21 replies to this topic

#1 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:45 PM

RHP Nolan Hoffman from Seattle and RHP Cole Uvila from Texas, the "Driveline spin monster" (https://blogs.fangra...d-spin-monster/)

Hoffman was previewed by Baseball America (below)  

"A true sidearmer, Hoffman has long been an effective reliever going back to his days at Texas A&M. A fifth-round pick of the Mariners in 2018, Hoffman went 1-2, 3.53 between stints at Low-A Modesto and High-A Everett in 2021. Hoffman is able to work east and west in the strike zone with his heavy arm-side running arsenal. He pairs a low-90s two-seam fastball with true natural sink with a hard-running changeup, that despite some of the heaviest run in the minors (greater than 16 inches of run) still manages to land in the zone 60% of the time. A two-pitch reliever who gives you a unique look for an inning at a time with groundball-heavy stuff, Hoffman is especially effective against righthanded hitters, as could be expected for a low-slot sidearmer."

• BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#2 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:25 PM

https://twitter.com/...667624233918471

https://twitter.com/...DJfk1OHkGQ&s=08

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:25 PM

Any examples of minor league Rule 5 guys having future success?  I know there are a quite a few MLB guys that have carved out decent careers, not sure I recall hearing about anyone who was a former minor league Rule 5 selectee though I'm sure it must have happened.

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:26 PM

Any examples of minor league Rule 5 guys having future success? I know there are a quite a few MLB guys that have carved out decent careers, not sure I recall hearing about anyone who was a former minor league Rule 5 selectee though I'm sure it must have happened.

Tyler Gilbert threw a no-hitter for the Diamondbacks last year after being taken in the minor league phase of the rule 5 draft.

That’s all I’ve got. Yermin Mercedes was one but it was years before his hot start this season.
  • Mackus likes this

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:29 PM

Tyler Gilbert threw a no-hitter for the Diamondbacks last year after being taken in the minor league phase of the rule 5 draft.

That’s all I’ve got. Yermin Mercedes was one but it was years before his hot start this season.

Thanks.  I was talking about guys who contribute at any point in the future, not necessarily right away.

• BobPhelan likes this

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:48 PM

Im sure there are numerous out there that have carved out a decent run as RPs. Like above avg for a few years. Probably harder to find the same as a SP
  • BobPhelan likes this

#7 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:35 PM

I read today that O’s legend Alejandro de Aza was a minors rule 5. I don’t know if he was successful, but he did play in over 800 games.
  • Mackus likes this

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:46 PM

I read today that O’s legend Alejandro de Aza was a minors rule 5. I don’t know if he was successful, but he did play in over 800 games.

The list of All Stars is probably short but again IM sure there are guys that carved out productive runs. 

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:39 PM

I think he was a pretty decent player.  He had his moments.

@mikeghg

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:25 PM

If you simply play in over 800 MLB games after being a MiL Rule 5 guy, I think you can call that a success.

• BobPhelan likes this

#11 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:13 PM

Make it three. Traded for RHP Tommy Wilson, who was taken by Seattle earlier today. 

Wasn't Fangraphs Top 30 this year for the Mets, but was noted for his 96 mph fastball and good changeup. 

Only 15.1. innings this season in Double-A. 18 K/5 BB. .182 BAA.

• BobPhelan likes this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 December 2021 - 10:04 PM

Make it three. Traded for RHP Tommy Wilson, who was taken by Seattle earlier today.
Wasn't Fangraphs Top 30 this year for the Mets, but was noted for his 96 mph fastball and good changeup.
Only 15.1. innings this season in Double-A. 18 K/5 BB. .182 BAA.

He also happens to be Biff from Back to the Future’s son…
  • Mackus and Mike in STL like this

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:07 AM

If you simply play in over 800 MLB games after being a MiL Rule 5 guy, I think you can call that a success.

Yeah, de Aza unquestionably had a successful career and has gotta be near six sigma for any minor league Rule 5 draftees.

As a point of comparison because I have the numbers handy, less than a quarter of 1st round draft picks accrue greater than the 7 WAR that de Aza had for his career.

• makoman likes this

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:10 AM

He also happens to be Biff from Back to the Future’s son…

Young Biff or Old Biff?

• BobPhelan likes this

#15 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:32 AM

Would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the @Mariners organization for everything they’ve done for me!! It’s been a fantastic few hours with you all and I’m thankful for the opportunity 1f642.png

Let’s do this thing @Orioles1f919-1f3fc.png

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 December 2021 - 10:40 AM

Would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the @Mariners organization for everything they’ve done for me!! It’s been a fantastic few hours with you all and I’m thankful for the opportunity 1f642.png

Let’s do this thing @Orioles1f919-1f3fc.png

Sounds like a guy with a lot of irons in the fire, and one who likes social media.

@mikeghg

#17 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:21 PM

Sounds like a guy with a lot of irons in the fire, and one who likes social media.

I just want to get a look at his dad's sports almanac so I can see how long until the Orioles are good again...

• dude likes this

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:24 PM

I just want to get a look at his dad's sports almanac so I can see how long until the Orioles are good again...

It only covered 50 years...

• JeremyStrain, BobPhelan, Mike B and 1 other like this

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:51 PM

It only covered 50 years...

A 2015 Almanac isn't going to help us much in 2022. ;)

• BobPhelan and makoman like this
@JeremyMStrain

#20 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 December 2021 - 01:07 PM

Dammit haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users