271 replies to this topic

#261 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:09 AM

Are there two worse tackles starting on the same line than Villanueva and Phillips?

They're just incredibly bad pass protectors.  As far as run game blockers, I'd say they would be decent if Roman in all his brilliance, would just commit to a consistent ground game.  Freeman averaged 5 yards a carry yesterday but got only 13 carries.  It's always the same thing- a good run, another good run and then pass for the next 6 plays.  I mean, does Roman get some kind of perverse pleasure out of seeing his quarterbacks getting pummeled like crash test dummies?  And I don't want to hear the old, "they can't sustain a running attack with Freeman and Murray."  How do you know?  Has Roman tried to run consistently for 4 quarters over the past month or so?  I'd rather see them pull a New England and run 95% of the time than watch this sieve pass protection play after play. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#262 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:11 AM

Didn’t read through the thread but why in Gods name are we throwing behind the sticks to a covered receiver on 4th down???

I think in Huntley’s case, it was strictly to save his life.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#263 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:13 AM

So two games seems to be the Harbaugh penalty for rookies causing turnovers. That’s if you’re a first round pick. It gets progressively more stiff, ask Ty’son Williams.

Didn’t see Bateman the rest of the game after the INT off his hands a couple games ago, not at all last week, and not until the second half this week.

Completely unacceptable for a team that can’t score. He’s clearly one of the most talented guys on the roster.

#264 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:32 AM

So two games seems to be the Harbaugh penalty for rookies causing turnovers. That’s if you’re a first round pick. It gets progressively more stiff, ask Ty’son Williams.

Didn’t see Bateman the rest of the game after the INT off his hands a couple games ago, not at all last week, and not until the second half this week.

Completely unacceptable for a team that can’t score. He’s clearly one of the most talented guys on the roster.

Harbaugh's Shawshank is old and thorough.  Sometimes I think he'd rather risk losing a football game than swallow his pride and keep his best offensive players on the field.  Outside of Bisciotti ordering him to play someone, this song and dance will never change. 

#265 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:35 AM

Are there two worse tackles starting on the same line than Villanueva and Phillips?

God bless the QB behind anyone worse than these two.

#266 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:50 AM

Injuries are obviously too much to overcome at this point. You lose Campbell and Lamar for much of the game yesterday. I mean there isn't much left to lose at that point. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Real shame injuries completely derailed this season. I know every team faces injuries over a season but this is a rare case. I don't know of any team in recent memory that had to deal with this many injuries to playmakers on both sides of the ball. Even with all these injuries, to have a winning record, and still be competitive, makes you wonder what would happen had we not been this unlucky in the health dept. Gotta think we'd have 2 losses right now if we weren't so decimated.

It's doubtful they win another game, let alone two to get to 10 wins.

I guess we just need to prepare for the draft and get healthy for next year.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#267 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:13 AM

They'll be heavy dogs every game the rest of the way, but crazy that a single win might still get them the division.  They aren't so bad that beating Cincy or Pittsburgh (or both) is wildly unlikely.  Or perhaps more accurately, even if they are so bad, so are Cincy and especially Pittsburgh so winning there can't be ruled out.

Very weird seeing the AFC North being so weak.  Hopefully the Ravens can take advantage of it and somehow sneak into the playoffs as division winners.  If not, oh well, a pretty fraudulent playoff appearance with quick exit has been the absolute peak for this team most of the year, so I'm not crestfallen right now, that was earlier on. 

Bigger picture it's an absolute travesty to have squandered Lamar's free seasons the way they have.  2020 was amazing but the early exit left a bad taste.  To never get anywhere near to returning to that level these next two years, even if many of the root causes are external, is wildly disappointing.  Lamar is still about half price next year, so there is remaining opportunity to take advantage, but that window is slipping and it'll be much harder to get back to that level once Lamar is taking up 20% of the cap.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#268 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:17 AM

Re: Fraudulent playoff appearance

They have beat 3 of the AFC's playoff teams... if they win another game or two and make the playoffs it was earned even if the injuries have eliminated any ceiling. 

• Mackus and bmore_ken like this

#269 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:18 AM

Injuries are obviously too much to overcome at this point. You lose Campbell and Lamar for much of the game yesterday. I mean there isn't much left to lose at that point. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Real shame injuries completely derailed this season. I know every team faces injuries over a season but this is a rare case. I don't know of any team in recent memory that had to deal with this many injuries to playmakers on both sides of the ball. Even with all these injuries, to have a winning record, and still be competitive, makes you wonder what would happen had we not been this unlucky in the health dept. Gotta think we'd have 2 losses right now if we weren't so decimated.

It's doubtful they win another game, let alone two to get to 10 wins.

I guess we just need to prepare for the draft and get healthy for next year.

I'm not necessarily buying either of those scenarios. Take away a fumble that goes for a td by a cold coming in backup qb and it's a different game. I think it's quite possible for them to win two. Roman can help with more attention to the run game in his game plan. 

#270 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:22 AM

Re: Fraudulent playoff appearance

They have beat 3 of the AFC's playoff teams... if they win another game or two and make the playoffs it was earned even if the injuries have eliminated any ceiling. 

Fair.  Winning 8 or 9 or 10 games this year is what they'll have earned.  I meant fraudulent more in the sense that they have nothing beyond very outside hope of actually advancing if they get in.  And that going 9-8 or 10-7 in this division doesn't usually get you the title.

#271 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:12 AM

Can anybody explain the logic and intent of a rule that allows a player on the receiving team to step OB, play a ball in bounds and incur a penalty against the kicking team? I mean rules should have a reason, right?

It is a stupid rule, but give the Cleveland guy credit for knowing it and being able to execute it properly.  Easy way to give your team great field position without doing a thing.  I would bet the Ravens will bring that up in the offseason and it will be changed.  The easiest way to correct it is make kicks where the ball goes OB placed where they are now as a penalty on the kicking team.  If the player is OB and touches the ball, place the ball at the spot where it is touched.  

#272 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:25 AM

I like the rule only because it shows which players know the rules.  In a league where some of the players don't know that overtime can end in a tie, I appreciate when certain guys really know the ins and outs of their job.

Another rule I love for the same reason is the free touch rule on punts, once the kicking team touches the ball, nothing bad can happen to the returning team.  Bennie Thompson used to go grab the ball if it was still loose after the punting team touched it (perhaps inadvertantly) and start laterelling it or hopelessly fighting for more yards, running further and further backwards.  Because he knew that even if he fumbled and it was returned for a touchdown, the Ravens would still get the ball back wherever the kicking team touched it originally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=