#41 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:40 PM

JMO, but every week, i read the bashing of the backs, but we lost our
entire running back room in a week. This is what we have. Get used to see a committee. So far it is working

"working"
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#42 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:45 PM

Hard to show burst when you're going down on first contact like most games. The Chargers run defense is really bad. He is one of the only options, so I'm not saying anything other than pump the brakes. It's just kinda funny to see any kind of expectations starting to form for him, when like 10 days ago everyone was making jokes about trading him (in the team's asking about Ravens RB's thread).

Not sure if someone else said something. But all I said was that I was curious to see what he could do with more touches. In the same post I said I thought Williams was the better pure runner. So I'm not really sure I'm expecting all that much. Just curious as to what he does with more touches.

#43 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:55 PM

"working"

We are 5-1.  

@mikeghg

#44 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:45 PM

Not sure if someone else said something. But all I said was that I was curious to see what he could do with more touches. In the same post I said I thought Williams was the better pure runner. So I'm not really sure I'm expecting all that much. Just curious as to what he does with more touches.

And more familiarity with the system and maybe more importantly, more chances to practice the mesh touches with Lamar. I can imagine it's hard to not clamp down on the ball as soon as it's stuck in your gut until you've practiced it numerous times. I'm not overly optimistic, (don't expect any of their "old" legs to suddenly freshen) but the jury is still out on these guys.

#45 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:50 PM

We are 5-1.

You think we're 5-1 because of our RB committee?

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:14 PM

Not you, I should have made that clear. I've seen it a few other places around here though, and on The Fan - which I honestly forget exists most of the year, until the Ravens get on a run like this, and its' fun to tune in. But those callers make me feel sane, which is saying something.

Regardless, I mainly just don't want people getting their hopes up over anyone in the RB room. All we can hope for is occasional good games from them, and hopefully they take turns doing it. I guess also for me, that it was the LAC just makes me really take pause for now.

#47 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:17 PM

You think we're 5-1 because of our RB committee?

I think we are getting by and figuring things out.  I also think each guy has something they can do to help.  JK and Gus are not coming out of the tunnel this year so I think we need to squeeze every bit  of production we can out of them.

And to answer the question, they are part of 5-1.

@mikeghg

#48 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:19 PM

We are 5-1.  

The Ravens are 5-1 because.......A) First and foremost Lamar Jackson, B) A blind timekeeper in Detroit, C) A terrible performance from the Indy kicker.    I mean let's be real here.  Lamar Jackson has been every bit of the word spectacular this season.  He absolutely should be in the MVP discussion because of all the guys in that discussion he may actually be leading the most mediocre overall team.

If the ref on the field calls delay of game, Justin Tucker never gets a chance to kick that FG and most likely the Ravens lose to the only team without a win unless an unlikely hail mary pass is completed.  If the Colts FG kicker could even make the XP, the Ravens don't take that game to OT.  And without the Oweh punch out, the Ravens could have lost the KC game.  

5-1 is 5-1.  But  it's not like all 5 wins were decisive wins.  5-1 could easily be 3-3 or even 2-4.  Last week was the most complete game I have seen the Ravens play all season.  They looked like a dominant team.  But still, the RBs are not that good.  And that is to be expected.  The three guys they got to replace Dobbins and Edwards were all not on a roster for a reason.  Thanks to a couple of breakaways, Freeman is averaging 5.9 ypc.  Murray is 3.6, and Bell is a sickly 2.4.   The Ravens are still a pretty good rushing team only because of Lamar Jackson who beats everyone who has more than one carry with a 6.1 average ypc.  The running game other than Lamar Jackson pretty much sucks and I would expect it will continue that way.  Not the Ravens fault.  When you lose your top two backs before game 1, there just isn't much you can do.  

#49 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:35 PM

I hated Bell and the team his team for years but he was not over rated IMO.  He was a very good runner reading the holes, and one of the best receivers out of the backfield, I have ever seen.  Who cares if the system suited him, he took advantage.

I suspect your point of him being done may be correct, but he has 12 touches, so we still need to see more.

I get what you are saying.  I never hated Bell, and I honestly thought he was one of the best backs in football.  Then I started reading about what Munchak actually did that made him better.  Yes, I will agree that he was one of the best receivers out of the backfield.  I think Pittsburgh would even use him in the slot at times because he was that good as a receiver.  

And I do agree that he should not be faulted for running in a system they designed for him.  In fact, that should actually be a credit to Pittsburgh for converting to a system to take advantage of his talents.  Similar to the way Greg Roman has tailored the Raven's offense to take advantage of Lamar Jackson's talents.  I just feel like he could only be successful in Pittsburgh's system.  He sucked in NY, but OK, everyone sucks in that organization.  But how can you not be successful as an offensive player in Andy Reid's system with Patrick Mahomes as your QB?

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:36 AM

The Ravens are 5-1 because.......A) First and foremost Lamar Jackson, B) A blind timekeeper in Detroit, C) A terrible performance from the Indy kicker.    I mean let's be real here.  Lamar Jackson has been every bit of the word spectacular this season.  He absolutely should be in the MVP discussion because of all the guys in that discussion he may actually be leading the most mediocre overall team.

If the ref on the field calls delay of game, Justin Tucker never gets a chance to kick that FG and most likely the Ravens lose to the only team without a win unless an unlikely hail mary pass is completed.  If the Colts FG kicker could even make the XP, the Ravens don't take that game to OT.  And without the Oweh punch out, the Ravens could have lost the KC game.  

5-1 is 5-1.  But  it's not like all 5 wins were decisive wins.  5-1 could easily be 3-3 or even 2-4.

Could also easily be 6-0.  The one loss is in overtime. So yes, while they could have easily lost any of the KC, Indy, or Detroit games they also could have easily won the Raiders game.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:09 AM

Bengals SB Nation: 5 Bengals to watch for vs. Ravens in NFL Week 7

https://www.cincyjun...row-mike-hilton

Bengals SB Nation: Bengals at Ravens odds, betting trends, expert picks and predictions

https://www.cincyjun...ting-nfl-week-7

#52 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:42 AM

Could also easily be 6-0.  The one loss is in overtime. So yes, while they could have easily lost any of the KC, Indy, or Detroit games they also could have easily won the Raiders game.

Exactly. A few plays different in the 2nd quarter and they probably blow out the Lions going away. A couple better Lamar throws and maybe they beat KC by 10. Indy is tougher, but maybe if Lamar scores instead of fumbling at the 1 the momentum shifts a quarter earlier and they don't need the furious comeback, or maybe don't allow a 70 yard screen when a team is just trying to punt. The what if game goes both ways.

I think over half of NFL games are one score games, decided by 8 points or less. You can play the what if game about a few plays here and there several times with every team every season. It seems like good teams with good players and coaches are always lucky...I don't know how many times over the years I watched a Steelers or Patriots game and thought "man, they really could have lost, unlucky for us." But by time the playoffs come around no one cares who was lucky in September.

• JStruds likes this

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:39 AM

I'm nervous. Go Ravens.

#54 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:12 AM

I'm nervous. Go Ravens.

Me too, more than usual for a Bengals game. Not sure if they’re for real or not.

Inactives: Watkins, Murray, Ferguson, both Washingtons

#55 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:19 AM

Anybody close enough to the stadium that could use four free seats today, let me know now and I'll transfer. Section 537.

#56 MirzetSalihovic

MirzetSalihovic

All-Star

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:34 AM

Ravens blitzing at the third highest rate in the league. Burrow has the number 1 grade in the NFL against the blitz per PFF

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:59 AM

Ravens blitzing at the third highest rate in the league. Burrow has the number 1 grade in the NFL against the blitz per PFF

Not too worried about that.  Not all blitzes are equal.  Ravens completely flustered Burrow last year.  He didn't force turnovers but he took a ton of sacks as blitzes came from every angle (5 different DBs had a sack).  Certainly he's better now but he's still inexperienced.  I don't think they'll consider a Week 2-like approach where they sit back and only rush 4 most of the time.  That would be a mistake, IMO.

#58 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:05 PM

Last year was last year.  I expect a close game. 

#59 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:07 PM

Oweh can't miss that sack.

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:07 PM

That 3rd down conversion was impressive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=