5723 replies to this topic

#2421 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 10:05 AM

I find it hilarious Cerrano got you all to #on record. Cerrano out here being a leader of men.
  • Mackus and bmore_ken like this

#2422 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 10:05 AM

I find it hilarious Cerrano got you all to #on record. Cerrano out here being a leader of men.

Was just thinking the same thing.

#2423 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 10:08 AM

I do appreciate everyone putting their thoughts clearly out there though. HedgeGuy wouldnt approve.

#2424 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 10:09 AM

Pedro 1 - nil BSL

• You Play to Win the Game and Pedro Cerrano like this

#2425 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 10:44 AM

#OnRecord

Wanted him before he was drafted.
Thought the first contract would be great... that they could win playoff games with him, especially costing nothing.
Never was going to be super excited about a 2nd contract for him.
Didn't see him becoming MVP in Year 2.
Love him. Not just the physical talent, but he seems like a good guy to me, that is motivated by winning.
That said, while I don't think an extension is a horrible idea, and I'd enjoy continuing to root for him... my preference would be to trade him. Ideally to Houston with the 2nd overall pick, allowing the Ravens to select one of Stroud or Young.
If they can't get a deal with Houston, I'd trade him for the best package I could get elsewhere... and QB wise, I'd be trying to get a deal done with Green Bay for Love (my thought is that Rodgers isn't walking away from his payday, and GB isn't going to find someone that will take the contract and give them what they'd want for Rodgers).
I think Jackson has multiple All Pros and another MVP in him.

My expectation is that the Ravens and Jackson are going to find a deal.
  • Pedro Cerrano, Mike B and Biggsy like this

#2426 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 01:31 PM

When discussing parts of this that suck, let's not forget about the time right after we actually get a resolution, when a bunch of people will talk about how they knew all along that this would be the outcome.

I knew you were going to say that. Knew it the whole time.

#2427 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 01:34 PM

#onRecord

I did predict they would be in this position and that trading him was a real possibility.

I like Lamar. I think he's a very good football player. I dont think he's a 250+ fully guaranteed player, and I think if the Ravens do that deal they will regret it.

With that said, at this point, with Lamar putting stuff on social media, I think he will be re-signed. I would explore hard what options are out there be in a position to draft a Bryce Young or CJ Stroud, but I think the Ravens will end up finding a way to retain him.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

#2428 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 01:56 PM

Said pre-draft he would be successful on the right team, with the right fit. Had the big five from that draft ranked Allen, Rosen (Ouch) Jackson, Darnold, Mayfield.

Lobbied for him to start when Flacco started really struggling and the offense was stagnant. He did about three weeks later when Flacco was injured. 

Defended him to moon and back against those that said he's nothing without his legs, he can't throw, cited low completion rate at Louisville but didn't cite receivers drop rate at Louisville. Thought he was a bust, and hated the draft pick, thought defenses would "figure him out."

Defended him against the hundreds of baseless claims that being a running QB makes you more susceptible to injury. 

Was basically one of his biggest fans until he sent that tweet that he was sitting on the couch for the playoff game. 

I think he's soft. 

I think he has the wrong people giving him advice. 

I think after 5 weeks off he would have played if he wanted to. The only person keeping him from playing was himself. 

I think the contract situation shouldn't matter because injured or not he's getting a massive payday. Sex predators get massive paydays FFS. In no world was Jackson not getting paid if he got got hurt worse. 

I think negotiations have gone on long enough that no deal is coming until after he is tagged, if at all. Nothing has changed to make either side move on their dollar amounts or stipulations. Things that can change? Extensions for Burrow and Herbert altering the market. Lamar falling in love with the OC hire that he concedes a little to play here. 

Said the deal I would offer was 5/$210M with $70M signing bonus and $110M guaranteed at signing, $130M guaranteed for injury. He won't take it. That's fine. But thats my fair offer as I said that making the next guy the highest paid just because is bad business, so let another team make that mistake. 

I think the Ravens actually go the less traditional exclusive tag route, and will be comfortable paying the $45M-$47M against the cap if a deal or trade isn't reached. The last thing they want is Lamar signing an offer sheet for a deal they don't want to match and getting back just the two first round picks. Seems like the easy, convenient decision, but not maximizing the return. 

Neither a deal or trade would surprise me. The Ravens only have five picks in the draft, and would love more. They would also love Lamar long term at a number they are comfortable with. 

I have no clue what they will do, and will not gloat when they make their decision. 

I hope he is traded for 3 firsts +. Don't really care to see him in purple ever again.

#OnRecord (almost forgot)

#voteforpedro

• You Play to Win the Game, Pedro Cerrano and Steve55 like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2429 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 February 2023 - 02:44 PM

Cerrano can do anything!  except for hit a curveball.

#2430 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 February 2023 - 02:45 PM

#onrecord

I want him signed, and I don't have any earthly idea what will happen with him this offseason.  If he is traded instead, I don't think it will necessarily be problematic for the Ravens, because we can draft another QB with the draft capital we get, and the Ravens are well-run enough to figure something out, but I think he will transform the franchise he ends up on.

#2431 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 03:56 PM

#OffDaRecord from a Baltimore great. https://youtu.be/-NcPyQVPD5k
@DaKittenz

#2432 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:17 PM

Question - why would a team trade for Lamar without a contract deal in place?  I know he can be franchise tagged, but other than that the team trading for Lamar would have to sign him to a contract.  

#2433 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:20 PM

Said pre-draft he would be successful on the right team, with the right fit. Had the big five from that draft ranked Allen, Rosen (Ouch) Jackson, Darnold, Mayfield.

Lobbied for him to start when Flacco started really struggling and the offense was stagnant. He did about three weeks later when Flacco was injured. 

Defended him to moon and back against those that said he's nothing without his legs, he can't throw, cited low completion rate at Louisville but didn't cite receivers drop rate at Louisville. Thought he was a bust, and hated the draft pick, thought defenses would "figure him out."

Defended him against the hundreds of baseless claims that being a running QB makes you more susceptible to injury. 

Was basically one of his biggest fans until he sent that tweet that he was sitting on the couch for the playoff game. 

I think he's soft. 

I think he has the wrong people giving him advice. 

I think after 5 weeks off he would have played if he wanted to. The only person keeping him from playing was himself. 

I think the contract situation shouldn't matter because injured or not he's getting a massive payday. Sex predators get massive paydays FFS. In no world was Jackson not getting paid if he got got hurt worse. 

I think negotiations have gone on long enough that no deal is coming until after he is tagged, if at all. Nothing has changed to make either side move on their dollar amounts or stipulations. Things that can change? Extensions for Burrow and Herbert altering the market. Lamar falling in love with the OC hire that he concedes a little to play here. 

Said the deal I would offer was 5/$210M with $70M signing bonus and $110M guaranteed at signing, $130M guaranteed for injury. He won't take it. That's fine. But thats my fair offer as I said that making the next guy the highest paid just because is bad business, so let another team make that mistake. 

I think the Ravens actually go the less traditional exclusive tag route, and will be comfortable paying the $45M-$47M against the cap if a deal or trade isn't reached. The last thing they want is Lamar signing an offer sheet for a deal they don't want to match and getting back just the two first round picks. Seems like the easy, convenient decision, but not maximizing the return. 

Neither a deal or trade would surprise me. The Ravens only have five picks in the draft, and would love more. They would also love Lamar long term at a number they are comfortable with. 

I have no clue what they will do, and will not gloat when they make their decision. 

I hope he is traded for 3 firsts +. Don't really care to see him in purple ever again.

#OnRecord (almost forgot)

#voteforpedro

Burrow or Herbert ain't getting no guaranteed contract. Their team owners don't have the cash. The will go the Mahomes route of yearly bonuses. I guess Lamar doesn't want that.

#2434 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:22 PM

Question - why would a team trade for Lamar without a contract deal in place?  I know he can be franchise tagged, but other than that the team trading for Lamar would have to sign him to a contract.  

They won't. The Ravens will put out they are taking offers just like Houston did with Watson. Once some are accepted then Lamar can talk contract with them.

#2435 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:25 PM

They'd do it if its the only way for them to get Lamar.  I don't think there has to be a deal in place in order for a trade to be consummated.

I do think its likely the Ravens allow Lamar to negotiate a deal with a team ahead of time, but not necessarily a given.  Houston allowed Watson to do so, but he had a no-trade clause and they wanted him out.  Seattle did not let Wilson negotiate, and Denver dealt for him without an extension in place (though he was under contract for 2 more years at the time).  I think any team that trades for Lamar is doing so knowing that they're gonna do what it takes to sign him.  Maybe that means a deal right away or maybe it doesn't and they'll hammer it out.  From the Ravens perspective, there are plusses and minuses to both sides of allowing Lamar to pursue a contract or not doing so.

• Mike in STL likes this

#2436 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:47 PM

Burrow or Herbert ain't getting no guaranteed contract. Their team owners don't have the cash. The will go the Mahomes route of yearly bonuses. I guess Lamar doesn't want that.

Probably right, but the guaranteed money could be higher. Burrow could be like 10/$400M and $100M signing bonus and $250M guaranteed. That certainly changes the market even if it isn't the near $500M potential for Mahomes, or the 100% fully guaranteed nature of Watson. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#2437 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:51 PM

They'd do it if its the only way for them to get Lamar.  I don't think there has to be a deal in place in order for a trade to be consummated.

I do think its likely the Ravens allow Lamar to negotiate a deal with a team ahead of time, but not necessarily a given.  Houston allowed Watson to do so, but he had a no-trade clause and they wanted him out.  Seattle did not let Wilson negotiate, and Denver dealt for him without an extension in place (though he was under contract for 2 more years at the time).  I think any team that trades for Lamar is doing so knowing that they're gonna do what it takes to sign him.  Maybe that means a deal right away or maybe it doesn't and they'll hammer it out.  From the Ravens perspective, there are plusses and minuses to both sides of allowing Lamar to pursue a contract or not doing so.

First team that offers 3 firsts +, just take it. "Have fun negotiating with your new team, Lamar."

@BSLMikeRandall

#2438 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 05:20 PM

I don't think Lamar's demands are going to be terribly surprising. If you trade for him you are willing to pay in the neighborhood and probably a bit more than Wilson (5/$245M), and you also know that if the Ravens aren't signing him then he still wants a ton guaranteed, so you plan on having to at least approach Watson. If you aren't willing to go there you don't even call the Ravens.

I guess the worst case, if you trade and can't come to a deal, is you could tag him again next year. Sure it will be a high number, but maybe go non-exclusive and just let someone sign him so that goes away. Maybe you trade 3 firsts for him this year and get 2 back next year. Or maybe he sits out a year and you get nothing.

#2439 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 05:24 PM

First team that offers 3 firsts +, just take it. "Have fun negotiating with your new team, Lamar."

Right, the trading team is taking all the risk and they better get a deal done with Lamar.  The trading team would have to accept whatever Lamar's terms are.  The only way a trade happens is if Lamar is allowed to negotiate with other teams.  Is that happening? 

#2440 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 05:47 PM

The only way a trade happens is if Lamar is allowed to negotiate with other teams.

Don't agree with this part.

Some teams won't move forward if the Ravens don't grant the right to negotiate beforehand. But others will assume they can get a deal done and pursue anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=