#41 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:24 PM

Firing Turgeon and hiring some random dude off the street would probably inspire more confidence than Turgeon currently has.

We really screwed up not hiring Sean Miller, but at least Melo gave us some fun years.

Maryland was not sure of Miller and maybe for the right reasons 

@mikeghg

#42 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:25 PM

Which would be great after not having an offense for 11 years.

Id watch. It would be frustrating if we losing too often but I can say that more pace, efficiency , and scoring would be easier on the eyes

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:08 PM

And here I was thinking we were just banging our heads against the wall with this thread.

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:09 PM

Gonna make some big assumptions, but I think that moving on Turgeon now means that they've got buy-in from the boosters.  That makes me think they can afford to go after most any name they want.  Many people on this and other lists might turn them down, but I'm not gonna rule anyone out, including Oats who I know has a $12M buyout, solely for cost reasons.

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:11 PM

Have to nail this hire. Swing big here.Cant have a single or even a double hire. If you need to reset in  4 years so be it but dont settle

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:16 PM

Is John Beilien too old?

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:22 PM

Is John Beilien too old?

69 in Feb. 

If you wanted him for a 5 year run, maybe.... but his age, and the NBA experience would definitely be used against him.

#48 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:37 PM

Is John Beilien too old?

Yes, and he's the same age as Rick Pitino before people start beating that drum.

Get someone younger who can really build up the program, not a guy you're going to have to replace in 5 years.

@BSLZackKiesel

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:43 PM

I have zero interest in Pitino, but I'd prefer Beilein over many of the younger candidates.  Not the top targets, but if those guys all say no, I'm a bit torn on going for a great but only short-term solution or a lesser known guy from a mid-major who could be the next great coach or could be a total bust.

I'd certainly be very excited for the next few years if Beilein is the guy.  You just need to also start setting up for the next guy basically right away. 

#50 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:46 PM

Gonna make some big assumptions, but I think that moving on Turgeon now means that they've got buy-in from the boosters. That makes me think they can afford to go after most any name they want. Many people on this and other lists might turn them down, but I'm not gonna rule anyone out, including Oats who I know has a $12M buyout, solely for cost reasons.

If the Terps are not paying the remainder of Turgeon's 2021 salary the buyout number is almost identical to what it was before he signed the extension. But I actually think that Turgeon chose to leave once they gave him his buyout. He was underachieving and he knew it. He gets some time to recharge and gets first dibs on any new HC jobs for next year. Also he doesn't have to have the remainder of this season on his record, and there are (unconfirmed) reports that his family was getting harassed. I think Evans had buy-in from boosters to can him at the end of season and Turgeon decided to shorten that time frame.

#51 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:50 PM

Maryland was not sure of Miller and maybe for the right reasons

IIRC Miller turned us down because KA wouldn't give him exemptions on school admits.

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:19 PM

I have zero interest in Pitino, but I'd prefer Beilein over many of the younger candidates.  Not the top targets, but if those guys all say no, I'm a bit torn on going for a great but only short-term solution or a lesser known guy from a mid-major who could be the next great coach or could be a total bust.

I'd certainly be very excited for the next few years if Beilein is the guy.  You just need to also start setting up for the next guy basically right away. 

If they wanted Beilein as a caretaker, and placed him with a Head Coach in waiting like Juan... would you like that arrangement?

#53 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:03 PM

Absolutely don't want Juan.

Enfield would be very interesting.

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:20 PM

If they wanted Beilein as a caretaker, and placed him with a Head Coach in waiting like Juan... would you like that arrangement?

Not a fan of those scenarios. Get the guy you want to be your long term coach now. Sounds like the money will be there, so open the checkbook if you have to. And dust off those drawings of the new practice facility they plan to build in a couple years.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#55 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:39 PM

Juan has to show he can win in the MEAC before he should even begin to look at the Maryland job.  I'd look at it differently if he were getting 18-20 wins a season at Coppin State.  So absolutely not.

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:44 PM

Juan has to show he can win in the MEAC before he should even begin to look at the Maryland job.  I'd look at it differently if he were getting 18-20 wins a season at Coppin State.  So absolutely not.

No one is getting 18-20 wins at Coppin State. Not when they have to go out and play all those "paycheck games" to keep the athletic department funded. Since taking over in 2017 his record in the MEAC has slowly but steadily improved. 

With that, I would not consider hiring him for one second (at least right now). He is nowhere near ready for a job like MD. That would be one of those classic moves of trying to relive your glory days that almost always blows up in your face.

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:44 PM

No.  Don't want them picking the next guy at the same time and in particular I don't see Juan as having the resume to currently be the guy. Just needs to be something you talk to Beilein about as something he would eventually be comfortable with.  I absolutely hate the official coach-in-waiting thing, but the idea of looking for assistants who could evnetually take over would be an interview topic with Beilein and he'd move behind lesser candidates on my pecking order if he's not on board with that.

#58 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:53 PM

No one is getting 18-20 wins at Coppin State. Not when they have to go out and play all those "paycheck games" to keep the athletic department funded. Since taking over in 2017 his record in the MEAC has slowly but steadily improved. 

With that, I would not consider hiring him for one second (at least right now). He is nowhere near ready for a job like MD. That would be one of those classic moves of trying to relive your glory days that almost always blows up in your face.

The best teams in the MEAC get to 17-20 wins regularly.  Thats where he needs to be at.  They go like 12-4 or 13-3 in conference play and about 6-10 in NC play.  There's usually at least a few bottom feeders on the NC schedule that he can draw from - it's not like they have 15 games vs top-50 teams.

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:04 PM

Anyone remember when Gary was hired?  Did it matter to the administration and AD that he was an alum or was that just a nice quirk or possibly a reason why he would've considered the job in the first place when his resume was better than what Maryland deserved at the time?

Finding someone in the family wasn't really a part of the job search to find Turgeon.  Part of that is that there really isn't the coaching tree that blue bloods like UNC or Indiana or Kansas or UCLA might have.  Another is that of the few guys with ties there really weren't any candidates that made much sense.  Gary's former assistants hadn't really excelled at smaller jobs (and in Hahn's case had a pretty ugly scandal) and none of the former players were into coaching.  

I really doubt that finding a "Maryland Man" is part of this in any way.  And I don't think it needs to be.  Turgeon's problems had nothing to do with him not being a MD grad. 

#60 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:19 PM

The best teams in the MEAC get to 17-20 wins regularly.  Thats where he needs to be at.  They go like 12-4 or 13-3 in conference play and about 6-10 in NC play.  There's usually at least a few bottom feeders on the NC schedule that he can draw from - it's not like they have 15 games vs top-50 teams.

Who do those teams play out of conference? I always read that Coppin's athletic department revenue is such that they have to use most of their non-con schedule to go play power-level programs just to get the money they need to keep their other sports funded. Maybe times have changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=