#181 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:42 PM

Yeah there’s no way that’s happening lol

Pitino got a super raw deal at Louisville but even if he didn't, screw it. What does MD have to lose? No one cares anymore. Fans are booing the coach and chanting to fire him. Going to turn into an also ran soon if they don't get this hire right.

Rick would win. Xfinity Center would be packed. They'd be back in the 2nd weekend of the tournament.
@PeterDiLutis

#182 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:55 PM

It's a pretty horrible time to be an Orioles and Maryland fan. If not for the Ravens, I'd give up on sports completely.

Can we fire Turgeon and Locksley as a package deal?

Maybe I should finally embrace LA teams.  I've only been living in LA for almost 17 years now :P

#183 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:59 PM

Pitino got a super raw deal at Louisville but even if he didn't, screw it. What does MD have to lose? No one cares anymore. Fans are booing the coach and chanting to fire him. Going to turn into an also ran soon if they don't get this hire right.

Rick would win. Xfinity Center would be packed. They'd be back in the 2nd weekend of the tournament.

His reputation is garbage. Most major universities wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole, much less Maryland. Not to mention the guy will be 70 years old next season.

Let’s focus on finding candidates who aren’t scandalous septuagenarians.
  • Mackus likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#184 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:13 AM

His reputation is garbage. Most major universities wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole, much less Maryland. Not to mention the guy will be 70 years old next season.

Let’s focus on finding candidates who aren’t scandalous septuagenarians.

This. Cant do it. I would hire one of the Miller brothers.

#185 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 02 December 2021 - 02:49 AM

This. Cant do it. I would hire one of the Miller brothers.

I liked Sean Miller but I'm worried about his pay for play scandal. Not a great look.

I don't entirely trust anything Indiana does, so I'd take Archie's performance there with a grain of salt, but Archie looked *really* over his head there. He might be a change of scenery guy but he feels like another Turgeon.

#186 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:20 AM

I'm not as up-to-date with the overall state of college basketball like I used to be so I don't have a good feel for who good candidates would be.  I think the program has gone backwards over Turgeon's tenure, so we'll may end up with someone with less of a resume than Turgeon himself had at the time he was hired.  Doesn't mean they are less of a coach, just not yet proven at as high of a level as Turgeon was as the time. And still worth making the move regardless of who we think we can land.  I'm absolutely rejecting any "grass isn't always greener" arguments.  It's time to find out what someone else can do because we know what Turgeon can do and it isn't nearly good enough.

#187 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:41 AM

I'm not as up-to-date with the overall state of college basketball like I used to be so I don't have a good feel for who good candidates would be. I think the program has gone backwards over Turgeon's tenure, so we'll may end up with someone with less of a resume than Turgeon himself had at the time he was hired. Doesn't mean they are less of a coach, just not yet proven at as high of a level as Turgeon was as the time. And still worth making the move regardless of who we think we can land. I'm absolutely rejecting any "grass isn't always greener" arguments. It's time to find out what someone else can do because we know what Turgeon can do and it isn't nearly good enough.

I dont get the support Turge apparently had from donors and fans last spring. Everyone seems to feel its time. Ive become less and less a fire this or that guy over the last few years. Stability is good and the grass isnt always greener. Im convinced Locksley isnt capable of being a guy to win 8 or 9 games in the B10. Let alone 10+. However, I do understand the thought that you let him try to build or rebuild. I get that has a purpose and Im fine with it for now. With Turge its time. He is not taking us to a FF and and we all know it. He knows it. I think thats why apparently hes flirted with the idea of moving back to the midwest to coach. Lets do this already. Every knows it is time.

#188 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:29 AM

I'll accept "grass isn't greener" opinions for football.  That job is toxic and with no salary to offer candidates and their coaching staff you're not going to get someone of even remote quality to take over for Locksley.  Even with all his warts he's clearly a superior option to the unknown given the limitations of what the job entails.  

Basketball it's basically the opposite conclusion.  The money owed Turgeon, and the money needed to entice a quality candidate to replace him, is an issue but I believe it is now a surmountable one.  Should've just moved on after last season.  But the extension didn't change the math by all that much, just pushed the decision a year further down the road.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#189 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:38 AM

I guess we have to see how the rest of the season goes but it does feel like this is it. That next year we will have a new coach.

#190 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:01 PM

I just don't see this team being all that talented, despite the preseason hype. Ayala and Scott were supposed to be the stars and they've been very meh. Wahab and Reese look promising. Aside from that, Russell looks like a guy who belonged at Rhode Island and not a school the caliber of Maryland. Martinez? Nah. Green? Feel like I haven't seen much of him.

#191 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:06 PM

I just don't see this team being all that talented, despite the preseason hype. Ayala and Scott were supposed to be the stars and they've been very meh. Wahab and Reese look promising. Aside from that, Russell looks like a guy who belonged at Rhode Island and not a school the caliber of Maryland. Martinez? Nah. Green? Feel like I haven't seen much of him.

We heard the word depth a lot all offseason and hes basically using 6 guys. You cant assume depth. Especially when its new entries to the program. Plenty of issues that quite honestly aren't going to be easy to fix. Feels like a sub .500 B10 team but Im not sure how deep the B10 is supposed to be either.

#192 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:23 PM

It's an 8 man rotation. Reese, Martinez, and Green are getting 15-20 minutes a game off the bench.  The only guy in the rotation to log fewer than 10 minutes in any game was Wahab against Hofstra.

They are plenty deep, but they don't have any stars.  Ayala is the closest thing and he's at best a #3 piece on a really good team.  Wahab could be in the right offense, or at least a good #2, but he's got lots of warts that need improving for him to become more than a decent big man.  Reese has tons of potential but isn't a star right away.  Everyone else is kind of just fine.  Scott can dominate with his size against lesser competition but struggles in conference play and other top-50 opponents who can match him physically.  Fatts is fine, a capable starter but not a guy you really worry about.  The bench guys are bench guys.  They belong, but that's it.  I'd put Hart in that group.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=