BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:28 PM

The Chargers are 4-1. 

Wins: @Washington, @KC, Raiders, Browns
Loss: Dallas

ESPN's Matchup Predictor gives the Ravens a 58.7% chance at winning. 

The Chargers are 11th overall by DVOA. 

7th offense, 18th defense, 29th special teams. 

The Ravens are 8th overall by DVOA. 

9th offense, 22nd defense, 2nd special teams. 

#2 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:57 PM

Didn't realize STs DVOA carried so much weight. Based just on the numbers you posted, it looks like we need Duvernay and Tucker to have big days.

Of course, DD can only have a big day if the defense improves enough to force 4-5 punts.

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:37 AM

I just think the Chargers are a bad matchup for the Ravens. We'll see. Hope I'm wrong.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:59 PM

So Wink was quoted this week, speaking of Herbert, as saying: "He's one of those guys that could throw a strawberry through a battleship."

Apparently it's gone viral. It is pretty funny.

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:22 PM

So Wink was quoted this week, speaking of Herbert, as saying: "He's one of those guys that could throw a strawberry through a battleship."

Heard Harbaugh say something yesterday along the lines of, Herbert has the second highest throwing velocity of all QBs, excited to see him in person for the first time…reporter asked “do you who had the highest velocity? Harbaugh said, “no, but I bet you could figure that out.”
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,458 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:53 PM

32nd in rushing defense. I know our RBs don't inspire much fear, but we need to test those waters regardless.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:58 PM

32nd in rushing defense. I know our RBs don't inspire much fear, but we need to test those waters regardless.

We had the same backs when we had 400+ yards combined weeks 1 and 2. I think half our problem has been the backs and half has been teams selling out against the run. Baker got over 300 and they also ran for over 200. I’d be good with that.

#8 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:44 PM

OMG! He said this about Flacco 11 years ago. Checks out cause they played Denver, who he was coaching, that week.

https://mobile.twitt...tus/26677024709

Hat tip to Shaffer for the find.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#9 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:36 PM

The Ravens won't be able to stop them.  I think they need to use the KC playbook and try to control TOP,  keeping Herbert off the field.  The Ravens need to keep their own defense fresh for the fourth quarter.  If they can match TD for TD,  hopefully the LA kicker, who has already missed four extra points, will come into play. 

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#10 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:14 AM

We had the same backs when we had 400+ yards combined weeks 1 and 2. I think half our problem has been the backs and half has been teams selling out against the run. Baker got over 300 and they also ran for over 200. I’d be good with that.

Ravens have to try to run for sure. You can't just give up on the run game. I wouldn't mind seeing Freeman and Williams get more touches over Murray. Murray serves a role. He is the best power back on the team. He probably has a TD last week if Lamar lets him take it on the read option he fumbled. But Freeman and Williams have shown to have more juice in their legs. Freeman looked decent out of the backfield as a receiver. And Williams is the only guy that can get the edge on some of these read options. Murray just isn't the guy to do anything but run hard in a straight line.

And teams have already figured out that they don't have to respect our RBs on read options. They're just keying on Lamar every time, because he is the only big play threat as a runner. So his running production is almost exclusively on scrambles.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,423 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:30 AM

I think we're making a little too much of the Chargers offense based on their most recent huge game and the Ravens defense giving up tons of yards last week (but not a ton of points).   24 ppg for the Chargers before last week's shootout.

Certainly they could hang a big number on the Ravens, but I don't think it's a given and I don't think we need to adjust our offensive approach before the game even starts to try to keep up.

#12 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:45 AM

I think we're making a little too much of the Chargers offense based on their most recent huge game and the Ravens defense giving up tons of yards last week (but not a ton of points). 24 ppg for the Chargers before last week's shootout.

Certainly they could hang a big number on the Ravens, but I don't think it's a given and I don't think we need to adjust our offensive approach before the game even starts to try to keep up.

Yeah, people seem to be ignoring that it’s the Ravens that lead the league in yards, 6th in passing 4th in rushing. They’ve scored 6 more points than us. Their defense is just as mediocre as ours, and I’ll take our STs over anybody’s.

Herbert is good for sure and might carve up the D, but there’s a lot of unnecessary pessimism IMO.

#13 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:48 AM

Every game takes on a life of its own as soon as the opening kickoff goes up in the air.  Who thought the Ravens would struggle to score much in Detroit after the KC performance?  Not many.  It's match-ups, and turnovers, and coaching decisions at critical moments.  

#14 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:32 AM

Ravens have to try to run for sure. You can't just give up on the run game. I wouldn't mind seeing Freeman and Williams get more touches over Murray. Murray serves a role. He is the best power back on the team. He probably has a TD last week if Lamar lets him take it on the read option he fumbled. But Freeman and Williams have shown to have more juice in their legs. Freeman looked decent out of the backfield as a receiver. And Williams is the only guy that can get the edge on some of these read options. Murray just isn't the guy to do anything but run hard in a straight line.

And teams have already figured out that they don't have to respect our RBs on read options. They're just keying on Lamar every time, because he is the only big play threat as a runner. So his running production is almost exclusively on scrambles.

I agree with this whole post, which, of course means Bell will play this week instead of ( insert best guess here). 😄

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,304 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:47 AM

Teams have to stop giving us big chunk plays through the air. Give us 4 ypc on 1st and 2nd down then sell out to stop run on 3rd and short because Roman only ever runs the ball in that situation. Seriously though, our 3rd down % is poor. Get us in 3rd down situations. Take an extra man out of the box.

#16 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:53 AM

Teams have to stop giving us big chunk plays through the air. Give us 4 ypc on 1st and 2nd down then sell out to stop run on 3rd and short because Roman only ever runs the ball in that situation. Seriously though, our 3rd down % is poor. Get us in 3rd down situations. Take an extra man out of the box.

That is honestly the strategy I would use. Don't let Lamar have easy throwing lanes. Load up coverages, and make the Ravens beat me on the ground. As weird as that sounds, with their stable of misfits in the backfield, I feel more comfortable with more guys in the passing lanes than I do the run gaps.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,304 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:06 PM

They also should be blitzing Lamar more IMO.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,423 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:56 PM

Give us 4 ypc on 1st and 2nd down then sell out to stop run on 3rd and short because Roman only ever runs the ball in that situation. Seriously though, our 3rd down % is poor.

Good call.

16 3rd and 3 or less plays this year.  13 runs to 3 passes.  Only 7 1st down conversions (I can't find the breakdown of converted run/pass without paying for a premium pro-sports-reference account).

#19 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:17 PM

They also should be blitzing Lamar more IMO.

Not sure I agree with that. I get the idea behind it. But if you miss and leave a lane, Lamar kills you. That's a pretty high risk, high reward move.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,304 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:41 PM

Sure but I think you need to speed up his internal clock. That and make him make some hot reads and calls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=