#4961 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 March 2023 - 10:35 PM

What rule says Lamar can't contact teams?

No rule says that. But if he’s appointed someone who isn’t certified by the NFLPA then he’s clearly not going to get any offers.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4962 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 March 2023 - 10:55 PM

Exactly. How many of us were the most mature men on the planet at 26? I know I wasnt.

Which is why an agent helps

@mikeghg

#4963 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:08 AM

No rule says that. But if he’s appointed someone who isn’t certified by the NFLPA then he’s clearly not going to get any offers.

He's already debunked that story

#4964 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:09 AM

Which is why an agent helps

I literally said no agent was needed on his rookie contract, but once the 5th year option was picked up by the team an agent should have been hired.

#4965 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:11 AM

Your post wasn't that clear. I don't speak fluent Cerrano

#4966 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:27 AM

I don't think he's lazy or dumb. Jackson works hard. He has said a lot of things over the years that point to emotional maturity. There are also things which point to him being what he is...a young man.

I think Lamar stepped into this process very ill prepared. The NFL has released a statement to teams to only negotiate with Lamar or risked being fined. I really think thar someone in his "camp" actually reached out to a team or several teams.

Like someone else stated, this whole thing has become a circus and this is squarely on Lamar's shoulders. He made the decision not to have an agent and he had to know that he was the only person who could contact or communicate with teams during the process.

This goes beyond immaturity, and I his his lazy approach to the negotiations led this person to believe that they could speak on Lamar's behalf. Despite his immense talent, Lamar has lost some credibility with his approach to this process.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#4967 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:09 AM

The fact that the NFL sent memos to all 32 teams that they would be forbidden to negotiate with anyone who isn't a certified agent on behalf of Lamar Jackson, something definitely occurred.  You'd have to be pretty naive to think otherwise.  I suppose it's possible Francis acted on his own in an attempt to help his buddy but realistically, that doesn't hold much water.  I do believe Lamar knew he was contacting teams and gave him the OK, showing how little he knows about the legalities of NFL/players negotiations.  When it hit on social media, I think he just lied and said that isn't what happened.  I'll give him this much- he keeps the media machine well oiled. 

• weird-O, russsnyder and CantonJester like this

#4968 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:27 AM

I don't think he's lazy or dumb. Jackson works hard. He has said a lot of things over the years that point to emotional maturity. There are also things which point to him being what he is...a young man.

Yes, but so many young men in this league don’t have this much of a circus around them.

Business ventures are great. Smart plan to have something else you’re invested in. I don’t think his are smart or run by the best people.

He’s getting a lot of bad advice.
  • BSLJamieSieck and russsnyder like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4969 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,423 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:38 AM

It doesn't seem surprising that Lamar not know that he couldn't send someone (not certified by NFLPA) to initiate talks in his behalf. That's pretty deep into the weeds of rules and regulations, and not related to the actual dollars of the thing. Especially if he had his Mom or anyone else help negotiate his original deal or discuss numbers with the Ravens without it having been a problem.

#4970 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:54 AM

Deep in the weeds? No it isn’t. That’s 101, incredibly easy to understand. Very basic stuff. And if he can’t wrap his head around just that, how will he wrap his head around some of the other bells and whistles his new deal may have in it?
  • Hooded Viper, BaltBird 24, BSLJamieSieck and 3 others like this

#4971 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:04 AM

Why not have his friend certified by the NFLPA? That seems like an easy solution. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#4972 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:19 AM

Why not have his friend certified by the NFLPA? That seems like an easy solution. 

Easier said than done IMO. 

Required

• Non-refundable Application fee of $2,500.00
  • Undergraduate AND Post Graduate degree (Masters OR Law) from an accredited college/university OR at least 7 years of sufficient negotiating experience (see FAQs)
  • Authorization to perform a background investigation
  • Mandatory attendance at a two (2) day virtual seminar plus an additional day for administration of the exam
  • Successful completion of a multiple-choice, proctored examination
  • Valid email address

https://nflpa.com/ag...become-an-agent

• You Play to Win the Game and russsnyder like this

#4973 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:24 AM

If you were Jackson, what would the optimal contract look like to you?

If you were the Ravens, what would the optimal contract look like to you?

#4974 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:24 AM

You guys don’t think an agent has ever pitched him and mentioned, hey, oh btw, you have to be certified to negotiate with other teams just as a heads up - another reason you should hire me…

You don’t think the Ravens have told him the same?

I’d put the chances of him not knowing that prior to this week at less than 5%. He just doesn’t care. Willful ignorance and immaturity IMO.
  • Mike in STL, Steve55 and russsnyder like this

#4975 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:25 AM

You guys don’t think an agent has ever pitched him and mentioned, hey, oh btw, you have to be certified to negotiate with other teams just as a heads up - another reason you should hire me…

You don’t think the Ravens have told him the same?

I’d put the chances of him not knowing that prior to this week at less than 5%. He just doesn’t care. Willful ignorance and immaturity IMO.

Yeah, he definitely would have known. It would have come up at some point as someone without an agent.

#4976 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:26 AM

Easier said than done IMO.

https://nflpa.com/ag...become-an-agent

Bullet point 2 shouldn’t even be legal IMO, but the rest is reasonable IMO.

#4977 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,304 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:26 AM

It doesn't seem surprising that Lamar not know that he couldn't send someone (not certified by NFLPA) to initiate talks in his behalf. That's pretty deep into the weeds of rules and regulations, and not related to the actual dollars of the thing. Especially if he had his Mom or anyone else help negotiate his original deal or discuss numbers with the Ravens without it having been a problem.

Agreed. Or at least initiate contact and guage interest even if you dont start actual negotiations

#4978 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:27 AM

He could hire a new up and coming agent straight out of a school who wants the experience of negotiating a big deal with an NFL team and player and would be willing to do it for a small flat fee, guarantee it.

There’s really no excuse for this nonsense. Just pathetic honestly.

#4979 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,423 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:37 AM

Deep in the weeds? No it isn’t. That’s 101, incredibly easy to understand. Very basic stuff. And if he can’t wrap his head around just that, how will he wrap his head around some of the other bells and whistles his new deal may have in it?

I didn't know agents had to be certified by the NFLPA until the Roquon Smith thing last year.  Until then I assumed he could hire a negotiator for a flat or hourly fee rather than an agent who's gonna take a percentage, like some players have done in other sports.

I wonder if he can hire someone certified by the NFLPA in that manner? Not hiring as an agent but for assistance in negotiation and reviewing the contract.  If we don't know the answer, then I'd argue its not completely simple.

#4980 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:40 AM

I didn't know agents had to be certified by the NFLPA until the Roquon Smith thing last year.

I didn’t know that thing about black holes that Neil deGrasse Tyson knew either, but he’s an astrophysicist and I’m a banker.

That’s not a reasonable defense IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=