Photo

Balt Sun: Mike Preston’s report card: Position-by-position grades for Ravens through the first quarter of 2021 season |

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:59 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston’s report card: Position-by-position grades for Ravens through the first quarter of 2021 season |

#2 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 10:04 AM

Crazy that Murray has almost double the touches, and still hasn't surpassed Williams in yards.

#3 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 10 October 2021 - 10:16 AM

Crazy that Murray has almost double the touches, and still hasn't surpassed Williams in yards.

I caught that too; the numbers must lie. 🤔

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 10:53 AM

Is Williams active this week or is he still in Shawshank? 

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 10:56 AM

I heard he had a fumble in practice this week so he'll probably be demoted to practice squad.

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 12:27 PM

I heard he had a fumble in practice this week so he'll probably be demoted to practice squad.

A fumble in practice?  My God, they must have found the rock he was digging the wall with. 

#7 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:03 PM

I couldn't read the article because I am not a subscriber, but it doesn't matter anyway.  I like that Preston is objective, but I don't always agree with his opinions.  Personally myself I would give every unit on the Ravens a "C" with the exception of QB where Lamar Jackson gets an A+.  And the kicking game where Tucker of course earns his A+ as usual. The only other exception I would make is to say the D-line has maybe earned a "B", and that would only be because of the play of Oweh.  

The other units have been average at best.  The RB's are pretty much a disaster, but that was to be expected.  You can't bring in three washed up guys who couldn't earn a position on some of the worst teams out there and think it's going to be good.  The running is game is Lamar Jackson and only him.  I am in agreement with everyone else here who wonders why Williams is in Harbaugh's famous dog house.  He seems to be the RB with the only juice to actually run at NFL speed.  Murray, Bell, and Freeman look like they could be outrun by a Grandma with a walker!  

Everyone else, the receivers and secondary are inconsistent.  The linebackers maybe even get a "D".  They get pushed around a lot and tackling has been terrible.  The WR's show some great flashes like in Denver, and some dreadful moments like in Detroit.   

All in all the team is 3-1, and that's not bad at all considering some of their play.  Without Jackson, Tucker, Oweh, and a very blind play clock official in Detroit, they could easily be 1-3.  But hey, wins are wins.  There is a lot to improve on, but it's better to have a lot to improve on when you are 3-1 instead of 1-3.  Ask Pittsburgh.  

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:22 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston’s report card: Position-by-position grades for Ravens through the first quarter of 2021 season |

Running backs

The Ravens have a stable of mediocre runners after injuries to Dobbins and Edwards. Fortunately, they have Jackson, who opens up a defense with his outside speed on option and running plays. The Ravens lack the home run threat but that’s OK in a downhill running game. Ty’Son Williams, who was inactive against the Broncos last week, leads the team in rushing with 164 yards on 27 carries and Latavius Murray has 151 yards on 44 carries. Murray fits the style needed in this offense as a one-cut-back who immediately accelerates through the hole. Williams, Murray and Devonta Freeman need to improve on picking up blitzes going into the next four games. Grade: C

Offensive line

This group has been solid despite numerous injuries and a sub-par training camp but will have to improve in pass protection. Center Bradley Bozeman and right guard Kevin Zeitler have played well, though not spectacular. The Ravens use a steady rotation at left guard, and neither rookie Ben Cleveland nor Ben Powers has played well enough to become the full-time reliable starter. Right tackle Patrick Mekari is probably the most technically sound of all the linemen but is small at 6-foot-4 and 308 pounds. He is better suited to physically play guard or center, but the Ravens lack better options. Left tackle Alejandro Villanueva’s performance has been up and down and now he’s dealing with a knee injury but still has played better than he did in training camp and preseason. When it comes to pass protection, you never know how this group will perform. That’s worrisome. Grade: C

Wide receivers

Despite the poor showing against the Lions in Week 3, third-year player Marquise Brown (19 catches, 326 yards, three touchdowns) has performed well overall, especially in his route running and getting his arms away from his body when catching the ball. There are few cornerbacks who can cover him in crossing routes. Veteran Sammy Watkins (16 catches, 257 yards) has been a good complement while tight end Mark Andrews (18 catches, 253 yards) has dominated the short and intermediate areas, as expected. Against Denver, Jackson completed passes to five receivers, including James Proche II and Devin Duvernay, against Denver last week. That’s a sign Jackson is becoming more comfortable and has gained confidence in not just Brown and Andrews. Grade: B

Defensive line

The Ravens have played well even though there has been little continuity. Nose tackle Brandon Williams has missed time with a neck injury and because of COVID-19 protocol. End Derek Wolfe has yet to play in a game because of back pain and was recently placed on injured reserve. Regardless, the Ravens have had success because of quality backups and the domination of veteran end Calais Campbell. Second-year player Justin Madubuike has filled in well for Wolfe and gives the Ravens some much-needed pass-rushing pressure inside. Backing up the three starters are Broderick Washington and Justice Ellis, possible starters for some NFL teams. This group hasn’t been an issue. Grade: B

Linebackers

Middle linebacker Patrick Queen leads the team in tackles with 27, four ahead of safety Chuck Clark, but the second-year player out of LSU hasn’t played well this season. He has a sack and two tackles for losses, but a lot of his tackles are several yards off the line of scrimmage. Weakside linebacker Malik Harrison has lacked a strong physical presence as well. Both need to perform much better. Rookie outside linebacker Odafe Oweh has played well and has 10 tackles and two sacks. Strongside linebacker Tyus Bowser has been steady, but the Ravens need more production from outside linebackers Justin Houston and Pernell McPhee. Veteran Josh Bynes might see more action inside if Queen and Harrison continue to struggle. Grade: C-

Secondary

Cornerback Anthony Averett has played well filling in for Peters. He is fourth on the team with 16 tackles and has batted away four passes, a sign that the team can’t be picked on. Fellow cornerback Marlon Humphrey has 20 tackles but hasn’t played as well as he did last season, and there are times when he appears to be trying to do too much. Clark, as usual, has been steady, especially in run support, as he’s second on the team with 23 tackles. Opposing teams have to account for him when he is near the line of scrimmage. Safety DeShon Elliott is one of the hardest hitters on the team but has struggled with several injuries. Rookie Brandon Stephens has tried hard to fill in for Elliott, but his inexperience shows. Meanwhile, veteran Jimmy Smith has done a good job tracking tight ends the last two games in nickel and dime packages. Grade: B

Special teams

Justin Tucker has converted on 10 of 11 field goals with two of those from 50 yards or more, including the NFL record 66-yard field goal to beat Detroit. With Sam Koch averaging 46.6 yards on 16 punts, the Ravens have one of the best kicking units in the league. Duvernay is averaging 18.9 yards on punt returns but has trouble deciding when to field them inside his own 20-yard line. He’s just inexperienced; he’ll get better. Meanwhile, the Ravens are allowing only an average of 8 yards per punt return. Grade: A-

Coaching

The Ravens have been hit hard by injuries but are 3-1 and have played three road games. Offensive coordinator Greg Roman has upgraded the passing game and is attacking all areas of the field. Defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale’s defense has struggled with tackling, but they’ve still found a way to get consistent pressure on the quarterback despite not having a big-name pass rusher. Jackson has carried this team, but Harbaugh has led them well. The resiliency and teamwork he preaches has paid off. Grade: A-

• russsnyder likes this

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 08:16 AM

Mostly agree with Preston on these grades

#10 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 08:30 AM

I'm sure he'll be inactive again. Meanwhile Murray will steamroll to 31 yards on 18 carries tonight. Bell will be the shining light with 15 yards on 5 carries. And Freeman will bring the power for -2 yards on his only touch, probably losing 2 yards on a 3rd and 3 where Roman runs his favorite zone run behind Powers and Bozeman to make it 4th and 5. All while TwentyThirtyFive explains to everyone that Williams has fumbled twice.
  • Hooded Viper and jamesdean like this

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 11:16 AM

Williams is the new Marlon Brown. Everyone tried to make him something more than he was too. I hope Williams does what he needs to do to get more touches. He obviously has some juice in his legs. Its not on me or anyone here to question the coaching staff too harshly. We just dont have enough information.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 October 2021 - 12:06 PM

Frankly, I think the Ravens are handling the running backs as well as possible.

I get that Williams has become the back of choice for most fans, but the thing I know, is the coaches know better than us, on who gives them the best chance to win.  

I found this interesting.

https://www.espn.com...cks-sources-say

We had to replace our top 3 backs.  I think EDC did pretty well.

@mikeghg

#13 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:14 PM

A here's the funny part about those trade inquiries.  According to Ebony Bird, Williams is the most likely candidate to be traded.

Of the four running backs who have seen playing time with the Ravens this season, the most obvious trade candidate is probably Williams.  The BYU product has easily been the Ravens’ most efficient and productive running back, but for whatever reason, he seems to have fallen out of favor with the coaching staff.

https://ebonybird.co...svTX7UkyYcEJC5o

#14 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:27 PM

Frankly, I think the Ravens are handling the running backs as well as possible.

I get that Williams has become the back of choice for most fans, but the thing I know, is the coaches know better than us, on who gives them the best chance to win.
I found this interesting.
https://www.espn.com...cks-sources-say

We had to replace our top 3 backs. I think EDC did pretty well.

I accept the caveat that the coaches obviously see and know more than us. But based only on game performance, fans have to wonder why not Williams.

Said this when EDC made those moves: and he did it without using any of his draft stockpile. That's an accomplishment.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:27 PM

A here's the funny part about those trade inquiries. According to Ebony Bird, Williams is the most likely candidate to be traded.

If I had to put odds on the most to fewest inquries on our RBs I would guess Murray,Williams,Bell, then Freeman. Truly tough to see any interest in Freeman though. He still seems like he'll be cut soon.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:30 PM

It would be funny if EDC turned any of these guys into draft pick compensation considering none would be on the active roster without the injuries

#17 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 03:06 PM

It would be funny if EDC turned any of these guys into draft pick compensation considering none would be on the active roster without the injuries

After Vedvik I'll believe anything is possible. 

#18 MirzetSalihovic

MirzetSalihovic

All-Star

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 03:21 PM

Thanks Chris for posting that article for the non subscribers lol. I wish Preston distinguished between linebackers and edge rushers. Because the grade would surely be a D or an F for the linebacker play thus far, for the edge group would be in the C+/B range. Mainly because of the outstanding play of Oweh thus far

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, the ILB are bringing down the LB grade a good bit.

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 03:59 PM

A here's the funny part about those trade inquiries.  According to Ebony Bird, Williams is the most likely candidate to be traded.

That's what I was thinking.  Why would anyone want the other three? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=