523 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 02:49 PM

Since they are both catchers is there any difference between those two questions?

#62 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:04 AM

and it starts

https://www.tmz.com/...022-aaa-season/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:09 AM

Awesome.  This will be one of the best changes to the game in recent memory.  I'd give it a couple years at AAA, there is gonna be some weird unintended loopholes that pitchers will figure out how to exploit (like a nearly unhittable pitch that happens to cross through a small portion of the zone) so hammer those out at the minor league level.

It'll be an unnoticeable difference for fans.  The ump will still report the result of each pitch just like they do now.  It'll just be a much more accurate and consistent measuring system than their own perceptions deciding if each pitch is a ball or strike. If they didn't announce the change, nobody would know, aside from feeling that the umps had gotten much better over the offseason.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, mweb08 and 1 other like this

#64 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:29 AM

Not a fan.  Listening to Palmer criticize the ump's strike zone makes games enjoyable.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mackus like this

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:37 AM

Palmer's got lots of things he can criticize enjoyably.  And this will free up more airtime for talking about In 'N Out Burger.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#66 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 10:12 AM

It will give us something to discuss. We go from talking about the umps that suck, to the robots that are blind. :)

#67 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 10:22 AM

Depending on the design, it also could give the league some pretty simple and effective control over upping and lowering run-scoring leaguewide.  Want to increase scoring?  Shrink the zone a little bit.  Want to reduce runs, make it a little bigger.

• Old Man likes this

#68 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:51 PM

I’ll be anti robot ump forever.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#69 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:56 PM

not sure, they will be as bad as some of the clowns they have at UMP.

#70 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:00 PM

It will give us something to discuss. We go from talking about the umps that suck, to the robots that are blind. :)

Us soccer fans are always complaining about VAR.

• Old Man likes this

#71 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 06:11 PM

Awesome. This will be one of the best changes to the game in recent memory. I'd give it a couple years at AAA, there is gonna be some weird unintended loopholes that pitchers will figure out how to exploit (like a nearly unhittable pitch that happens to cross through a small portion of the zone) so hammer those out at the minor league level.

It'll be an unnoticeable difference for fans. The ump will still report the result of each pitch just like they do now. It'll just be a much more accurate and consistent measuring system than their own perceptions deciding if each pitch is a ball or strike. If they didn't announce the change, nobody would know, aside from feeling that the umps had gotten much better over the offseason.

Ill be interesting to see how its set up. We have to remember that most hitters get back on the back line of the batters box. So some balls that catch the actual plate are going to look extreme to these players.

And yes they need to work with it in the minors only for a few years to get it un the best place it can be before brining it to the show.

#72 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:34 AM

Right there with you.  Umps make mistakes and we all bitch about the mistakes but it has been part of the game for as long as it has been played.  

I do not want any part of computer generated calls.

@mikeghg

#73 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:03 PM

Robo ump is the best!

Why should everyone in the world have the tech at their fingertips in real time to know if a pitch is a ball or strike except the person who is 2 feet away actually making the call?
  • BobPhelan, Mackus and makoman like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#74 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:35 PM

I don't like the argument that "we've always had bad calls, so we should accept bad calls." No, I want fewer bad calls.

• Mackus and Mike in STL like this

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:44 PM

I also completely disagree with the "obviously bad calls are a feature, not a bug" argument.

• Mike in STL likes this

#76 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 01:49 PM

I also completely disagree with the "obviously bad calls are a feature, not a bug" argument.

I cant comprehend it. Why dont we want to get every single call correct if its possible. And its not even subjective in the way replay can still not be conclusive. Id rather them take away a replay call at bases before automated balls and strikes.

#77 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:11 PM

I cant comprehend it. Why dont we want to get every single call correct if its possible. And its not even subjective in the way replay can still not be conclusive. Id rather them take away a replay call at bases before automated balls and strikes.

Robo umps also in no way slow the game down where as other types of “getting the call right” situations require a stoppage to review the play.
@BSLMikeRandall

#78 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:13 AM

CBS Sports: Batting Around: Where will the Athletics and Rays play in the future?

https://www.cbssport...-in-the-future/

#79 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 January 2022 - 12:19 PM

CBS Sports: Batting Around: Where will the Athletics and Rays play in the future?
https://www.cbssport...-in-the-future/

“Mike Axisa: The A's go to Las Vegas and the Rays move across the bay to Tampa proper, allowing them to draw from Orlando.”

This guy really thinks people are gonna drive 160 miles round trip to see a rays game? Donk.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#80 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 12:23 PM

“Mike Axisa: The A's go to Las Vegas and the Rays move across the bay to Tampa proper, allowing them to draw from Orlando.”

This guy really thinks people are gonna drive 160 miles round trip to see a rays game? Donk.

IDK about the 160 miles part, but from my time going to school in Tampa... I totally believe they have to be in downtown Tampa to be more profitable. Going over the bridge to St. Pete is just a nightmare. 

• CantonJester likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=