5723 replies to this topic

#2321 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 07:06 PM

A lot of players with agents don't like in season negotiations. The only area where this is a detriment is if the team is looking to move Lamar and teams can't directly communicate with Lamar to get a sense for what they would need for an extension.

Agents work for their clients, but if you believe any agent in the business would have stopped talking to the team on opening day because Lamar said so, you're a bit naive. The agent has a vested interest in getting something done.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2322 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 07:57 PM

Agents work for their clients, but if you believe any agent in the business would have stopped talking to the team on opening day because Lamar said so, you're a bit naive. The agent has a vested interest in getting something done.

If Lamar had hired an agent, he would have never demanded talks to cease once the season began for no other reason than it's an incredibly stupid tactic and the agent would have told him so.  Lamar is going to wind up a filthy rich young man regardless but he really put a lot on his plate by going down this road, especially at his age. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#2323 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 09:05 PM

It’s good for the Ravens that he doesn’t have an agent being a better negotiator than Lamar himself, because after trading him, they are going to look like geniuses in a few years when he’s an average QB who can’t stay on the field on a really bad team with a really poor fanbase. (Houston, Atlanta, Carolina, Jets)
@BSLMikeRandall

#2324 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 09:57 PM

It’s good for the Ravens that he doesn’t have an agent being a better negotiator than Lamar himself, because after trading him, they are going to look like geniuses in a few years when he’s an average QB who can’t stay on the field on a really bad team with a really poor fanbase. (Houston, Atlanta, Carolina, Jets)

He's not getting traded. You heard it here first. Bookmark the post.

#2325 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 05:02 PM

i don't believe that. I believe having an agent, would have meant there would have been no need for a opening day deadline for a deal. He could have continued negotiation during the season.

This is not necessarily true.

Like Mackus stated earlier (he cited Aaron Judge), many athletes with agents cut off negotiations when the season starts. It's a distraction whether the agent is negotiating or not. I think Lamar not having an agent is way overblown by many on here.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#2326 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 05:11 PM

He's not getting traded. You heard it here first. Bookmark the post.

As Vincent Vega said to Lance in Pulp Fiction, "...those are some bold words."  

#2327 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 07:28 PM

As Vincent Vega said to Lance in Pulp Fiction, "...those are some bold words."  

If he's traded, I'll proudly be here to take my lumps like a man.  :)

#2328 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 07:36 PM

I think he's gonna be traded. Really hoping I'm wrong.

#2329 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:39 PM

I think he's gonna be traded. Really hoping I'm wrong.

Since Cleveland already blew their wad. I don't see another team giving up a ton of picks AND giving Lamar $50M per. People are talking about the Jets. I guess that's a possibility with two first round picks, but you have a team that sucks and they don't look like a QB away to me and they won't be able to make serious additions to the team if they pay Lamar. Snyder would have been  a possibility , but he's too busy trying to sell the team. 

#2330 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:40 PM

The Jets are definitely a QB away. Lot of talent on that team on both sides of the ball.

#2331 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:50 PM

Since Cleveland already blew their wad. I don't see another team giving up a ton of picks AND giving Lamar $50M per. People are talking about the Jets. I guess that's a possibility with two first round picks, but you have a team that sucks and they don't look like a QB away to me and they won't be able to make serious additions to the team if they pay Lamar. Snyder would have been a possibility , but he's too busy trying to sell the team.

Jets, Falcons, Panthers, Bucs, Texans...lots of plausible destinations. Additional ones that seem less likely also could be in play.

I don't think the Ravens will be hurting for a trade partner if they decide to go that route.

#2332 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 09:02 PM

The Jets are definitely a QB away. Lot of talent on that team on both sides of the ball.

The Jets were 29th in points per game. 26th in rushing yard per game. 4th in points allowed so gotta give it for their defense., but that puts them behind us. I don't see how Lamar playing 10 games a year, them paying $50M per, giving up a ton of picks and not able to make additions to the offense  because of the cap moves the needle. Call me crazy. 

• cprenegade likes this

#2333 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 09:57 PM

The Jets do appear to be a QB away from being a serious contender, imo.  They already have a good defense.  Their running game suffered because they lost Breece Hall midway through the season.  They have decent receivers.  They remained in contention until late in the season despite getting awful QB play from a combination of Zach Wilson, Joe Flacco, and Mike White. 

My question is for the amount of money you spend on Lamar Jackson, does he move the needle that much more than say, Derek Carr?  Does he fit the Jets offense, or do they customize it the way the Ravens did?    Clearly he would be the big splash QB they want, I just don't know how much more bang you get with Lamar vs. someone like Carr who would be cheaper and cost a lot less in draft capital.  

But the x-factor is the owner up there has said they will do whatever it takes to fix the QB position and that usually leads to doing something stupid like Cleveland and handing out a record breaking, fully guaranteed contract.  

#2334 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 10:09 PM

The Jets were 29th in points per game. 26th in rushing yard per game. 4th in points allowed so gotta give it for their defense., but that puts them behind us. I don't see how Lamar playing 10 games a year, them paying $50M per, giving up a ton of picks and not able to make additions to the offense  because of the cap moves the needle. Call me crazy. 

Maybe the picks you have to trade are the big difference maker, but you could say the same for the Ravens.  Paying $50m per year and dealing with maybe not being able to upgrade some spots because of the cap.  Obviously the Ravens have the biggest advantage over everyone else because while everyone has to pay the money, the Ravens are the only team that won't be giving up multiple early round draft picks.  

#2335 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 10:59 PM

Maybe the picks you have to trade are the big difference maker, but you could say the same for the Ravens.  Paying $50m per year and dealing with maybe not being able to upgrade some spots because of the cap.  Obviously the Ravens have the biggest advantage over everyone else because while everyone has to pay the money, the Ravens are the only team that won't be giving up multiple early round draft picks.  

Lamar is getting paid either way. The pick situation is the difference. They're paying $45M+ regardless if they sign him or tag him. No picks lost. I think the X factor is we don't have an OC. To be honest I wouldn't mind a Jet's trade with the pick windfall and making a trade for Derek Carr.

• cprenegade likes this

#2336 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:14 AM

Not that I think this is happening, but this is definitely a deal they couldn't refuse. 

Baltimore Ravens quarterback, and pending free agent Lamar Jackson has been linked to several teams as landing spots. The former league MVP and Heisman Trophy winner has yet to strike up a deal with his original NFL team, and it's probably the hottest storyline after the second retirement of Tom Brady.

A few days ago, our own Mike Fisher posed a potential destination via trade in the Atlanta Falcons, and Fisher isn't the only one who sees this scenario

"Fed up after two years of fruitless extension negotiations, the Ravens franchise-tag Jackson," NFL reporter Ryan Dunleavy of the New York Post said of a potential scenario for a piece published Friday. 

"Falcons owner Arthur Blank — who built a close friendship with Michael Vick — sees Jackson as a carbon copy and OKs dealing three first-round picks and fully guaranteeing a new contract, copying the (Cleveland Browns') move to beat the Falcons in the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes last offseason." https://www.si.com/n...iKpACUSOrV54Hnw

#2337 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:19 AM

Three firsts seems like the baseline assumption for a trade, wouldn't go so far to say it cannot be refused.  If the Falcons pick this year were a little higher, then sure, but while #8 is a good pick its not nearly as valuable as say the #2 that the Texans hold and very well may be the equivalent of multiple firsts.  Comparable offer to what Houston got for Watson, though, since the current 1st in that deal was #13.

#2338 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:48 AM

Three firsts seems like the baseline assumption for a trade, wouldn't go so far to say it cannot be refused. If the Falcons pick this year were a little higher, then sure, but while #8 is a good pick its not nearly as valuable as say the #2 that the Texans hold and very well may be the equivalent of multiple firsts. Comparable offer to what Houston got for Watson, though, since the current 1st in that deal was #13.

I'm not sure how you turn down three firsts for a guy you can't sign. Call me crazy.

#2339 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:11 AM

Lamar is getting paid either way. The pick situation is the difference. They're paying $45M+ regardless if they sign him or tag him. No picks lost. I think the X factor is we don't have an OC. To be honest I wouldn't mind a Jet's trade with the pick windfall and making a trade for Derek Carr.

I am tired of the whole situation.  I think they make one last push at signing him and then make the best trade possible.

As for Carr, he can probably be had cheap.  

@mikeghg

#2340 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:11 AM

I'm not sure how you turn down three firsts for a guy you can't sign. Call me crazy.

You've changed the context here.  To me, "can't refuse" would mean you take the trade even if you can sign Lamar as an alternative.  

If you know Lamar won't sign, then certainly you take the best offer.  I doubt that 3 firsts is the best offer we'll get, but it is a fair offer especially with the first pick being #8 this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=