269 replies to this topic

#261 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:42 PM

Rizzo had a 130 OPS+ as a Cub and now has a 127 OPS+ as a Yankee and the Cubs were trying so hard to find a competent 1B this year they gave Eric Hosmer a deal so extending him couldn't have hurt

They've got Mancini and his cool OPS+ of 85 at 1B while that bum Rizzo in NY is at 134.

#262 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:44 PM

My God we really got someone trying to sell the Bryant FA deal. Ive seen it all.

#263 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:47 PM

Its as if teams know when guys usually hit a cliff. Hence why you let the foolish teams buy them in FA. But sure try to sell the Contreras and Bryant deals somehow.

#264 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:48 PM

Didn't say I'd give him anywhere near what he got from Colorado. Health has failed him big time, but he produced when healthy last year.

#265 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:50 PM

You guys also have comprehension issues. Nothing bad was said or implied about Rizzo. I said you wouldnt want the guys that werent extended for their FA years. A totally expected issue with BaltBird though

#266 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:52 PM

Didn't say I'd give him anywhere near what he got from Colorado. Health has failed him big time, but he produced when healthy last year.

The whole point of the thread and my post today is extensions and the players worth during their FA years. Glad you wouldnt want to pay him what he got. Glad you agree with me. You would be wise to do it more often

#267 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:56 PM

Btw this isnt a black and white bashing of extensions. If you find a good and fair one then by all means. I said no on a Santander extension knowing his worth and assuming he knows his worth. If he wants to give BMore some extremely friendly deal for 2 or 3 more years then by all means you seriously consider that. But we have to assume these guys know their worth and arent going to be giving the Os discounts.

This was more a take on early extensions. The young guys youre giving 8-12 year deals to at 23, 24, 25.

#268 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 01:10 PM

I mean Ive gone through why Adley is a different beast for me. He is the man. I welcome that extension. Hes really the only one for me though. Of the young core. Id welcome an extension on Ced at the right number. Those are the only 2 I entertain right now. Part of it is evaluation and future projection. Maybe the Cubs just didnt like Baez, Schwarber, Contreras, Bryant as extension nominees. If that was true its kinda looking like they were right. Still to be determined on a lot of the young guys who are likely to be core players here. Gunnar, GRod, Cowser, Holliday. Ill be surprised if any of those 4 are traded so Im calling them part of the core. We already know we dont want to extend the closer to arb guys IMO. No to all of Hays, Santander, Mountcastle. Nor am I considering any pitcher we have since there is so much team control left. Gunnar we got a bit of time but for me hes already a no. Hes young which is to his benefit for sure but I just dont see a special talent. I see a guy you dont want to pay at 32 33 34

I don't think anyone is thinking of a 13-year deal for Henderson right now, so not really any need to mention 32, 33, 34.  An extension for him is impractical because of Boras but ignoring that, you would likely at most be locking in his 20s and then maybe a couple of club option years on the back end that take him into his very early 30s if you want.  I don't think it'd take a Franco or Rodriguez type extension.   Or rather, it shouldn't.  It might for Boras reasons, which I'd turn down.

I'd have signed Rutschman before he debuted and I'd have signed Mullins two years ago, so I'd be in phenomenal shape with both of them.  Still would go for a Franco/Rodriguez type deal for Rutschman and a Reynolds like deal for Mullins.  Wouldn't pursue a deal with Hays or Santander or Mountcastle (would've with Mountcastle 2 years ago, so that's one that wouldn't be looking good today, but also would only owe like another $25M so not a devastating outcome and not even doomed to being a negative one at all).

I wouldn't aggressively pursue a deal with Rodriguez or Bautista or any of the guys that haven't yet debuted.  But could be convinced pretty quickly to lock in some of them if they look good in their first year or two.  Holliday before 2025 will be interesting.

#269 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 09:59 AM

Saying all that I still prefer lock up Adley in particular but Im not over the moon on extensions in general. 

Had one more thought to add here.  If I was more trusting in the front office and ownership to pay full freight when needed further down the road, I'd be more inclined to let guys go a bit longer before pursuing an extension.  But I don't really have any expectation of them signing guys as free agents, even re-signing their own or extending a pending FA.  So with that path being very unlikely, I become more interested in earlier extensions in hopes of avoiding losing guys down the road.  Takes on more risk, which of course is base, but it might be the only way to control multiple guys for more than 5ish seasons.

This is kind of a blend of a "how I'd do things" and "how I think they'll do things" approach.

#270 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 11:41 AM

Had one more thought to add here. If I was more trusting in the front office and ownership to pay full freight when needed further down the road, I'd be more inclined to let guys go a bit longer before pursuing an extension. But I don't really have any expectation of them signing guys as free agents, even re-signing their own or extending a pending FA. So with that path being very unlikely, I become more interested in earlier extensions in hopes of avoiding losing guys down the road. Takes on more risk, which of course is base, but it might be the only way to control multiple guys for more than 5ish seasons.

This is kind of a blend of a "how I'd do things" and "how I think they'll do things" approach.

This is a logical approach for guys you think can be All Star players and especially superstar caliber players because yeah we arent handing out a 300 mil contract if it gets to that point where you are 1, 2 or even 3 years from FA. So I could be down for that in a case of Holliday, Gunnar, Rutsch. Maybe even a Cowser depending on how he debuts. I know you said you wouldve tried to lock up Mountcastle at some point. I think guys like him even if he were meeting expectations, Ced, Hays, etc these are guys the Os can reasonable still extend late. Again, IMO Ced is a guy I expect to get signed to an extension just because its in the price range of what the Os can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=