33 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:54 PM

Puts a new perspective on the Brown trade too.

#22 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 04:19 PM

Puts a new perspective on the Brown trade too.

I think Oweh will help soften that blow.

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 October 2021 - 04:25 PM

I think Oweh will help soften that blow.

He's done well. You can argue they lose the KC game if they don't make the trade and have Brown instead of Oweh (no one to force the fumble at the end). I think you can make just as good a case that they win in Las Vegas if they're playing Brown instead of Villanueva.

The other thing to remember is that without the trade they also still have their own 2nd Round pick, which might have produced another impact player. Ultimately, it's all what-ifs and speculation, nothing more than message board filler. 

#24 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 05:28 PM

It used to feel as though they could reliably find great offensive lineman in the middle rounds of the draft. Lately, their picks have been mostly underwhelming.

Obviously things can change between now and the draft next year, but I'm hoping they take two offensive linemen and an inside linebacker within their first four picks. I've seen enough of Queen.

I'd love to see them draft another good cornerback as well.

#25 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 19 October 2021 - 05:59 PM

There is literally no other choice here. They pretty much have no choice but to play it out through the next TWO years.

If they cut him after 2021 this season they'd still have to pay him his full 2022 salary. And even if they used a post June 1 designation and could split up the hit, it would be $18.5M in dead money in 2022 and another $22.6M in dead money in 2023.

If he retires the fully guaranteed salary goes away and his 22 number is only 9. Otherwise yes. Thank you ravens salary cap guy.

@fuzydunlop

#26 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:23 PM

What are the odds of retirement? Probably fairly slim. Are we better off with him retiring and finding a replacement or trying to hang on and regain his previous form?

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:38 PM

Hollywood has one more cheap year and then would be on a 5th year option for $13M (would go up to close to $17M if he makes a Pro Bowl) which isn't too crazy for a solid WR.  I don't think they sign him long term.  He's a guy that will get shorted since we decided to take care of Lamar, Stanley, Humphrey and now Andrews.  Totally fine with that approach, especially if Bateman, Proche, and Duvernay continue to look good.

They can likely afford 1 of Brown or Bateman. Obviously Brown gets expensive sooner than Bateman. If Bateman looks the part I expect Brown to go in FA.

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:39 PM

No, you stick by him unless medically it isn't advisable IMO.

You drafted him, you developed him, you paid him. He tried to and did come back from last years injury and surgery, and then when he reinjured it, he tried to rehab it as long as possible to avoid another surgery.

So long as Stanley has a good eventual medical prognosis, and still wants to play, you stick with him.

I'm not a doctor, but assuming it can get fixed properly, I don't see any reason why he still couldn't be a really good LT.
  • Mike B and Mike in STL like this

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:41 PM

What are the odds of retirement? Probably fairly slim. Are we better off with him retiring and finding a replacement or trying to hang on and regain his previous form?

Hopefully its not so serious that its career threatening.  Obviously a 2nd surgery isnt good but Im not sure we are in a spot to think he wont be able to return or be a shell of his former self. 

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:44 PM

You drafted him, you developed him, you paid him. He tried to and did come back from last years injury and surgery, and then when he reinjured it, he tried to rehab it as long as possible to avoid another surgery.

So long as Stanley has a good eventual medical prognosis, and still wants to play, you stick with him.

I'm not a doctor, but assuming it can get fixed properly, I don't see any reason why he still couldn't be a really good LT.

Yeah, at this point Im still  looking forward to him being a good LT. Obviously, that could change if we get more in depth news on the injury or any issues with the surgery and recovery.

• jamesdean likes this

#31 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:15 PM

You are assuming it was reinjured. We don’t know. It might not have been right and he didn’t know until he got into real game action.

I’m not saying it’s likely, but it’s possible he’s never quite right again and he walks away. Lots of rumors that he isn’t as passionate about football as some. Which I think rules but might factor in.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:36 PM

Can't imagine him retiring without getting the guaranteed salary he's owed. No ethical dilemma as he got hurt playing football and he and the team agreed the money would be guaranteed even if he got hurt.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:42 PM

You are assuming it was reinjured. We don’t know. It might not have been right and he didn’t know until he got into real game action.

I’m not saying it’s likely, but it’s possible he’s never quite right again and he walks away. Lots of rumors that he isn’t as passionate about football as some. Which I think rules but might factor in.

Thanks for the info. Damn.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:49 PM

It sounds like Stanley has already had the surgery.

https://www.baltimor...It-just-didnt-w

• sandiegosean likes this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=