41 replies to this topic

#1 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:47 AM

A thread to list players the Ravens could afford to bring in and upgrade what could potentially be a Super Bowl winning team. Of course this requires manipulating the cap which I believe can be done by any team barring being in cap Hell.

I think it is plain to see that the week link on this team is currently the defense and on the defense, the weakest positional group is inside linebacker. My thoughts are this is where EDC needs to focus his trade attention on. I think a perfect upgrade would be to bring back CJ Mosley. He would be the perfect upgrade to Harrison as well as the perfect mentor to both he and Patrick Queen. I would offer them a 4th round pick but be willing to move up to a third. What say you?

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:54 AM

Mosley is making a ton of money. Dont know how or if its possible to obtain him now. If we could I would seriously consider it.

People will talk about RBs and maybe even OL but there just isnt much to do there. I mean we are getting inquries on our RBs so that tells you the state of the FA and trade market on RBs. Improvement in the run game will have to come from better play by the OL and maybe some scheme changes
  • Hooded Viper and Mike B like this

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 08:08 AM

There is no way the Ravens are getting inquiries on their running backs.  I've never heard a sillier report.

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 08:53 AM

Marlon Mack is at the top of my list for RBs.

I'm sure the Texans would part with anyone on their roster for a decent pick. Christian Kirksey?

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 October 2021 - 09:02 AM

If we are looking upgrades I rather see a trade to help the D.  I'm hoping at some point we get a healthy Stanley back which should improve the line and the run blocking.

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 09:06 AM

I'm sure there are guys that EDC knows are available that would surprise us. I have faith he'll make a move or two.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:46 PM

Mosley is making a ton of money. Dont know how or if its possible to obtain him now. If we could I would seriously consider it.

People will talk about RBs and maybe even OL but there just isnt much to do there. I mean we are getting inquries on our RBs so that tells you the state of the FA and trade market on RBs. Improvement in the run game will have to come from better play by the OL and maybe some scheme changes

I think we will see the running game improve as defenses change their methods of dealing with Lamar the passer.  The Colts the entire first half and into the second half, had 8 in the box and at times were walking up a safety or the slot corner.  The Ravens went to 3 wide a lot but did not go away from the running game until after the half.  The Colts stubbornly tried to stay with it and Lamar began to pick them apart.  By the time they went into a more normal coverage scheme, Lamar was on fire and they exhausted themselves trying to stop him.  I think it is unlikely we will be able to find someone better than we have at this point, but I think we will be okay.

As for CJ, we can not afford that.

• makoman likes this
@mikeghg

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:47 PM

I'm sure there are guys that EDC knows are available that would surprise us. I have faith he'll make a move or two.

He is trying to walk a fine line, between going all in and not hurting the future of the franchise.

@mikeghg

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:51 PM

I think we will see the running game improve as defenses change their methods of dealing with Lamar the passer. The Colts the entire first half and into the second half, had 8 in the box and at times were walking up a safety or the slot corner. The Ravens went to 3 wide a lot but did not go away from the running game until after the half. The Colts stubbornly tried to stay with it and Lamar began to pick them apart. By the time they went into a more normal coverage scheme, Lamar was on fire and they exhausted themselves trying to stop him. I think it is unlikely we will be able to find someone better than we have at this point, but I think we will be okay.

As for CJ, we can not afford that.

It will be interesting to see how the OL and run game perform once a guy or two drop out of the box. You dis see Murray get some decent chunks in OT

#10 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:14 PM

Mosely is making $6M this year, so that's a bit more than $4M left for the rest of the year. He's guaranteed $16M next year so maybe the Jets would want to move on from that, but not sure how they could create enough space, they've already done the big restructures. We have around $2M in space but there will be more injuries to save for. 

I agree that internal improvement is probably the main answer, but I'm sure EDC will try to do something.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:18 PM

It will be interesting to see how the OL and run game perform once a guy or two drop out of the box. You dis see Murray get some decent chunks in OT

I also think the return of Nick Boyle will help the running game too.

@mikeghg

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:19 PM

Mosely is making $6M this year, so that's a bit more than $4M left for the rest of the year. He's guaranteed $16M next year so maybe the Jets would want to move on from that, but not sure how they could create enough space, they've already done the big restructures. We have around $2M in space but there will be more injuries to save for. 

I agree that internal improvement is probably the main answer, but I'm sure EDC will try to do something.

Maybe a 3rd rounder would get the Jets to pick up some $$.  It would still take all we have left though.

@mikeghg

#13 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:41 PM

He is trying to walk a fine line, between going all in and not hurting the future of the franchise.

I may be oversimplifying, but the way I see the Ravens working is that they have a budget for each position or position group, and they are reluctant to overspend in any area unless absolutely necessary. They already had to squeeze it extra hard due to losing all their RBs in pre-season, and we know there are some big bills coming due soon, notably Lamar Jackson and others. I'd be surprised to seeing them reaching out for any high priced players at this point. Even if there was a more talented/experienced ILB available, it would take time to get them up to speed in this defense.

Even with all the justifiable criticism, it is too soon to give up on Queen and Harrison. Maybe greater understanding of the game will help, as well as bulking up some. I'd think that tackling is a skill that can be coached up. In the meantime, Wink needs to scheme to help them out; the Ravens are getting gashed in the running and short passing game. It might help if they get Elliott back, they seem to be using Board more, and perhaps Bynes could get worked in as well. It's definitely a problem; the defense is not stopping anything now.

#14 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:44 PM

I'd love to see us trade for a swing tackle.  Villanueva's health worries me, and we would REALLY be hurting if he is out again. Mekari has filled in admirably on the right side, but better depth or even a starting target would ease the issue. WHO might that OT be? Hard to say, though with teams starting out 0-6 or 1-5, there could be a guy available on one of those teams.  Morgan Moses was mentioned as possibly being made available by the Jets. 

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:39 PM

Juwaun James. Have to hope he can play by the end of the year.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#16 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:35 PM

I'd love to see us trade for a swing tackle.  Villanueva's health worries me, and we would REALLY be hurting if he is out again. Mekari has filled in admirably on the right side, but better depth or even a starting target would ease the issue. WHO might that OT be? Hard to say, though with teams starting out 0-6 or 1-5, there could be a guy available on one of those teams.  Morgan Moses was mentioned as possibly being made available by the Jets. 

I've been as big a critic of Villanueva as anyone.  I thought he was done last year.  I still have my doubts about how much he has left.  But I will say he did not adjust well to RT, and now that he is back at LT he seems to be better.  But also one of the big plusses when he was in Pittsburgh was his durability.  I think he started every game there once he became a starter.  He might get banged up, but it seems like he always shows up for duty on game day.  

• Greg Pappas likes this

#17 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:36 PM

Juwaun James. Have to hope he can play by the end of the year.

I thought about him, but believe he was out all this year.  If not, he could help if he became available and got in game shape and stayed healthy, and knocked the rust off, and, and, and. :P  Anyone have an update on James?

#18 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:09 PM

I thought about him, but believe he was out all this year. If not, he could help if he became available and got in game shape and stayed healthy, and knocked the rust off, and, and, and. :P Anyone have an update on James?

I’ve never seen an update, but when he signed it was always “this signing is really for 2022, but *maybe* he *might* be available the end of this year.” As fans we definitely can’t rely on him, the team could have a better idea.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#19 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:09 AM

Without Murray yesterday the running game was bad. Freeman had a couple of good runs as did Williams. Bell is done. There is no burst. That experiment is over.

A writer mistook a statement from the Eagles coach about Miles Sanders being traded here. Sanders got injured vs Raiders. He wasn't available anyway.

They either need to find a RB that can hit a hole quicker or try McCray.

#20 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:58 AM

I said this in the other thread, but I'd look at Marlon Mack and Damien Williams. Chicago seems to love Khalil Herbert and he's cheaper.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=