#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:07 PM

You mean like, Texas A&M?

Yeah, exactly.  He can go back to one of the stepping-stone jobs to the 2nd or 1st tier programs.  He's just going the other way now.  Where did Billy Gillespie end up after UK?

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:11 PM

In all seriousness, the team had a great shot at getting over some humps before Covid cancelled the 19-20 season. Maybe had that played out, the feeling is a little different. Maybe if it played out as usual, out before the weekend, this move is past done.

Absolutely.  He gets to a conference Final and maybe an Elite 8 with that team and then has the year we had last year with a bare cabinet, his extension is far more Turgeon-friendly and Maryland doesn't have an out.  If he flames out in the Big Ten and doesn't reach the Sweet 16, then he's fired after last season even though it was a decent coaching job with the incomplete roster he left himself.

#63 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:13 PM

Last I talked to one they were pretty split. There have always been a few that wanted a splashier hire, but majority was for giving him a chance. Writing was kind of on the wall when they brought Manning in, because he was brought in to improve the local recruiting. If they didn't have faith in Turg and his local recruiting, he wasn't going to last.

Ironic, since all they needed to do for local recruiting was hold on to the guy they had all along.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#64 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, exactly. He can go back to one of the stepping-stone jobs to the 2nd or 1st tier programs. He's just going the other way now. Where did Billy Gillespie end up after UK?

He went to Texas tech and then resigned due to a practice time scandal. He's at a school that's in their first year as a d1 school now.

That's probably something similar to what Turgeon will do. Except Turgeon hasn't been known to be a rule breaker so he will probably make some mid major or bottom feeder p5 school really happy. And that makes him a pretty good fit for a lot of programs. He's just too high-floor, low-ceiling for a place like MD that has high expectations (and in some cases maybe delusions of grandeur.)

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:48 PM

Hah!  University picked a good day to send out donation emails.

• Mike in STL likes this

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 08:45 AM

I wish they had named Patsos as interim coach.  Ridiculous and silly idea, but it'd sure be fun for a few months.

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:12 AM

Hopefully the hire is someone that is universally lauded. 

Shouldn't be someone where a percentage of your base is like, "I have questions, but we'll we will see how it goes." 

You need someone where everyone goes, "That's logical, that's a great hire. I'm excited." 

But more than anything imo, you need immediate results over the next 3-5 years.
You need Big Ten Regular Season, Big Ten Tournament, and NCAA Tournament high end success. 

That's why I'm not totally against an older hire, that could produce in the immediate. If you were to hire a Rick Pitino, or a Beilein and they kicked ass for 3 years, the job would only be that much more attractive when you went to make the next hire. 

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:32 AM

CBS Sports: Maryland fans will finally get the new coach they've been wanting after wearing down Mark Turgeon

https://www.cbssport...-case-for-no-1/

#69 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:24 AM

A few more quick, scattered notes on this based on some more info that has come out:

• It does seem more and more that this was a relatively "quick" decision, and that the scattered boos heard after the VT game were at least a non-minimal part of the decision.  Which, I just don't even know how to respond to.  If you can't handle being booed as a major D1 coach, then you just shouldn't be in that profession.
  • I read a comment that after the Richmond game, he made a joke about Damon Evans asking him to schedule hard games.  Talking about what a good league the Atlantic 10 was.  I know Richmond has a good program, but the likes of Richmond, George Mason at home - that's not a hard schedule.  But apparently he thought it was.  It reminds me of that close loss to Seton Hall a few years back when he talked about what an "amazing win" that would have been.  And again no disrespect to Seton Hall - but Maryland beating Seton Hall shouldn't be "amazing".

That reiterates to me...he just didn't quite get it.  Speculative on my end here, but I truly think he thought he was doing a great job and when he started hearing some fan unrest he put one foot out the door (we heard rumors of him sniiffing around after last year), and then when he heard the boos in the arena that was enough.  I still think he's a decent coach for a mid-major or even for a major program that doesn't have the expectations that MD does (Texas A &M was a perfect example), but I don't think he understood the expectations for a program that MD hopes to be.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#70 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:39 AM

And one last note - this team, frankly doesn't look very good.  Like maybe 5 or 6 wins in conference type team.

Certainly saves face for Turgeon if he steps aside now, then if this team struggles as it looks like it might, he can point to how bad the team was after he left.  That beats being fired after a bad Big 10 season.

#71 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:53 AM

I’ve been saying it for years, he just had the wrong mindset for a program like this. A mindset of mediocrity. If I make the tournament, that’s good enough, I can relax. That type of thing. Not an alpha, not someone who’s going to push himself and the program to go further.

He should go to High School and coach there.

#72 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:24 PM

I’ve been saying it for years, he just had the wrong mindset for a program like this. A mindset of mediocrity. If I make the tournament, that’s good enough, I can relax. That type of thing. Not an alpha, not someone who’s going to push himself and the program to go further.

He should go to High School and coach there.

I don't think this is fair to Turgeon. Programs like TAMU, Nebraska, schools thay are either bottom tier P5 schools for basketball or top tier mid-majors, would *love* Turgeon. At Maryland he's replacing a hall of fame alumnus that won a NC and frankly the fan base is a little delusional. So yeah Maryland is a weird fit for a high floor low ceiling guy like Turgeon.

#73 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:25 PM

I don't think this is fair to Turgeon. Programs like TAMU, Nebraska, schools thay are either bottom tier P5 schools for basketball or top tier mid-majors, WOULD *love* Turgeon. At Maryland he's replacing a hall of fame alumnus that won a NC and frankly the fan base is a little delusional. So yeah Maryland is a weird fit for a high floor low ceiling guy like Turgeon. But a lot of P5 schools would love that level of success.

Sure, but seriously what’s the point when the man’s perfectly content just to taste a little success? As soon as he’s got anything to hang his hat on, he’s good. I’d go for more of an unknown that wants to be great, than hire a retread that is perfectly content being OK.

#74 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:52 PM

Sure, but seriously what’s the point when the man’s perfectly content just to taste a little success? As soon as he’s got anything to hang his hat on, he’s good. I’d go for more of an unknown that wants to be great, than hire a retread that is perfectly content being OK.

Preaching to the choir.

#75 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 December 2022 - 10:05 AM

Mark Turgeon speaks publicly for first time since abrupt Maryland departure

she/her

#76 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:11 PM

The part about fans harassing his family online is infuriating. I know there isn't a whole lot of class to be found online, but how horrible do you need to be to want to troll a coach's children on social media? Hopefully karma catches up with those people eventually, I imagine misfortune and joylessness tends to follow you around when you're that unpleasant. It's a great fanbase, I hate that it's sullied by such deplorable behavior.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#77 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:23 PM

Turgeon reportedly set to call the Ball State-Toledo game on CBS Sports Network this week alongside Chick Hernandez.
@BSLZackKiesel

#78 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 January 2023 - 09:15 PM

Turgeon reportedly set to call the Ball State-Toledo game on CBS Sports Network this week alongside Chick Hernandez.

Slightly odd to have two people based in the DMV go to Ohio for a random MAC game lol

she/her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=