• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this
@MikeFastNFL

#2 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:07 PM

This is a game that we probably all chalked up as a W when the schedule came out, now not so much. The Chargers are a dangerous team for sure, but Mike I like how you pointed out the two weaknesses that the Ravens can exploit, their run defense and special teams coverage. Should be a good opportunity to get the running game back on track.

• Mike in STL and jamesdean like this
Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:11 AM

Good points Mike.

I think it’ll be close as well. Meaning it could come down to who doesn’t make a crucial mistake. LAC is third in the league in dropped passes at 13, more than 2 a game. Perhaps that trend continues and it’s a would be TD pass, or crucial 3rd or 4th down to extend a drive that leaves points off the board for them and swings the outcome.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,976 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:34 AM

I think they might run out of luck on this one. Their play outside of LJ has really been pretty poor. Can't keep up like that, especially against a team that is as rock solid as the Chargers are.

#5 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:53 AM

BSL: Next Game Up: Chargers Come to Town

https://baltimorespo...s-come-to-town/

I appreciate a positive outlook as much as the next guy, and I was not aware of the Chargers weak run defense and special teams. But you didn't even mention Justin Herbert, and I could see him carving up the Ravens' defense like a turkey with Mike Williams and company. Baltimore does have Lamar Jackson, and that could be enough, especially if they can continue to find Proche and Duvernay in the offense and get enough solid play from the OL to be able to consistently run the ball. The Browns put up 42 points last week and lost, so I would expect a shootout. 

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:39 PM

I appreciate a positive outlook as much as the next guy, and I was not aware of the Chargers weak run defense and special teams. But you didn't even mention Justin Herbert, and I could see him carving up the Ravens' defense like a turkey with Mike Williams and company. Baltimore does have Lamar Jackson, and that could be enough, especially if they can continue to find Proche and Duvernay in the offense and get enough solid play from the OL to be able to consistently run the ball. The Browns put up 42 points last week and lost, so I would expect a shootout. 

Watch the Ravens win 17-10. (LOL) 

• Mike in STL likes this

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:41 PM

Watch the Ravens win 17-10. (LOL) 

After the Chief's game, I don't count them out against anyone. 

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:59 PM

I think they might run out of luck on this one. Their play outside of LJ has really been pretty poor. Can't keep up like that, especially against a team that is as rock solid as the Chargers are.

Lamar is obviously the super star, but it is not just him.   Brown, Andrews, Duvernay and Proche have all stepped up.  

This is going to be a tough game, but the Ravens can win it.  The defense needs to be better, if is puts up a decent showing, I think tyhe Ravens win.  

\It is an offense league, and I think this will be a 30-24 type game.  

@mikeghg

#9 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 03:09 PM

This is a “blitz all night”, play man to man, type of matchup. Herbert’s numbers against the blitz are not nearly as good when teams rush four and play zone. Perfect game for Wink!
  • Mackus likes this

#10 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

WR Williams has not practiced all week ( knee ) and may not play.

#11 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:29 AM

WR Williams has not practiced all week ( knee ) and may not play.

That'd be a big loss for that offense. He has been locked in with Herbert all season.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:00 AM

Would definitely be a game changer if they could stick Humphrey on Allen and let the rest of the secondary deal with the rest of the WR corps sans Williams.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:43 PM

This is a “blitz all night”, play man to man, type of matchup. Herbert’s numbers against the blitz are not nearly as good when teams rush four and play zone. Perfect game for Wink!

I don’t think this is the case. His splits aren’t wildly off whether blitzed or not.

Accuracy rate when blitzed is 79.1%. 78.7% when not.
Y/A 7.5 when blitzed, 7.7 when not.
2 TDs and 0 INTs when blitzed (21.9% of the time) 11 TDs and 3 INTs when not (78.1% of the time).
Sacked once when blitzed. Sacked 8 times when not.
99.2 passer rating when blitzed. 106.3 when not.

Feel like if you blitz him he’ll just dump it to Ekeler, then our defenders who can’t tackle have to make the play.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#14 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 October 2021 - 03:10 PM

Bateman officially activated along with Tyre Phillips. Bell and Andre Smith elevated from the practice squad.

• Mike in STL likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#15 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 October 2021 - 03:13 PM

I don’t think this is the case. His splits aren’t wildly off whether blitzed or not.

Accuracy rate when blitzed is 79.1%. 78.7% when not.
Y/A 7.5 when blitzed, 7.7 when not.
2 TDs and 0 INTs when blitzed (21.9% of the time) 11 TDs and 3 INTs when not (78.1% of the time).
Sacked once when blitzed. Sacked 8 times when not.
99.2 passer rating when blitzed. 106.3 when not.

Feel like if you blitz him he’ll just dump it to Ekeler, then our defenders who can’t tackle have to make the play.

I don't think sending constant pressure is the answer but disguising looks, dropping guys out and bringing guys from different angles will be key. For as good as Herbert has been so far, he's still young and the best way to get a young guy off his game is to throw a bunch of different looks at him.

I would crowd the LOS from time to time as well. Basically, do everything under the sun to leave Herbert guessing as to which 4 are coming at him.
  • Mike in STL and JStruds like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#16 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:09 PM

Bateman officially activated along with Tyre Phillips. Bell and Andre Smith elevated from the practice squad.

Question: Is this the last time they can bring Bell up from the PS? Does he have to stay on the roster now?

#17 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:59 PM

Question: Is this the last time they can bring Bell up from the PS? Does he have to stay on the roster now?

He goes back down after the game but to add him again means I assume putting on the 53-man, or having to clear waivers to make it back on the PS. However it worked before Covid.
@BSLMikeRandall

#18 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:03 PM

Yeah you get two, then he’d have to be waived to go back to the PS, is my understanding.

COVID elevations don’t count, but his previous elevation was a regular one, as Smith was the Ferguson/COVID elevation against Denver.

#19 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:49 PM

Yeah you get two, then he’d have to be waived to go back to the PS, is my understanding.

COVID elevations don’t count, but his previous elevation was a regular one, as Smith was the Ferguson/COVID elevation against Denver.

Correct; you get 2 elevations. After tomorrow, Bell would have to either clear waivers to be returned to the PS or be added to the 53.
@primetime667083

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:58 PM

Correct; you get 2 elevations. After tomorrow, Bell would have to either clear waivers to be returned to the PS or be added to the 53.

I hope that means a heavy dose of Bell then. I want to see if he’s worthy of adding to the roster. If you barely use him, and then doesn’t clear waivers, kind of a waste. Especially if the next team gives him a real look with injuries making the rounds, and he turns into a good player again.

Edit: I don’t think Bell or Smith have to clear waivers after this game. Kevon Seymour used his two call ups already and I don’t recall him having to clear waivers on the last one.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=