129 replies to this topic

#121 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 10:29 AM

No argument there.  Any last-minute comeback at home against the pre-season #5 team in the CAA has to be considered a great victory.  

• You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this

#122 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 November 2021 - 11:14 AM

No argument there. Any last-minute comeback at home against the pre-season #5 team in the CAA has to be considered a great victory.

Can’t have a bad loss if beating Hofstra is “great”. Turgeon’s thinking ahead lol
@BSLZackKiesel

#123 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 November 2021 - 11:37 AM

This may be selective memory, but feels like Turgeon frequently shifts away from his desired offensive lineup to match up defensively with the opponent's 5 rather than stick with the guys we'd most want on the court and force mismatches for the opponent's defense.

I also don't understand why Wahab and Reese can't play together. It's early, but Reese seems capable of matching up with opponent's 4s.

Agreed, good call. Reese is athletic and has those skills for sure. Thank God his sister is here and he wants to be here, definitely would hate to lose him to the transfer portal with our new coach next year.

#124 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 12:28 PM

Turgeon freaking has tiger blood or some shit. He'll find a way to barely get into the tourny and then make his first E8 run to save his butt.

#125 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 November 2021 - 10:38 PM

Wahab didn't get off the bench in the second half. Guess Hofstra's smaller guard lineup was just too much to handle.

I did not watch the game until this morning and I think Maryland only played 6 in the second half.  We constantly heard preseason, how Maryland could go 10-12 deep.  5 games in and Mark has buried half of them.

No excuse, for not playing Wahab.  Hey Mark, how about making the opposition deal with your mismatches, instead of the other way around?

@mikeghg

#126 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, you'd think Wahab could feast down low with such a small opponent. Instead, we let Hofstra dictate how the game will be played.

#127 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:51 PM

One thing where Ill rarely question a basketball coach in particular is PT. If a guy finds himself parked on the bench I have to trust the coach has a real good reason for it. Sounds like Wahab needs to toughen and smarten up.

#128 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:58 PM

One thing where Ill rarely question a basketball coach in particular is PT. If a guy finds himself parked on the bench I have to trust the coach has a real good reason for it. Sounds like Wahab needs to toughen and smarten up.

Turgeon isn't one for protecting a guy in the press if he thinks he's doing something wrong.  He stated pretty clearly after the Hofstra game that Wahab wasn't benched for poor play.  Turgeon said he told Wahab at halftime, almost apologetically, that he wasn't going to play because they were going small.

#129 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:00 PM

I think if MD had been playing a Big Ten team with size, he wouldn't have found himself chained to the bench. Against a 5 guard lineup, it made sense. 

To your point.... obviously Turgeon doesn't have confidence right now in Graham, Dockery, Cornish, Revaz... 

Graham and Dockery are supposed to be able to shoot. I'd like to see them find some time. But apparently haven't earned it (defense? other?) in practice.

#130 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:01 PM

Turgeon isn't one for protecting a guy in the press if he thinks he's doing something wrong. He stated pretty clearly after the Hofstra game that Wahab wasn't benched for poor play. Turgeon said he told Wahab at halftime, almost apologetically, that he wasn't going to play because they were going small.

Again, to the bigger point Im not one to question PT when it comes to coaching. Didnt see the game or any so far so no personal comment on Wahab. I just remember Turge and others here saying something about Wahab and his poor decisions at times when teams double him. Thats why I made the last comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=