5723 replies to this topic

#5001 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:18 AM

This may be what Francis was trying to do. But it's probably pretty easy to quickly cross over into negotiation territory while you're gauging interest.

Francis could say, my friend Lamar Jackson wanted to know if your team had interest in speaking to him about a contract.

But once the team says, how much is he asking for, it crosses over.

#5002 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:20 AM

Yup. Jackson has zero credibility.

At this point, it's difficult to say otherwise. The organization whose single purpose is to look after the players' best interests, puts out an official public statement saying he's breaking the rules. And his response is to call them liars? 

• Mike in STL likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5003 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:43 AM

Lamar’s been jerking people around for months now. The nonsense about scorned lovers after the playoff game and now this. What gets me is he’s supposed to be a leader among men. 

#5004 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:49 AM

Lamar’s been jerking people around for months now. The nonsense about scorned lovers after the playoff game and now this. What gets me is he’s supposed to be a leader among men. 

I've lost a lot of respect for him. And all this "everyone is telling lies about me" stuff is making me rethink his injury. It's no longer difficult for me to believe he was good to go for the playoffs, but chose to sit out. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#5005 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:49 AM

At this point, it's difficult to say otherwise. The organization whose single purpose is to look after the players' best interests, puts out an official public statement saying he's breaking the rules. And his response is to call them liars? 

The NFL sent the memo to teams, not the NFLPA, right?

The league also sent a memo last summer in regards to Roquon Smith.

#5006 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:50 AM

Your level of hate for that guy is off the charts  :mrgreen:

Eh. Hate is a strong word. I don't want to see anything bad happen to him. 

Dislike the fact I've defended him to no end since his draft day until a few months ago, and he's been a complete clown since. Yeah. Aggravates the hell out of me. 

Ready to move on. But I like the team. So if he's the QB this year, I'll have to like him for 3 hours once a week. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#5007 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:50 AM

I misunderstood then, I thought the memo came from the Union

#5008 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:51 AM

Did Roquan call them liars and laugh about in response?

@BSLMikeRandall

#5009 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

Honestly I already thought what he wanted was an overpay for what he brings to the team, but you could at least hang your hat on the fact that he was, purportedly, a magnetic locker room guy that teammates loved and who could lead his team.

After all this, how can anyone look at this dude and think he has the skills required to lead?

Look at Roquan. He represented himself, sat down with the team and got it done. He knew what he needed to do, knew what he wanted, and did it. Every time I hear him speak I can tell he's a born leader.

The difference between he and Jackson is night and day in so many ways.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#5010 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

Did Roquan call them liars and laugh about in response?

Roquan used Tony Little to advise him. The Gazelle is way better than the Entire Gym.

• Hooded Viper, Mike in STL, weird-O and 2 others like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5011 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:58 AM

True, but the memo says "The NFLPA has informed us" that Ken Francis may be contacting teams. 

Maybe it's all a misunderstanding. But they also didn't just happen to pull Lamar's business partner's name out of thin air. There's smoke here at least.

It was probably posted, don't remember, here it is:

https://twitter.com/...021010576986116

• weird-O likes this

#5012 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:07 PM

Eh. Hate is a strong word. I don't want to see anything bad happen to him. 

I don't think so. You insult the guy on a daily basis. It's like he knocked up your sister and left town  :mrgreen:

#5013 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:08 PM

True, but the memo says "The NFLPA has informed us" that Ken Francis may be contacting teams. 

Maybe it's all a misunderstanding. But they also didn't just happen to pull Lamar's business partner's name out of thin air. There's smoke here at least.

It was probably posted, don't remember, here it is:

https://twitter.com/...021010576986116

Oh, I don't doubt that the guy was talking to teams for Lamar.  I just don't think its a big deal or (another) knock against Lamar's character or intelligence like many seem to be saying or at least implying.

#5014 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:13 PM

Oh, I don't doubt that the guy was talking to teams for Lamar.  I just don't think its a big deal or (another) knock against Lamar's character or intelligence like many seem to be saying or at least implying.

Not a knock on his character or his intelligence but it certainly shows ill preparedness and/or ignorance on Lamar's part. How could he embark on this journey, sans agent, of trying to reset the market for NFL contracts and not be apprised of how to do so? 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5015 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:15 PM

I don't think it's a knock against his character. But it's absolutely a big deal. I don't know how you can think otherwise. A team can be fined and the contract be nullified if this person handles the slightest aspect of the negotiations. I'd say that's a big deal.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#5016 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:17 PM

That would make sense since I believe it is the within the jurisdiction of the league, and not the NFLPA, to enforce the rule about non-certified agents attempting to represent players.

#5017 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:18 PM

Not a knock on his character or his intelligence but it certainly shows ill preparedness and/or ignorance on Lamar's part. How could he embark on this journey, sans agent, of trying to reset the market for NFL contracts and not be apprised of how to do so? 

I think it's kind of questionable to assume ignorance/ill-preparedness when the other two prominent players without agents (Tunsil and Roquan) both caused the NFL to send memos out about unregistered agents contacting teams on the player's behalf.

The fact that Roquan signed a deal with us kind of makes it water under the bridge for us.  But Bears fans seem much less enamored with his behavior surrounding the contract talks.

#5018 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:37 PM

Whether its hate, bias, frustration or a combination there is a lot of piling on Lamar by Ravens right now. This stuff is the latest example.

Some fans have gone so far down the bash Lamar route that its hard for me to believe they would enjoy winning with him as our QB

#5019 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:41 PM

Whether its hate, bias, frustration or a combination there is a lot of piling on Lamar right now. This stuff is the latest example.

When you play arguably the highest-profile position in teams sports, there's going to be some vitriol (with a little contumely sprinkled on top) when a situation reaches this point. It comes with the territory.

#5020 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:42 PM

I don't think it's a knock against his character. But it's absolutely a big deal. I don't know how you can think otherwise. A team can be fined and the contract be nullified if this person handles the slightest aspect of the negotiations. I'd say that's a big deal.

Its not a big deal unless he insists on having someone non-certified speak for him, which I doubt will be the case.  Seems likely to me that he didn't know the rule and sent a business partner to reach out to teams.  Maybe that guy discussed numbers, maybe not, either way he isn't allowed to do that so the league reminded everybody via the memo, probably laying it on thick so that Lamar got the message.  Fair to say Lamar should've known better, but really, where is the harm done?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=