• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:34 AM

Enfield isnt happening and we all know it. Not sure how to feel about Willard or Wes Miller. Sean Miller. Im in. He can build back up here. Right the wrong we made last time.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:37 AM

Oats isn't happening and we all know it, but don't feel that Enfield is unobtainable.  Him not getting an extension after last year is fairly baffling.  Schools don't usually play hardball with coaches coming off that type of run.  I could see him being willing to leave if the MD price is right.  Maryland is a better job than USC, IMO.  Not just higher on the same tier, Terps are a tier up.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:39 AM

I don't know enough about his involvement in the Adidas scandal to have a feel for if the Terps search committee would write him off for that reason.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:40 AM

Its Southern California. Its amazing. Hes got a smoke piece of a wife that Im betting loves SoCal. They also can pay him more than MD. Would like to be wrong but Im not and yes Oats aint happening either.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:42 AM

Enfield isnt happening and we all know it. Not sure how to feel about Willard or Wes Miller. Sean Miller. Im in. He can build back up here. Right the wrong we made last time.

They didn’t extend him when they clearly should’ve, and with Lincoln Riley in town, no one will even recognize him moving forward there anyway. I think he’s gettable, or hope he is at least. That’d be my first choice, although the tempo at USC isn’t fun.

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:42 AM

Am I wrong to be good with Crean? Not as a 1st or 2nd choice but hes not in the Brey category of gtfo here.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:43 AM

Yes, Crean would be a terrible choice IMO. Can recruit, can’t coach. Aren’t we tired of that yet?

Crean is a poor man’s Sean Miller, who IMO has enough of a track record of flipping in big games to question his big game coaching as well. Would be fine giving Miller a chance, but Crean shouldn’t be a consideration.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:44 AM

They didn’t extend him when they clearly should’ve, and with Lincoln Riley in town, no one will even recognize him moving forward there anyway. I think he’s gettable, or hope he is at least. That’d be my first choice, although the tempo at USC isn’t fun.

List your top 5 guys. At least of the names we are hearing talked about right now. No Oats.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:47 AM

List your top 5 guys. At least of the names we are hearing talked about right now. No Oats.

Not necessarily in this order, but I’d hone in on Enfield, Odom, English - someone young and exciting, and if that isn’t happening, shift towards Shaka or Miller.

BTW, this was a good article by Pat - but I’m curious why the assumption that there’s guys they can’t afford. You guys need to stop buying that from the University, they can do what they want.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:52 AM

Oats is going in my top 5!  

Oats

Enfield

Pope

Willard

Beilein

I admittedly do not know anything about most (all) of the young up-and-coming candidates that should also be in consideration, which is why my list skews old and established at major conference programs.  Some of those guys should be on the list, I'm sadly ignorant about them so haven't included on mine.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:56 AM

Not necessarily in this order, but I’d hone in on Enfield, Odom, English - someone young and exciting, and if that isn’t happening, shift towards Shaka or Miller.

BTW, this was a good article by Pat - but I’m curious why the assumption that there’s guys they can’t afford. You guys need to stop buying that from the University, they can do what they want.

Id be good with Shaka too but feel he needs to stay at Marquette for awhile no? Just got there. Tell me about Odom. English seems too inexperienced. Too risky.

#13 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:03 PM

A name that will never happen that I've seen bounced around is Sarunas Jasikevicius.  My favorite former Terp who has had great success coaching in Europe.  He seems like a Gary clone, and I don't think that type of, uh, verbal demonstration will work with today's athletes.  Could be a dumpster fire, but would be fascinating to watch!

• Mackus and Mashed Potatoes like this

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:04 PM

Oats is going in my top 5!  

Oats

Enfield

Pope

Willard

Beilein

I admittedly do not know anything about most (all) of the young up-and-coming candidates that should also be in consideration, which is why my list skews old and established at major conference programs.  Some of those guys should be on the list, I'm sadly ignorant about them so haven't included on mine.

If realistic, Oats would be top of my list.

Definitely on board with Beilein, I'd love that. Great idea.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:07 PM

A name that will never happen that I've seen bounced around is Sarunas Jasikevicius. My favorite former Terp who has had great success coaching in Europe. He seems like a Gary clone, and I don't think that type of, uh, verbal demonstration will work with today's athletes. Could be a dumpster fire, but would be fascinating to watch!

No. Has to relate to American kids. Too much risk.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:09 PM

2 important things that can't be overlooked here.

1. No Midwest guy this time around. Personality wise.

2. Has to pass the look test.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:11 PM

Beilein is a great coach but hes too old and his disaster in the NBA will be used against us in recruiting

Btw if we are going to pull a Michigan Id go with Steve Blake over any other alumni

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:13 PM

Id be good with Shaka too but feel he needs to stay at Marquette for awhile no? Just got there. Tell me about Odom. English seems too inexperienced. Too risky.

Odom is a guy who gets a lot out of what he has. He accomplished some really nice things at UMBC (Not just the 16/1 upset). Came up through VaTech's staff under Greenburg. Was at Charlotte a bit when they were decent. From Durham, his only knock. Now the head coach at Utah State. Ideally, we'd get to see how he did there a couple years first, so there's some risk here. 

His KenPom rankings at UMBC:

2021: 203 AdjO/139 AdjD/208 AdjT

2020: 258/252/255

2019: 313/119/311

2018: 206/124/170 (had the magical Tourney run)

2017: 108/297/52 (first year there, inherited the roster, had a 14-win improvement from the previous season)

At Utah State this year: 

2022: 73/66/216

It's difficult to project someone coaching at a school like UMBC to how they'd do at a program like MD. But the consistent characteristics of his teams seem to be, defense is substantially better than the offense, and slow tempo. At Utah St. with better talent, he's seeing a much better offense with that slow tempo. 

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:14 PM

A name that will never happen that I've seen bounced around is Sarunas Jasikevicius.  My favorite former Terp who has had great success coaching in Europe.  He seems like a Gary clone, and I don't think that type of, uh, verbal demonstration will work with today's athletes.  Could be a dumpster fire, but would be fascinating to watch!

I loved Sarunas as well.  Don't know anything about his coaching style or if he'd make any sense, but I'd love having him around.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:18 PM

Odom is a guy who gets a lot out of what he has. He accomplished some really nice things at UMBC (Not just the 16/1 upset). Came up through VaTech's staff under Greenburg. Was at Charlotte a bit when they were decent. From Durham, his only knock. Now the head coach at Utah State. Ideally, we'd get to see how he did there a couple years first, so there's some risk here. 

It's difficult to project someone coaching at a school like UMBC to how they'd do at a program like MD. But the consistent characteristics of his teams seem to be, defense is substantially better than the offense, and slow tempo. At Utah St. with better talent, he's seeing a much better offense with that slow tempo. 

It's weird having this conversation in December instead of March.  Odom might be one of the few guys being considered who could see their candidacy status go way up or down depending on how the rest of the season goes.  I wouldn't be excited about him currently, but if he has a big year at Utah St then things feel a lot different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=