#1 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:50 PM

So does this go in the book section or the tv section?  Since most of the chatter is related to the show I decided to start this thread so as not to spam the general TV discussion thread.  Below is a link to a podcast Brandon Sanderson did discussing the WoT TV show.   Some good bits in there and he is so polite when discussing Book 10 as well as a few of the other middle books :lol: .  The one main point he harps on for those that have read the books is to enjoy the TV show for what it is.  I've generally been able to do that and I think it's helped my enjoyment.  Having only read the series once and finishing it 6+ years ago it's easier for me to enjoy the ride and not get caught up in what's changed and what's stayed the same.  I think that's why I stopped enjoying GoT as much because I had read the books too many times and the show wasn't what I was hoping for.

Note:  In case you were wondering, Brandon is actually autographing his books while doing this interview.  If you've ever seen him do an interview or pod he likes to multitask and get some of his other work done while chatting.  I wish other authors were as good at multi tasking :)

• Mackus likes this

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 11:05 AM

Interesting hearing him talk about this.  In particular I found the scale that he used to describe the types of adaptations that exist, from "scene for scene remake or the source material" at one end with Harry Potter 1 as an example all the way out to "something unrelated but inspired by the source material" with The Shining as an example.  I also liked his "head cannon" explanation for how he's viewing the series.  I don't think I can view it that way, but it's interesting.

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,549 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 December 2021 - 11:03 PM

Ok I’m fully in. Episode 6 was great. I’ll have read all the books by the time season 2 comes out.
  • Mackus likes this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 07:45 AM

Yeah, agree, great episode.  And absolutely no action.  That's encouraging for the showrunner's ability to tell the story.

The audiobooks are really good, Bob, and help things go a lot faster.  Narrated by the same pair that do the Stormlight readings (at least the later ones, I did audiobooks for 8-11).

• BobPhelan likes this

#5 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,549 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 December 2021 - 08:25 AM

That’s good I really enjoy the job they do (but to be fair they’re basically the only narrators I’ve listened to so far other than another guy who did Elantris).

The main kids didn’t grab me but I’m very interested in the intricacies of the magical group of women (sorry the names of things aren’t sticking yet). Solid cliffhanger too.

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 December 2021 - 01:25 PM

That’s good I really enjoy the job they do (but to be fair they’re basically the only narrators I’ve listened to so far other than another guy who did Elantris).

The main kids didn’t grab me but I’m very interested in the intricacies of the magical group of women (sorry the names of things aren’t sticking yet). Solid cliffhanger too.

The Aes Sedai

The show is already diverting from the book, but the main kids should become more interesting in the story as it goes.  Remember one of them is the Dragon Reborn  which is the most important aspect of the series.  

• BobPhelan likes this

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,549 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 December 2021 - 03:35 PM

The Aes Sedai

The show is already diverting from the book, but the main kids should become more interesting in the story as it goes. Remember one of them is the Dragon Reborn which is the most important aspect of the series.

Ah that’s right. Good to know and good point about the dragon reborn.

#8 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 08:59 PM

The changes are driving me nuts.  I'm calling it a hate watch at this point.

The guy playing Loail is doing great work though.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:10 AM

You gotta separate book from screen.  TV makes it a little more plausible to stay true, as you've got 12 hours to tell a story instead of 2, but still is impossible to condense everything from a huge novel down.

Only change that I really didn't like or understand was Perrin's wife.  Got lots of small nitpicks or feelings of missed opportunities, but overall I'm really enjoying it.

I'm hoping they can put more money into the CGI next season if it's a major hit.  The exterior shots look good but all the interior scenes are awful.  They look much worse than other Amazon shows I've seen.

• BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#10 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:30 PM

Maybe the Perrin's wife thing is what did it to me?  Cause that's a change I so fundamentally disagree with and it's pretty massive.  They really started off on the wrong foot.

#11 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:18 AM

Maybe the Perrin's wife thing is what did it to me?  Cause that's a change I so fundamentally disagree with and it's pretty massive.  They really started off on the wrong foot.

If you listen to that Sanderson interview I linked it's his biggest "complaint" too.  To be fair I wasn't a fan of that either, that's something so traumatic that I find it hard to believe that he would be any kind of normal person for so long after that.   Having said that I've still been enjoying the show and will continue to watch.

I guess it would have to be a much more egregious change for me to stop watching.

#12 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 December 2021 - 12:02 PM

No complaints from me on episode 7.  I've really been digging Lan (then again I always liked his character in the books as well).

Obviously they won't be able to keep everything from the books but I am happy to see Padan Fain still included.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 12:04 PM

Agree, another very good episode.

Can't tell if they are going to make "the bartender" an important character or not.  

#14 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 December 2021 - 12:09 PM

Agree, another very good episode.

Can't tell if they are going to make "the bartender" an important character or not.  

That's Min so I would say yes.  If you need a refresher on her let me know and I can send you a pm

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 12:16 PM

No, I know who they're hinting at.  I'm wondering if they are not going to feature her long term and her appearance was just a little bit of fan service or if that was an introduction by first glimpse of a major character that's going to come back later.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 12:16 PM

The opening scene was thrilling.  Best set piece so far for the entire season.

• DuffMan likes this

#17 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 03:03 PM

Haven't read the books and really enjoyed the episodes so far, also watched the origin stories which have filled a few gaps for me.
@DaKittenz

#18 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:15 PM

I thought there was 9 episodes for season 1 surprised when I was watching 8 and realized it was the Season Finale!   A lot of good things in this episode: seeing civilzation before the breaking of the world was really amazing!  I really liked the guy that they had playing Ishmael.   The blight was really creepy which I liked (although no green man).  Looks like we are getting the Horn of Valere next season (will we eventually get Callandor as well?).  Also got our first glimpse of the Seanchan which might be one of the worst (evil) groups I've read about in any series.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:26 PM

You think that was Ishmael or just the Dark One?  I think the latter, as Moiraine didn't seem to think he was anyone other than the Dark One.

Will be interesting to see how far they diverge from the books.  The first season got further away as they went.  I'm guessing it moves pretty far away, with the major plot points being the same but tons of condensing and removing of lots of the ancillary characters.  Next year I think we meet the Aiel in full and they've gotta go to Caemlyn to meet a few important characters.  The Seanchan looked great and are a huge threat, but I wonder if they join the main story next season or if they are more offscreen and separate, gaining power and becoming a bigger problem to deal with in the future.

Really solid adaptation all things considered.  Hope that it does well and we get several seasons.

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 December 2021 - 05:49 PM

When I paused the show Amazon at least identified him as Ishmael.  My memory of the first book is that Ishamel was also known as Ba'alzamon and I think they thought he was the Dark One but not actually the Dark One.    Obviously the show is doing it's own thing so it remains to be seen what happens.

Agreed that we should see the Aiel next year as well as going to Caemlyn.   It really will be come a challenge to give all the important characters enough time.  I can think of at least 4 between the Aiel and Caemlyn that play a big part.  Do we get Faile next season too? 

Is Loial actually dead,  I'm trying to remember what else he had to do in the books that would be important enough to include in the show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=