#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:53 PM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...a-power-outage/

Five thoughts (plus a bonus thought) on the dominating 34-6 win that no one saw coming. 

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and BSLJamieSieck like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:25 PM

Good stuff, Mike. Truth be told, it was kinda boring today. In a good way, of course. We needed a game like this for the fanbase's collective blood pressure.

Outstanding work by the defense today. Had Lamar not had that brain fart interception, we may have pitched a shutout.
  • Mike in STL likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:56 PM

I feel good about this total team victory, everybody doing his job, and didn't have to rely on Lamar being Superman. If there was anyone out there being Superman today it was DeShon Elliott. That guy was everywhere, dominating.

• Mike in STL likes this

#4 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:34 PM

For the people blasting Wink last week, you better be giving credit this week. Defense stepped up and completely shut down a great offense.

I thought Keenan Allen was going to be open all day. Credit to the secondary for taking their black eye last week, and stepping up big this week. Front 7 dominated the LOS against a pretty good O-line. This is the first game all season Oweh was a non-factor. He was around the ball but I'm not sure he made the stat sheet at all today.

In the end, Herbert is a legit, superstar QB. Allen and Williams are a great WR duo. And Eckler is a great dual threat RB. All behind a good O-line. And Wink and Co. stepped up and dominated one of the better offenses in the NFL.

Offense was up and down. Overall pretty good. Freeman looked like the best RB today. Ran hard, and looked like be still had some wiggle left. Andrews and Brown looked good. Andrews is really starting to prove he's one of the best TE's on the game. And Bateman looked good other than the drop. He's looks to have some great short area quickness. I think his future is bright. Get him up and running with Andrews and Brown, and this offense can turn into something special.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:38 PM

Still don't think this team will ever make a deep playoff run with Wink running the defense. I could give a damn less about a game in October in the grand scheme of things. His defenses under achieve, particularly when it counts the most.

Every now and then, Wink draws up a game plan that makes a young QB look young. Doesn't erase the overall body of work, and I feel he's consistently not done enough with the talent he's got on that side of the ball. And I put the lack of development of some of the guys on defense on him as well.

#6 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:59 PM

Still don't think this team will ever make a deep playoff run with Wink running the defense. I could give a damn less about a game in October in the grand scheme of things. His defenses under achieve, particularly when it counts the most.

Every now and then, Wink draws up a game plan that makes a young QB look young. Doesn't erase the overall body of work, and I feel he's consistently not done enough with the talent he's got on that side of the ball. And I put the lack of development of some of the guys on defense on him as well.

what overall body of work? His 2019 defense that was 4th ranked in total yards, 7th in TO's. 3rd in points against. And had like the 7th best defensive DVOA ever. Or his 2020 defense that was 7th in total yards. 11th in TO's. 2nd in points against. And I believe finished 9th in defensive DVOA.

Seems like you want to hate Wink just to hate Wink. Blame him for some guys not developing, but I guess he doesn't get credit for the ones that have developed ? So Queen sucks. Maybe we can blame Wink for that. But what about Clark, Elliott, Humphrey, Bowser, and Madubuike?

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:06 PM

what overall body of work? His 2019 defense that was 4th ranked in total yards, 7th in TO's. 3rd in points against. And had like the 7th best defensive DVOA ever. Or his 2020 defense that was 7th in total yards. 11th in TO's. 2nd in points against. And I believe finished 9th in defensive DVOA.

Seems like you want to hate Wink just to hate Wink. Blame him for some guys not developing, but I guess he doesn't get credit for the ones that have developed ? So Queen sucks. Maybe we can blame Wink for that. But what about Clark, Elliott, Humphrey, Bowser, and Madubuike?

We can talk about the secondary if you want. That talented secondary, which routinely gets carved up, but didn't today. It's a talented defense that he could get more out of IMO. 

This team had a great day today. Last week, they gave up 400 yards to Carson freakin' Wentz. Houston held him to 230 today. 

But today means I'm not allowed to be critical of Wink. Noted.

#8 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:29 PM

We can talk about the secondary if you want. That talented secondary, which routinely gets carved up, but didn't today. It's a talented defense that he could get more out of IMO.

This team had a great day today. Last week, they gave up 400 yards to Carson freakin' Wentz. Houston held him to 230 today.

But today means I'm not allowed to be critical of Wink. Noted.

I guess what is annoying is that you're critical of him when he absolutely deserves it. But you refuse to give any credit at all when he deserves it. You sound like the people who hate Lamar for no reason. Just lurk until the moments he isn't good and come out pumping your chest about how bad he is, then disappear or just fall back on pointing out when he wasn't good, instead of giving him any credit.

I'm not sure how having the 9th best defense in DVOA last season, and having the 7th best DVOA ever the year before is somehow considered bad.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:33 PM

I guess what is annoying is that you're critical of him when he absolutely deserves it. But you refuse to give any credit at all when he deserves it. You sound like the people who hate Lamar for no reason. Just lurk until the moments he isn't good and come out pumping your chest about how bad he is, then disappear or just fall back on pointing out when he wasn't good, instead of giving him any credit.

I'm not sure how having the 9th best defense in DVOA last season, and having the 7th best DVOA ever the year before is somehow considered bad.

Just not a fan. And I definitely give him credit for today. You're the one calling me out bro. I'd rather not defend my stance from last week after a nice win, but here we are.

#10 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:40 PM

Just not a fan. And I definitely give him credit for today. You're the one calling me out bro. I'd rather not defend my stance from last week after a nice win, but here we are.

It's not just last week. You pop you're head in every time the defense underperforms. And even said yourself that this team will never win important games with him as a DC. That's just a bad take. You can't blast Lamar haters who do the same exact thing to him all the time, despite his actual body of work and ability. Then do the same thing they do to Wink.

You don't like the guy. That's fine. I took heat all the time because I didn't like Judon. But I always acknowledged his ability as a great pass rusher. I never took credit from him for being a good player (albeit overrated in my eyes as a complete player.) So I get it. You don't have to like him. But you also can't ignore what he's done here, and make flat out wrong statements about his defenses not being good.

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:41 PM

It's not just last week. You pop you're head in every time the defense underperforms. And even said yourself that this team will never win important games with him as a DC. That's just a bad take. You can't blast Lamar haters who do the same exact thing to him all the time, despite his actual body of work and ability. Then do the same thing they do to Wink.

You don't like the guy. That's fine. I took heat all the time because I didn't like Judon. But I always acknowledged his ability as a great pass rusher. I never took credit from him for being a good player (albeit overrated in my eyes as a complete player.) So I get it. You don't have to like him. But you also can't ignore what he's done here, and make flat out wrong statements about his defenses not being good.

Not true at all. Don't paint me that way. This is a very recent thing with Wink and I, so get over yourself bud.

#12 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:04 PM

Not true at all. Don't paint me that way. This is a very recent thing with Wink and I, so get over yourself bud.

Get over myself? What does that even mean? lol Only one of us is arrogantly blasting a terrible opinion as fact, despite every analytical and statistical fact pointing to the opposite.

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:12 PM

Get over myself? What does that even mean? lol Only one of us is arrogantly blasting a terrible opinion as fact, despite every analytical and statistical fact pointing to the opposite.

Every analytical point? You look at DVOA and can't have a nuanced discussion about how bad the secondary tends to perform despite the talent and investment. How they can't close. How poor they perform against solid offenses. Or how a DC who was the LB'ers coach before being promoted can't develop his LB'ers. Today was the outlier. It's a different opinion, it doesn't make it a terrible one. Where were your balls last week when I was calling him out?

#14 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 06:47 AM

Every analytical point? You look at DVOA and can't have a nuanced discussion about how bad the secondary tends to perform despite the talent and investment. How they can't close. How poor they perform against solid offenses. Or how a DC who was the LB'ers coach before being promoted can't develop his LB'ers. Today was the outlier. It's a different opinion, it doesn't make it a terrible one. Where were your balls last week when I was calling him out?

I can have educated discussion, sure. Using broad general statements without examples other than the Indy game isn't discussion. Its poor justification for what you're trying to portray. The secondary has had bad games at times, but if you don't expect that in today's NFL against offenses like KC's or Buffalo's, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe pay attention across the league, because in today's NFL, it doesn't matter how much talent you have, top offenses can, and will beat you. Can you name a secondary and defense that doesn't have bad games in modern day NFL rules?

You say he can't develop LB's. But he's had his hand in Judon and Bowser, Oweh seems to be thriving with Wink. McPhee has played well under Wink. Really, it's just Queen. That's your whole argument behind this. Maybe that's Wink's fault. Maybe Queen just doesn't have the talent to succeed. It happens. He's taken Clark, Elliott, Madubuike and Humphrey and developed them within his scheme. But like I said, I guess they don't count. Queen trumps all of them.

I'm fine with constructive criticism. I'm fine with, "I just don't like him". I'm fine with legitimate points based around hard facts or stats. This year the defense has been very mediocre. He's also had to start Averett and Stephens for most of the season. Not sure I'd call that top secondary talent. But if you want to say he's been mediocre at best this season, I have no argument. Defense has been a disappointment.

But when looking at his whole body of work, he's been a top DC, whether you like him or not.

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:09 AM

I couldn't give a damn less what you're fine with. Lol, you need to re-evaluate what "get over yourself" means. I'm perfectly fine with where I'm at here. Again, you were silent last week. Tells me everything I need to know about you.

#16 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:36 AM

It's very encouraging to see the running game perform the way it did, especially without Lamar carrying the load. Granted, the Chargers run defense must really be as bad as the stats suggest, but it's important the Ravens were able to take advantage against a team playing two high safeties all game and defending against the big pass play. I'd say that's a mark of a great team, able to win in different ways based on what the defense is trying to take away.

Good to have Elliott back, and I hope we see more of Bynes moving forward. Let Patrick Queen play fast with a vet presence beside him making calls and adjustments. Queen and Harrison can rotate in the other spot. It'd be nice if this was a turning point for the defense, and they've found the right personnel combo.

Overall just a great performance. But just like the win against Indy last week, I'm gonna enjoy this one and move on. A west coast team playing a 1pm game on the east coast a week after pulling out a hard fought win over a tough Browns team may have had something to do with the Chargers performance. I believe I heard they flew in the night before the game too.

Anyway, nice dominating performance, but I'm sticking with "expect the unexpected" as my motto this season.

• BSLJamieSieck likes this

#17 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:58 AM

I couldn't give a damn less what you're fine with. Lol, you need to re-evaluate what "get over yourself" means. I'm perfectly fine with where I'm at here. Again, you were silent last week. Tells me everything I need to know about you.

I wasn't silent. I asked what you wanted Wink to do in the comments, and it got buried because Lamar went full Superman mode. The fact that you make conclusions about people on a message board over one disagreement tells me what kind of idiot you are. I imagine you're the kind that acts completely different behind a keyboard than you ever would in person. One of us has gotten butthurt for getting called out here. I have yet to get an educated response from you on this. Just condescending idiocy. It's my fault for expecting educated discussion from the uneducated. I'm done with the conversation since it's very clear you'd rather make personal attacks and regurgitate terrible takes vs having an actual educated conversation about football.

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:37 AM

Apologies for the hijacking, Mike. Biggsy, best we just don't engage one another, thanks.

Great point in the article about potential tie breakers down the road. Wins against KC and now LAC. Good stuff.

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:49 AM

Apologies for the hijacking, Mike. Biggsy, best we just don't engage one another, thanks.

Great point in the article about potential tie breakers down the road. Wins against KC and now LAC. Good stuff.

Doesn’t bother me any. Everyone’s entitled to their opinions.

Definitely be rooting for TEN tonight.
  • JordanKough likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:42 PM

That's fine. I have no problem with you whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=