#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:05 PM

Maryland kicks off the second half of their regular season schedule in Minneapolis on Saturday afternoon. The Golden Gophers currently hold a record of 4-2 (2-1) and have won their last two straight games against Nebraska and Purdue. Their losses came to Bowling Green and Ohio State, and they have additional victories against Colorado and Miami (OH).

Minnesota is currently favored by 5 points in this game.

Minnesota Rush Offense: 190.7 ypg (#41 in country)

Minnesota Pass Offense: 153.8 ypg (#121 in country)

Minnesota Rush Defense: 86.8 yapg (#6 in country)

Minnesota Pass Defense: 232.5 yapg (#77 in country)

Maryland Rush Offense: 136.2 ypg (#87 in country)

Maryland Pass Offense: 311.0 ypg (#16 in country)

Maryland Rush Defense: 126.3 yapg (#40 in country)

Maryland Pass Defense: 260.8 yapg (#104 in country)

BSL Game Preview: https://baltimorespo...nd-minnesota-2/

​Talking Terps Game Preview: Coming October 22nd.

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:47 AM

This week's depth chart changes:

• Jeshaun Jones has been removed. Brian Cobbs is now the starting Z receiver, with Dino Tomlin as his backup.
  • Durell Nchami has been removed. Lawtez Rogers is now the lone starter at JACK linebacker, with Demeioun Robinson as his backup.
  • With Robinson moving to JACK linebacker, Frankie Burgess is now Deshawn Holt's backup at SAM linebacker.
  • Ahmad McCullough has moved from backup MIKE linebacker to starting WILL linebacker, with Gereme Spraggins as his backup.
  • Kobi Thomas has moved from backup WILL linebacker to Ruben Hyppolite II's backup at MIKE linebacker.
  • Glendon Miller has been removed. Dante Trader is now Nick Cross' backup at strong safety.
  • Rakim Jarrett is now the lone starting kickoff returner, with Marcus Fleming as his backup.
  • DeaJuan McDougle is now the co-backup punt returner with Rakim Jarrett, both behind Tarheeb Still.

Nchami's absence is the biggest surprise here, and we should know more about his situation (and Jones') when Locksley addresses the media. Also worth noting that Branden Jennings is still not listed on the depth chart.

@BSLZackKiesel

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:04 PM

Locksley announces that WR Jeshaun Jones and LB Durell Nchami will both miss the remainder of this season due to injuries. Jones is currently the team's third-leading receiver, and Nchami is second on the team in tackles for loss and sacks. Both are big losses moving forward.

@BSLZackKiesel

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:29 PM

Is Dino Tomnlin Mike Tomlin's son?

#5 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:32 PM

Yes.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:33 PM

Well that's cool. I looked it up, I guess he got in on ST last year, but I didn't notice. Hopefully he does well.

Man, this team is constantly decimated by injury to the nth degree.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

Well that's cool. I looked it up, I guess he got in on ST last year, but I didn't notice. Hopefully he does well.

Man, this team is constantly decimated by injury to the nth degree.

The injuries just never seem to stop for Maryland.

Whenever I watch a Terps game, I always feel like Maryland is at a disadvantage strength wise.  I wonder if that plays a part in the constant injuries.

@mikeghg

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:23 PM

I hope he gets on the field and makes plays, but it will be tough to root for a Tomin. :-P .  After cheering a Leveon Bell TD though, I should be able to handle rooting for Dino.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

Locksley announces that WR Jeshaun Jones and LB Durell Nchami will both miss the remainder of this season due to injuries. Jones is currently the team's third-leading receiver, and Nchami is second on the team in tackles for loss and sacks. Both are big losses moving forward.

Two more disappointing losses there.  Was really hoping to have the Top 3 wideouts all year, and Nchami has shown out a number of times this season.

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:23 PM

Locksley says that he expects LB Branden Jennings to return for this game, and is hopeful that DBs Jakorian Bennett and Kenny Bennett will be playing as well.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:55 PM

The injuries just never seem to stop for Maryland.

Whenever I watch a Terps game, I always feel like Maryland is at a disadvantage strength wise. I wonder if that plays a part in the constant injuries.

Every football team in America from the NFL to junior football has to deal with big injuries. Its the nature of the game. We cant allow this to continually be used as an excuse for this coach and this program.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:12 AM

Every football team in America from the NFL to junior football has to deal with big injuries. Its the nature of the game. This cant allow this to continually be used as an excuse for this coach and this program.

All true, and I'm not saying this to make an excuse for Terps football--you know how I feel about Terps football--but the Terps have the market cornered on mass injuries. There's "every team deals with injuries" then there's Maryland. It really is mind blowing how many key guys they lose every damn season.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:15 AM

Every football team in America from the NFL to junior football has to deal with big injuries. Its the nature of the game. This cant allow this to continually be used as an excuse for this coach and this program.

Well, that's where stacking classes come into play.  And they've started to do that, and despite the injuries suffered so far.... I think it's reasonable to still ask for 6 wins.   

This Minnesota game is huge... it's a coinflip game, with Minnesota getting a slight edge at home... but MD had the bye week for extra prep. 

MD has to show up for this game, and really its a swing result either way.

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:13 AM

Most football teams in the country haven’t lost their entire quarterback rooms to injuries multiple times in the last decade. Maryland has been hit unreasonably hard with crucial injuries in the past.

That being said, the injuries this season haven’t been crippling like they have been in years past. They didn’t lose their last two games because of injuries, they simply didn’t play well enough. And if they lose to Minnesota, we also likely won’t be able to trace it back solely to injuries.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:28 AM

It probably seems like MD has more injuries because that’s who we follow closest, so we hear about every one of them. If you look at the data throughout all FBS, I would think they are in line with everyone else in overall numbers. They have seemed to be more affected by it at the QB position though, particularly in 2012 and 2017.

And Chris nailed it….if you want to succeed in the face of injuries, like all the good teams do, you build depth. It doesn’t mean you won’t have some drop off, but you have to trust that your third-string guys are going to get the job done if you have to put them out there.

#16 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:40 AM

Yeah recruiting is valuable in situations like this because they still have a currently healthy 5-star recruit sophomore who will hopefully step up at WR

she/her

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:18 AM

I do think Mike B makes a good point, about how playing against clearly superior competition all the time could be leading to more injuries. It's like a 1A high school team going up against Good Counsel once Big Ten play starts.

I think the injuries always seem worse, too, because it always hits a specific position group rather than spreading out the love. The QB thing that one year was insane. Just like the WR room this year. So annoying. 

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:15 AM

BSL: 5 Thoughts Before Maryland/Minnesota

https://baltimorespo...nd-minnesota-2/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:56 AM

Balt Sun: Where Maryland football stands after a much-needed bye week — and why the next two games are so important

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:20 AM

Every football team in America from the NFL to junior football has to deal with big injuries. Its the nature of the game. We cant allow this to continually be used as an excuse for this coach and this program.

It goes beyond Locksley.  It is every year with Maryland.  My point was not to make excuses for them, but to wonder if playing more physically imposing teams, just makes it happen year after year.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=