not 250 million guaranteed?
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4990 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:32 AM

I'm not sure how certain we are that the NFLPA is advising him. But this is a strong argument against him just being ignorant about the rules.

I'm pretty certain that the NFLPA put out a statement that they would be giving Lamar some guidance.

#4991 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:34 AM

This may be what Francis was trying to do. But it's probably pretty easy to quickly cross over into negotiation territory while you're gauging interest.

The only person who should have made that call was Lamar. It seems that everyone except Lamar was aware of this.

#4992 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:58 AM

The only person who should have made that call was Lamar. It seems that everyone except Lamar was aware of this.

I think he grossly underestimated what was going to be involved in getting a long term contract.  You just can't text EDC and say, "Hey, I want the exact same contract Watson got but just a little more.  Get back to me."  I really think Lamar was expecting the whole process to be a piece of cake, hence not needing a agent.  Hopefully, as this soap opera spins farther out of control, he's come to his senses and will accept he made a huge mistake.  Let's hope he at least has that much awareness. 

• russsnyder likes this

#4993 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 10:06 AM

I think he grossly underestimated what was going to be involved in getting a long term contract. You just can't text EDC and say, "Hey, I want the exact same contract Watson got but just a little more. Get back to me." I really think Lamar was expecting the whole process to be a piece of cake, hence not needing a agent. Hopefully, as this soap opera spins farther out of control, he's come to his senses and will accept he made a huge mistake. Let's hope he at least has that much awareness.

The situation got even more complicated once the Ravens applied the tag to Jackson. He's absolutely way in over his head at this point. He'd be foolish not to hire an agent if he is not traded and plays on the tag this season.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#4994 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 10:19 AM

I'm pretty certain that the NFLPA put out a statement that they would be giving Lamar some guidance.

Even without verifiable proof, I still think it's likely that the Union has given him pointers and tips, if not a short list of things he shouldn't do.

#4995 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2023 - 10:21 AM

He could’ve had a 3 minute conversation with ChatGPT and gotten that information.

#4996 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 10:55 AM

If Jackson planned on embarking on this on his own, he absolutely should've apprised himself of the rules. Not doing so is inexcusable and quite frankly, being caught up in this quagmire is what he deserves at this point. 

With the silliness of the last few days, no one should be surprised that Lamar hasn't gotten a deal done or an offer sheet. And to think that having a professional agent to handle things wouldn't have made a difference is some combination of naivete, blind fandom and intellectual dishonesty. 

Furthermore, Jackson can't keep saying people are lying about situations but then not provide some truth or another perspective. Unless the NFLPA is now colluding against him, why else would they send a memo, specifically naming Jackson's business partner contacting teams if he isn't? 

What a colossal sh!t show this is.

• You Play to Win the Game, weird-O, russsnyder and 1 other like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#4997 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:05 AM

Furthermore, Jackson can't keep saying people are lying about situations but then not provide some truth or another perspective. Unless the NFLPA is now colluding against him, why else would they send a memo, specifically naming Jackson's business partner contacting teams if he isn't?

What a colossal sh!t show this is.

Yup. Jackson has zero credibility.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4998 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:08 AM

If you were Jackson, what would the optimal contract look like to you?

If you were the Ravens, what would the optimal contract look like to you?

Jackson - one that pays me a ton of guaranteed money while playing for a competitive team.  Obviously my definition of a "ton of money" is much different.

Ravens - one that locks in our franchise quarterback while allowing us to build a team that will compete for a SB.

#4999 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:13 AM

Yup. Jackson has zero credibility.

Your level of hate for that guy is off the charts  :mrgreen:

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#5000 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:14 AM

You guys don’t think an agent has ever pitched him and mentioned, hey, oh btw, you have to be certified to negotiate with other teams just as a heads up - another reason you should hire me…

You don’t think the Ravens have told him the same?

I’d put the chances of him not knowing that prior to this week at less than 5%. He just doesn’t care. Willful ignorance and immaturity IMO.

He truly believed teams would line up to pitch him a contract. When they didn't he didn't know what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=