#1 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for everything Turgeon. I’m obviously pleased with this decision, but a standup guy and he did his best for us. I respect that a lot.
  • Mackus, BSLZackKiesel, Mike B and 1 other like this

#2 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:09 PM

Wow. Rarely do you see in-season college basketball firings, particularly this early.

https://umterps.com/...head-coach.aspx

In a mutual decision, Maryland Athletics announced that Mark Turgeon is stepping down as the head coach for the men's basketball program.

"After a series of conversations with Coach Turgeon, we agreed that a coaching change was the best move for Coach Turgeon and for the Maryland Men's Basketball program," said Damon Evans, Barry P. Gossett Director of Athletics. "He has dedicated over a decade of his life to the University of Maryland, and has coached with distinction and honor. He leaves College Park as the 2020 Big Ten Conference champion and with more than 225 victories. He's a great coach and a great person, and I wish Mark, his wife Ann and his entire family all the best in the next chapter of their lives."

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:09 PM

Wow!

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:11 PM

Doesn't matter but I'm curious about how much they needed to pay him.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:11 PM

This is crazy.  I was only like 30% confident he'd be gone even if they missed the tournament.

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:14 PM

Mark Turgeon is a good man, and a good coach. But his best wasn't good enough here, and it was time for him to go.

Credit to Damon Evans for making this decision swiftly. His next moves will define his tenure as Athletic Director.

• BSLMikeLowe and Mackus like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:16 PM

Knew he was done, shocked it was done now. Damon Evans showing us something!

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:17 PM

Great news!

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:24 PM

I share everyone's surprise at the timing, but not the action. I had a hard time seeing Turge come back next year without a major turnaround that there was no evidence would happen. I also give credit to AD Evans for pulling the trigger-took some guts, and a feeling that the season was heading down the toilet.  Ultimately, Turge has not proven to be a good offensive coach. That was forgivable at Texas A&M, but not here, and not against Big Ten competition. 

Let's see what Manning can do. His time at Wake Forest was a major disappointment-maybe lessons he learned from that experience will serve him well here, I hope he can push the right buttons to salvage a good season and make a case for the job long term.

Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:26 PM

This is a massive opportunity for Manning, and a clear opportunity for him to audition for this job. Wonder if that impacted Evans' timing at all.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:27 PM

I have no interest in Danny Manning long term right now.  Even if the team turns around and plays great, I don't envision hoping that they keep him.  He'll have a chance to change a lot of minds though, mine included.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:27 PM

This is a massive opportunity for Manning, and a clear opportunity for him to audition for this job. Wonder if that impacted Evans' timing at all.

I'd think of this aspect as more of a consideration for Turgeon, if this was indeed mutual in any way.  

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:29 PM

There is big money involved here, so seems like that either Turgeon walked away from a lot of it (unlikely) or the people with deep pockets who have been his advocate in recent years finally had seen enough and were willing to write the checks needed to pull the trigger.  While I think they can afford it, I doubt that the athletic department is footing the entire bill for this buyout and impending salary increase that'll have to happen to get the next guy.

#14 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:29 PM

BTW, this appears to be the first time Maryland Men's Basketball has ever made a coaching change during the season. The program has had a lot of stability over the years and hopefully will continue to going forward.

Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#15 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:32 PM

There is big money involved here, so seems like that either Turgeon walked away from a lot of it (unlikely) or the people with deep pockets who have been his advocate in recent years finally had seen enough and were willing to write the checks needed to pull the trigger.  While I think they can afford it, I doubt that the athletic department is footing the entire bill for this buyout and impending salary increase that'll have to happen to get the next guy.

I think that scenario is quite likely the case. It makes me wonder if the recent insanity with college football coaches' salaries will have any spill over into men's hoops coaches.

Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:32 PM

Shocked it happened in season but it felt inevitable. I said that after the game the other night.

#17 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:34 PM

I'm just here to celebrate
  • You Play to Win the Game, Dr. FLK and McNulty like this
@DaKittenz

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:35 PM

Absolutely no on Manning long term. Lets go baby. Everyone knows the job is available. Lets start flirting.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:37 PM

I think this is the most sports-shocked I've been since Jose Fernandez died.  We've been talking about potential replacements this week and musing about getting rid of Turgeon for years, but I am completely caught off guard that they did it right now.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:38 PM

I think this is the most sports-shocked I've been since Jose Fernandez died. We've been talking about potential replacements this week and musing about getting rid of Turgeon for years, but I am completely caught off guard that they did it right now.

Kobe
  • You Play to Win the Game and B00E00N00 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=