44 replies to this topic

#41 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:09 PM

I don't notice Marlon's tackling all that much, because teams avoid throwing his direction. He's that good. I'd complain about something else when it comes to the defense.

I'm certainly not putting him on the level of Queen's ineptitude and you're right, he's really not involved on that many plays relative to the greater scheme of things but there are plenty of times where he's so determined to punch the ball out, he gets careless with tackling.  I've seen him ride the back of a receiver for several yards more than once.  Compared to some on this defense, I guess you could say he's one of the better tacklers but that's not saying much. 

#42 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:37 PM

I'm certainly not putting him on the level of Queen's ineptitude and you're right, he's really not involved on that many plays relative to the greater scheme of things but there are plenty of times where he's so determined to punch the ball out, he gets careless with tackling.  I've seen him ride the back of a receiver for several yards more than once.  Compared to some on this defense, I guess you could say he's one of the better tacklers but that's not saying much. 

1: I think you have to grade him on a curve relative to his position.  He's a pretty good tackler for a CB whose primary skill is coverage.  2: By the time hes being relied on to make a tackle, the runner has already gained a first down or come close to it in most cases.  I think if the runner is short of the first then he should be tackling, but otherwise the punch-out is probably more valuable.

#43 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:43 AM

I don't notice Marlon's tackling all that much, because teams avoid throwing his direction. He's that good. I'd complain about something else when it comes to the defense.

You're going to see that the rest of the season.  If I am an opposing QB I'm targeting Averett's side of the field on at least 75% of my throws and I bet I complete 80%.  If Carson Wentz and some average receivers can do it, think what some better QBs can do.   

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:50 AM

I think that Averett's played well this year.  He gave up a lot last week for sure, but it was always on a digs or comebacks,  Makes me wonder if they were coaching him to not get beat deep and he was making sure he didn't fall for a double move.

He's certainly not Humphrey, who is one of the absolute best in the league, so he's definitely going to get a lot of attention.  But I absolutely disagree that he's a major liability.  He's as solid as you could hope for a #3 who's had to move up to #2 due to injury.

• bmore_ken and makoman like this

#45 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:05 AM

Before this week Averett was leading the league (or close, I forget) in passer rating allowed in coverage this year. People were saying he was pricing himself out of Baltimore. Then he had a bad game. It happens.

Any team should target him with Humphrey on the other side, but I don't see why we should expect 80% completions against him or something. Hopefully he'll bounce back.

• JStruds likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=