143 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:18 PM

That #18 recruiting class last year means nothing if you can't keep the guys there. 

I think that will be one of the new normals fans will have to adjust to, that being getting excited about a particular recruiting class. And this is not going to be particular to just MD. Coaches are really going to have to be adept at adjusting to how they build their rosters, and embrace a lot of different methods of bringing in the players you need.

MD had the #18 ranked class too in 2017. If you go back and look at the list of names, only 4 were still around this season, and while all 4 had an impact this season they were also among those ranked in the bottom half of the class. Many of the names we were most excited about moved on in one way or another.

I wouldn't be surprised if many college staffs have either already expanded or plan to expand just to have people responsible for scouting college players across the country, just so when names hit the portal you as the coaches have someone as a resource to give you info on who would be fit for your team....just like there have been people on staffs for years that do this sort of thing with HS recruiting.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:29 PM

I figure this has grown to the point where it is worthy of its own thread. Below are the players from this season's team currently in the portal.

Frankie Burgess, DE (Jackson State)

Isaiah Jacobs, RB

Joseph Boletepeli, DE

Mitchell Gorgas, OL

Peny Boone, RB (Toledo)

Terrence Lewis, LB (UCF)

Deajuan McDougle, WR (Tulane)

Zach Perkins, OL (USF)

Branden Jennings, LB (Kansas State)

Almosse Titi, DL

Rashard Jackson, RB

Osita Smith, LB

Reece Udinski, QB (Richmond)

Carlos Carriere, WR (Cent. Michigan)

Brian Cobbs, WR (Utah State)

Darryl Jones, WR (NC State)

Evan Gregory, OL

Nick DeGennaro, WR (Richmond)

Deshawn Holt, OLB (Toledo)

DeJuan Ellis, WR/DB (Rhode Island)

Malik Jackson, TE (Towson)

Dino Tomlin, WR (Boston College)

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:01 PM

Locksley on the slew of recent departures (via Glenn Clark): "We wish every last one of those guys well…I know for Terps Nation it's like the sky is falling…I'm okay with it. The portal gives & the portal taketh away."

• You Play to Win the Game and glenn__davis like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:57 PM

Is Locksley in the portal too?
  • BaltBird 24 and ShoNuff07 like this

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:28 AM

I think Maryland football is always going to be what it is.  I have been waiting years for it to ascend from at best mediocrity.  I think it is who we are.

@mikeghg

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:42 AM

Another transfer to watch for is Delaware LB Colby Reeder. He'd be a graduate transfer, and Maryland just offered him a scholarship. He has some connections to Rutgers, but would be a big addition for the Terps.

@BSLZackKiesel

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:44 AM

Not concerned about this. The one thing Locks can do is acquire talent.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#8 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:58 AM

I listened to his interview with Glenn Clark. Primary takeaways were that his staff has been planning for this sort of turnover for years. They expect at least 10% of the roster to be gone the following year. He also said that, for every single player who left this season, there was mutual interest in them leaving and they all came to him before entering the portal.

He's primarily focused on recruiting the offensive line, linebackers, and defensive backs this off-season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 December 2021 - 12:03 PM

The transfer, even expected ones are a concern.  Maryland is overmatched against most B!0 schools, and the only way to catch up is to add to the existing talent base.  IMO a revolving door, is not a way to catch up.

That said, I realize the portal is here to stay.

@mikeghg

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2021 - 12:08 PM

The transfer, even expected ones are a concern.  Maryland is overmatched against most B!0 schools, and the only way to catch up is to add to the existing talent base.  IMO a revolving door, is not a way to catch up.

That said, I realize the portal is here to stay.

It's 11 players in the portal, and only 3 really took meaningful snaps last season. On a roster of more than 120 players, that's hardly a "revolving door".

• ShoNuff07 likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,010 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 12:41 PM

I absolutely think he'll add talent.  And if he adds players who want to be here (and removes those who don't); that's a good thing overall.

However, the flip side to me is that if you lose guys like Jennings, and Lewis...  then you really aren't attempting to incrementally build a roster over several years imo.  Basically you are going year-to-year.  

If you are stacking classes and building a roster... there is an argument for some patience. 

If it's about going out and pounding the portal and offering immediate playing time etc... then it's about some immediate growth, and finding pieces which help you produce (more) 2022 results. 

Certainly realize this (the portal) isn't a situation unique to MD, but what's the bigger point to me are the things which are unique to MD as MD tries to build a program which can compete in the Big Ten East. 

If the game has changed and it's no longer about stacking classes, incremental growth....then go get what you need in the portal to take another (more significant) step in '22.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 December 2021 - 12:53 PM

Go see if some freshman lineman bench warmers at Iowa or Wisconsin wanna come block for the Terps and start every game next season.
  • ShoNuff07 likes this

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2021 - 01:31 PM

I absolutely think he'll add talent.  And if he adds players who want to be here (and removes those who don't); that's a good thing overall.

However, the flip side to me is that if you lose guys like Jennings, and Lewis...  then you really aren't attempting to incrementally build a roster over several years imo.  Basically you are going year-to-year.  

If you are stacking classes and building a roster... there is an argument for some patience. 

If it's about going out and pounding the portal and offering immediate playing time etc... then it's about some immediate growth, and finding pieces which help you produce (more) 2022 results. 

Certainly realize this (the portal) isn't a situation unique to MD, but what's the bigger point to me are the things which are unique to MD as MD tries to build a program which can compete in the Big Ten East. 

If the game has changed and it's no longer about stacking classes, incremental growth....then go get what you need in the portal to take another (more significant) step in '22.

You've fixated on the departures of Jennings and Lewis, I assume because of how they were rated as high school recruits. I think one thing many people fail to realize is how truly arbitrary those rankings are. There are countless stories of schools paying them to improve their recruits' rankings (*cough* USC *cough*), or bumping certain players because of their attendance at events they hosted (*cough* Rivals *cough*).

There were 21 other players in Maryland's 2021 recruiting class, many of whom contributed far more on the field than Jennings or Lewis. Colby McDonald was one of the lowest-rated players in the entire class, but was the team's second-leading rusher as a true freshman despite only playing in 7 games. Hell, Ty Johnson was a two-star recruit and he's the best running back Maryland's had in a decade.

I really don't think it's fair to say that just because two highly-rated players decided to transfer that it's impossible to stack quality recruiting classes and grow as a program. There are a lot of ways to judge recruiting classes, and these rankings are one of the worst ones.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,010 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 02:29 PM

You've fixated on the departures of Jennings and Lewis, I assume because of how they were rated as high school recruits. I think one thing many people fail to realize is how truly arbitrary those rankings are. There are countless stories of schools paying them to improve their recruits' rankings (*cough* USC *cough*), or bumping certain players because of their attendance at events they hosted (*cough* Rivals *cough*).

There were 21 other players in Maryland's 2021 recruiting class, many of whom contributed far more on the field than Jennings or Lewis. Colby McDonald was one of the lowest-rated players in the entire class, but was the team's second-leading rusher as a true freshman despite only playing in 7 games. Hell, Ty Johnson was a two-star recruit and he's the best running back Maryland's had in a decade.

I really don't think it's fair to say that just because two highly-rated players decided to transfer that it's impossible to stack quality recruiting classes and grow as a program. There are a lot of ways to judge recruiting classes, and these rankings are one of the worst ones.

We can't say 12 months ago how significant it is that MD is landing them, and then pretend that losing them 12 months later doesn't hurt.  You can't buy into the consensus rankings about their abilities when they sign, and then dismiss the rankings when they've departed.

I mean, they can be highly talented and not right for the program (not bought in, not willing to work, or whatever). 

Or they could be not as good as their rankings suggested (possible). 

But you recruited them.  You brought them in.  So you and your staff bought into their abilities, and hopefully that decision to recruit and pursue them was tied to more than the 247 / ESPN / Rivals recruiting rankings, right?

(Also beyond on-field production, you are trying to sell your fanbase on what you are building. So rankings matter in that regard too.)

So, it didn't work out.  That's fine, things happen, but MD isn't Ohio State right now obviously.  If the Buckeyes lose a couple of highly regarded guys, who cares? It's irrelevant, because they are always going to sign other 4 and 5 stars to replace them - immediately. 

If MD loses the couple of highest rated guys in their classes... they might find other good players, but they aren't eating into the talent deficit they face vs. Ohio State / Michigan / Penn State if they aren't stacking, and have to deal with the immediate attrition.  Then you are just trying to replace what you had, which already wasn't good enough. 

(And in this case, these signings probably helped encourage Campbell to move on.)

And yes, certainly  players can be undervalued or overvalued by the rankings individually. And yes, undervalued talent can be coached up or developed. And good coaches can find a way to scheme / maximize whatever talent they have. But pretty much each week is do you have enough talent to line up and compete? And when you are in the ballpark talent wise, you have a chance, and if the answer is no - then you don't.  

It's good that McDonald showed something, since Boone also left.

Locksley is going to add talent, and he was pretty straight forward with his comments.  He pointed to most of these guys not contributing statistically to the record this year.  He talked about guys not being bought in.  

I completely agree he needs guys who want to be here. And I think he'll go find guys who do, and he'll land talent who can help now.

But if Locksley (anyone, any program) is no longer going to be able to keep the guys you recruit... then any talk about building rosters  just seems largely irrelevant to me.  Patience wise, maybe it can still be argued that you are building culture, and need incremental steps... but personally, I think you ask for quicker results if this is the world now. Go get what you need in the portal to make quicker significant improvements.

• BSLMikeLowe and Mike B like this

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:17 AM

Another transfer to watch for is Delaware LB Colby Reeder. He'd be a graduate transfer, and Maryland just offered him a scholarship. He has some connections to Rutgers, but would be a big addition for the Terps.

This guy?

What is his story, and by that I mostly mean how does he have any eligibility left? My math isn’t great but even with a redshirt plus 2020 not counting, he should have burned all four years by now. At this point they ought to be recruiting his kids.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:39 PM

If they're interested in beefing up the WR corps, might want to keep an eye on Dont'e Thornton. He was a high 4-star from Mt. St. Joe's who signed with Oregon in 2021. His playing time was limited this season (5 rec, 85 yds, 1TD), but the physical tools are there. Haven't heard that he's entered the portal yet, but with the Cristobal news both current players and recruits are bolting for the exits in Eugene.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLZackKiesel and ShoNuff07 like this

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:15 PM

247 is now expanding its team rankings to include transfers. They'll still do team rankings for traditional recruits, plus a separate transfer ranking, and one that combines the two. It looks like in some cases they update the individual player rating for transfers from what they were rated coming out of HS.

https://247sports.co...duct-177722848/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 December 2021 - 02:10 PM

WR Jacob Copeland (Florida) will be one of many former 4-star SEC players on campus this weekend. He was the Gators' leading receiver this season and should have two years of eligibility remaining. Locksley recruited him out of high school while he was at Alabama.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 02:29 PM

West Virginia LB VanDarius Cowan announced he's transferring to UM.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,010 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 02:43 PM

West Virginia LB VanDarius Cowan announced he's transferring to UM.

Former 4star, once committed to Alabama.

Cowan recorded 15 tackles and one sack in 10 appearances this season. His final outing with the Mountaineers was cut short when he was ejected from the game against the Wildcats for targeting.

Cowan came to WVU after transferring from Alabama. He will have one year of eligibility remaining.

During his time with the Mountaineers, Cowan appeared in a total of 17 games over the course of three seasons. He recorded 38 total tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, and four sacks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=