44 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:21 PM

Agreed. I think even Houston whiffed on a one last night, and Humphrey may have become - at least occasionally - too focused on strips to make yard limiting tackles.

I'd say that 95% of the time going for strips is more important than limiting yards.  Exceptions I can think of quickly would include scenarios like when the ballcarrier is a few yards shy of the 1st down marker or when it's a 3rd down on the edge of FG range.  But in most cases where a CB is making a tackle, I fully support Humphrey's punchout attempts.  Forcing a fumble (which he's proven he's fantastic at) is a much bigger play than several unsuccessful punch attempts that lead to 3 or 5 or occasionally more yards.

I think given that we frequently see him go for the punchouts, that the Ravens decision-makers agree with his philosophy.  I really doubt that he's being advised to not do that and just use two hands to wrap up but instead constantly ignores that coaching.

• makoman likes this

#22 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:33 PM

I'd say that 95% of the time going for strips is more important than limiting yards. Exceptions I can think of quickly would include scenarios like when the ballcarrier is a few yards shy of the 1st down marker or when it's a 3rd down on the edge of FG range. But in most cases where a CB is making a tackle, I fully support Humphrey's punchout attempts. Forcing a fumble (which he's proven he's fantastic at) is a much bigger play than several unsuccessful punch attempts that lead to 3 or 5 or occasionally more yards.

I think given that we frequently see him go for the punchouts, that the Ravens decision-makers agree with his philosophy. I really doubt that he's being advised to not do that and just use two hands to wrap up but instead constantly ignores that coaching.

Not really disagreeing with you, but has he had any punch outs this year? Seems like by game 5 last year he already had at least 2-3.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:35 PM

Not really disagreeing with you, but has he had any punch outs this year? Seems like by game 5 last year he already had at least 2-3.

Nope, none so far this year.  Forced 8 fumbles last year.  Not sure they were all punchouts, but I'd bet almost all of them were.  8 is insane, he'll probably won't get more than 3 or 4 ever again. 

#24 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:08 PM

I'd say that 95% of the time going for strips is more important than limiting yards.  Exceptions I can think of quickly would include scenarios like when the ballcarrier is a few yards shy of the 1st down marker or when it's a 3rd down on the edge of FG range.  But in most cases where a CB is making a tackle, I fully support Humphrey's punchout attempts.  Forcing a fumble (which he's proven he's fantastic at) is a much bigger play than several unsuccessful punch attempts that lead to 3 or 5 or occasionally more yards.

I think given that we frequently see him go for the punchouts, that the Ravens decision-makers agree with his philosophy.  I really doubt that he's being advised to not do that and just use two hands to wrap up but instead constantly ignores that coaching.

Sometimes it's a LOT more than 3 or 5 yards.  He's a poor tackler in general, regardless of whether he's trying to punch the ball out or not.  Peters wasn't going to win any tackling awards either. 

#25 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:48 AM

Humphrey is a poor tackler? From the naked eye, at least from what I've seen, he's probably one of the better tacklers on the team. He's a very physical CB. You can't even compare him to Peters in that regard.
  • Mackus likes this

#26 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:59 AM

Humphrey is a poor tackler? From the naked eye, at least from what I've seen, he's probably one of the better tacklers on the team. He's a very physical CB. You can't even compare him to Peters in that regard.

All I ever see him doing is punching at the ball and arms flailing away.  Eventually, he wrestles the runner to the ground.  

#27 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:27 AM

All I ever see him doing is punching at the ball and arms flailing away. Eventually, he wrestles the runner to the ground.

I'd say Humphrey is a great tackler, however he often times tries to force the fumble. I'd agree that there are times I'd rather he just make the tackle, though.

#28 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:09 AM

Teams that win the turnover battle win over 75% of the time, and there are fewer turnover nowadays than ever so each is more important. 8 was absurd, but if Humphrey only punches out a couple a year I think that's worth it as long as he's judicious about when he does it, and I think that's the source of any of his tackling problems.

#29 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:21 AM

Teams that win the turnover battle win over 75% of the time, and there are fewer turnover nowadays than ever so each is more important. 8 was absurd, but if Humphrey only punches out a couple a year I think that's worth it as long as he's judicious about when he does it, and I think that's the source of any of his tackling problems.

That's the problem- I don't find him being judicious about it.  I get the importance of turnovers but personally, I'd rather see him bring the damn receiver to the ground without another 15-20 yards of YAC. It just gets tiring watching that defense week after week making love to ball carriers instead of leveling them.  

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:50 AM

15-20 yards of YAC given up while trying to punch the ball out seems about 5X, possibly 10X, beyond typical.

#31 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:07 PM

15-20 yards of YAC given up while trying to punch the ball out seems about 5X, possibly 10X, beyond typical.

The tackling is certainly beyond typical. 

#32 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:09 PM

I only remember one egregious one (Denver?) but I don't think he was even punching, I think he just had no leverage on a strong back and was hanging on for dear life.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:11 PM

I only remember one egregious one (Denver?) but I don't think he was even punching, I think he just had no leverage on a strong back and was hanging on for dear life.

You and I must've just forgotten the twenty or thirty other times it's happened this season...

#34 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:14 PM

On the re-watch, it's alarming how badly Patrick Queen is getting blown off the ball on running plays. In the 4th quarter, right after the Houston horse collar tackle penalty, the Colts ran a pitch left to Taylor and #81 engaged Queen about 2 yards from the LOS and pushed him to the 1st down marker with little effort. I can't have my starting inside linebacker playing that way. It's inexcusable.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:21 PM

On the re-watch, it's alarming how badly Patrick Queen is getting blown off the ball on running plays. In the 4th quarter, right after the Houston horse collar tackle penalty, the Colts ran a pitch left to Taylor and #81 engaged Queen about 2 yards from the LOS and pushed him to the 1st down marker with little effort. I can't have my starting inside linebacker playing that way. It's inexcusable.

Hes right there with Boller and Elam as the biggest 1st round busts in franchise history. I swear I wasnt joking about trading him. Realistically I know you cant cut him but he cant be starting. Bynes has to be better. If whoever replaces him does just one thing adequately he'll give you more than you get from Queen

#36 MirzetSalihovic

MirzetSalihovic

All-Star

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:51 PM

patrick queen, 84th rated linebacker via pff...out of 84 qualifiers.. 

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:56 PM

Still feels a bit high

• You Play to Win the Game and BaltBird 24 like this

#38 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:52 PM

All I ever see him doing is punching at the ball and arms flailing away. Eventually, he wrestles the runner to the ground.

For his position he's a pretty good tackler. CBs aren't exactly picked for their tackling prowess most of the time.

#39 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:56 PM

He's too slow to read plays. Because of his size he needs to react faster than the next guy. He's okay blitzing because he can use that athleticism to blow by people. Athleticism won't help you read a run faster. And he's too small to play on the edge.

It's alarming to me that Oweh seems to be a much better coverage LB than Queen despite being 30 lbs heavier and 5 inches taller. If we had another OLB/edge guy I'd almost consider pushing Oweh inside.

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:54 PM

I don't notice Marlon's tackling all that much, because teams avoid throwing his direction. He's that good. I'd complain about something else when it comes to the defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=