5723 replies to this topic

#4761 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,253 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:37 PM

It's not that teams aren't interested, or that they don't want him. It's that they feel like it's a waste of time, and all they'd be doing is negotiating terms for the Ravens.

Any spin on this that makes it seem like no one wants Lamar, is pure ignorance. If he were on the open market, he'd be choosing between at least 6 or 7 massive offers.

Spin baby. May just be ignorance. Either way its a bad look.

#4762 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:39 PM

It's not that teams aren't interested, or that they don't want him. It's that they feel like it's a waste of time, and all they'd be doing is negotiating terms for the Ravens.

Any spin on this that makes it seem like no one wants Lamar, is pure ignorance. If he were on the open market, he'd be choosing between at least 6 or 7 massive offers.

I do think that Lamar's tactical decisions with these negotiations (or at least, what is publicly acknowledged) seems kind of weird.  On one hand, he might be selling a bit low.  On the other hand, he's coming off 2 years where he missed time due to injuries that, while not significant in the sense that they could potentially ruin his career, they still kept him off the field.

I don't know if the risk/reward for more money guaranteed at signing is worth it.  If he's a good citizen he could get get minor injuries every year from now until 2027 and the Ravens would still try to keep the contract.  Maybe he's betting on 6/320 with 200m+ guaranteed next year if he balls out.  He'd probably get it from someone, and the threat of holding out the following year is much more significant.  But he's got to finish the year to get that money.

#4763 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:44 PM

I do think that Lamar's tactical decisions with these negotiations (or at least, what is publicly acknowledged) seems kind of weird. On one hand, he might be selling a bit low. On the other hand, he's coming off 2 years where he missed time due to injuries that, while not significant in the sense that they could potentially ruin his career, they still kept him off the field.

I don't know if the risk/reward for more money guaranteed at signing is worth it. If he's a good citizen he could get get minor injuries every year from now until 2027 and the Ravens would still try to keep the contract. Maybe he's betting on 6/320 with 200m+ guaranteed next year if he balls out. He'd probably get it from someone, and the threat of holding out the following year is much more significant. But he's got to finish the year to get that money.

I'm not sure he'd get what he wants from anyone. No one truly knows what it is he actually wants. It's all speculation. But if he were on the open market at the start of free agency, he'd have at minimal, 10 teams trying to talk to him within the first minute.

Trying to spin this situation, saying no one really wants him, is wishful thinking. As much as he's soured on a lot here, he's still a top 10 QB, who can make any offense significantly better, instantly. You can call him a lot of things, talentless is not one of those things.

#4764 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 05:04 PM

You guys don’t think this guy actually has read one word of the CBA, do you?

@BSLMikeRandall

#4765 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 05:39 PM

Like all union employees, I'm sure he's brushed through the parts that matter to him, and thumbed past the parts that he feels aren't important to him.

#4766 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 05:44 PM

Like all union employees, I'm sure he's brushed through the parts that matter to him, and thumbed past the parts that he feels aren't important to him.

I doubt he’s done that. Unless there is a version written in emoji.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4767 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,689 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 05:44 PM

Agree that if he was in the open market, there would be plenty of interest.

Disagree with why he's not (seemingly) getting offers.

Giving up the draft compensation and giving the contract necessary is a big ask.

Still... I'm surprised (and disappointed) that nobody has stepped up with an offer.

#4768 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 06:22 PM

I don’t think I’ve read my entire CBA and I’m a lawyer. One word, sure.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4769 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 06:29 PM

Lamar continues to look like he and his "camp" don't have a clue.

#4770 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 07:02 PM

I doubt he’s done that. Unless there is a version written in emoji.

Man. I've never seen this level of hate for a person.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#4771 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 07:05 PM

I don’t think I’ve read my entire CBA and I’m a lawyer. One word, sure.

Speaking for myself only. I have not read every word of my Union contract. But I'm pretty versed on the basics

#4772 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 07:16 PM

Is this the most sour a team and their star player have ever gone on each other on a rookie contract without some kind of off the field problem? Feels like Lamar is sick of the Ravens and vice versa.

#4773 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 07:58 PM

I would not be surprised if the reports that Lamar is ready to move on from the Ravens are true.  I put this out there many pages ago, that Lamar could accept a deal the Ravens could potentially match and simply make it known that he no longer wants or intends to play for the Ravens.  Would the Ravens match a contract with a player who doesn't want to be here and is threatening to not be here?  Everyone said we had to get rid of Hollywood because he wanted out, wouldn't that be the same situation?  Personally, if the reports are true and that is a big if, I think the Ravens will just take the compensation and move on should that occur.  I think the FO is probably getting as tired of this soap opera as the fans are, they just can't say it.  

#4774 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,372 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 08:08 PM

I think it's just all negotiations. Seems silly to try and read tea leaves to venture a guess as to what one side is feeling about the other. Water under the bridge once a resolution is reached. No resolution is the only scenario that concerns me regarding anyone's motivation.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4775 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 08:11 PM

Agree that if he was in the open market, there would be plenty of interest.

Disagree with why he's not (seemingly) getting offers.

Giving up the draft compensation and giving the contract necessary is a big ask.

Still... I'm surprised (and disappointed) that nobody has stepped up with an offer.

I do think the two draft picks and the possibility of the Ravens matching the offer are certainly deterrents.  If he were just a FA with no strings attached, there probably would be more interest.

But there are several QB needy teams who could clear enough space to structure a contract so that the Ravens would need to undo a good deal of their team in order to match and they would probably not do that.  And the two #1's?  Steep price but we have seen other teams deal their #1's like Halloween candy and just look at the Jets.  They've used two very high # 1 picks in the past five years on QBs and still need to put together a trade compensation package for an older QB.  

I would think if there was a team out there that thought Lamar was one of the most elite QBs to ever hit the market they could figure out a way to make the move.  Maybe some of those teams with high picks this year are gambling on waiting until after the draft.  Guess we will see.  

But I'm having a hard time believing there are a bunch of teams salivating over Lamar and nobody is willing to make a move.   As cut throat as NFL owners are that doesn't seem plausible.  

• BaltBird 24 and CantonJester like this

#4776 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 09:03 PM

I would not be surprised if the reports that Lamar is ready to move on from the Ravens are true.  I put this out there many pages ago, that Lamar could accept a deal the Ravens could potentially match and simply make it known that he no longer wants or intends to play for the Ravens.  Would the Ravens match a contract with a player who doesn't want to be here and is threatening to not be here?  Everyone said we had to get rid of Hollywood because he wanted out, wouldn't that be the same situation?  Personally, if the reports are true and that is a big if, I think the Ravens will just take the compensation and move on should that occur.  I think the FO is probably getting as tired of this soap opera as the fans are, they just can't say it.  

Until Lamar himself says he's ready to move on, it's all meaningless. Anything coming from someone claiming to represent him is suspect, to say the least. If Lamar is truly done from the Ravens, then he himself needs to say it.

#4777 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 09:19 PM

Speaking for myself only. I have not read every word of my Union contract. But I'm pretty versed on the basics

I mean if you have an agent, or in the case of us common folk, a union with lawyers that work for them, you don’t need to know your entire CBA or union contract, just the basics is fine.

I was part of union (firefighters) who didn’t care about me one iota, and the lawyer I got when I was pleading my wrongful termination case to her because of medical condition, literally said “I don’t deal in contracts”. So that night I read the MOU our union has with the City from front to back. Noted the flaws. I spent some time looking up all the NFPA standards that apply to my case, and others to prove that the city doesn’t follow them all and they are merely suggestions they cherry pick when convenient. I looked up previous cases of people who had the same deal I had and got to keep their jobs, or reached a settlement, in Baltimore City mind you. My lawyer who never picked up the phone, called me back about 5 seconds later when I said in a voicemail I was going downtown to file EEOC paperwork to sue the city, thanks for nothing. All of a sudden she wanted to know what I found out and if I had a case, before I put her name on some BS. She wrote my statement like a lawyer would, not like I would. That’s about all she did.

I also represented myself against the City lawyers at an unemployment hearing where the city wanted me to pay back unemployment compensation because I wasn’t actively trying to keep my job as a firefighter while on sick time. I didn’t bother calling the idiot lawyer for that. After I presented all the work and research I had done, and logs of people I had called and letters/emails sent, the arbitrators said I would hear a decision in 30 days. Decision came in the mail 3 days later that I won. Pretty convincingly I guess.

End of the day, I lost the big case, and my job. EEOC decided I wasn’t in the wrong, but the city wasn’t either, so by not making a decision, they did make a decision. I digress.

Point is, if you don’t have the help by choice, or not, you better start reading, fast. When you gloat about not needing an agent then have unlicensed people trying to slide in these owners DMs, that’s not a good look. If I was seeking employment elsewhere for the price tag of generational wealth, I’d make damn sure I read the CBA front to back and do it right.
  • CantonJester likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4778 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 10:38 PM

For fun, I timed myself. 

Google "nfl cba"

The very first link is the NFL CBA in its entirety. 

Open the PDF

Look at the table of contents

Spent about 20 minutes looking though the contract items, which start on page 9. Ended up not finding what I was looking for WRT this kind of negotiation.

Went back to the table of contents.

Article 48 - NFLPA agent certification. Page 284

In one page plus a small paragraph it spells out that teams cannot negotiate with an agent not certified by the NFLPA. Must be a certified agent, or the player alone. It incurs a $47,000 fine (Now up to roughly $54K) Sounds like teams get a one time pass without having to pay the fine from the start of the CBA (2020). 

It took me 28 minutes to understand what not to do. 8 minutes if I knew where to look the first time. 

Maybe he does know the CBA and is trying to get teams to use their free pass (If I'm reading that part right) by not having real representation. Maybe he will take $54,000 less to offset the fine by not having qualified representation, rather than 3% of say, $200M ($6M). That'd be be giving him too much credit though. 

Maybe teams don't want to pay a $54,000 fine, and go through the arduous process of explaining the legalities to LJ's mom, or whoever the rep is. They can save the money and give the contract to an agent who can makes head or tails of it rather quickly. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#4779 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:47 PM

For fun, I timed myself. 

Google "nfl cba"

The very first link is the NFL CBA in its entirety. 

Open the PDF

Look at the table of contents

Spent about 20 minutes looking though the contract items, which start on page 9. Ended up not finding what I was looking for WRT this kind of negotiation.

Went back to the table of contents.

Article 48 - NFLPA agent certification. Page 284

In one page plus a small paragraph it spells out that teams cannot negotiate with an agent not certified by the NFLPA. Must be a certified agent, or the player alone. It incurs a $47,000 fine (Now up to roughly $54K) Sounds like teams get a one time pass without having to pay the fine from the start of the CBA (2020). 

It took me 28 minutes to understand what not to do. 8 minutes if I knew where to look the first time. 

Maybe he does know the CBA and is trying to get teams to use their free pass (If I'm reading that part right) by not having real representation. Maybe he will take $54,000 less to offset the fine by not having qualified representation, rather than 3% of say, $200M ($6M). That'd be be giving him too much credit though. 

Maybe teams don't want to pay a $54,000 fine, and go through the arduous process of explaining the legalities to LJ's mom, or whoever the rep is. They can save the money and give the contract to an agent who can makes head or tails of it rather quickly. 

From what I've read, there's a passcode of sorts that all certified agents are given. Sort of like when you have to verify an online account. Agents have to provide this number to teams before any conversation is allowed to begin.

#4780 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:06 AM

From what I've read, there's a passcode of sorts that all certified agents are given. Sort of like when you have to verify an online account. Agents have to provide this number to teams before any conversation is allowed to begin.

So he's wasting everybody's time. 

• Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=