30 replies to this topic

#21 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 07:59 PM

Yeah he's def great at showing up near the end of a group tackle and celebrating as if he was the lead tackler on the play.

He's also great at catching up to guys who beat him in coverage for late tackles.

Also great at receiving accolades before evey game, as if he's the 2nd coming of Ray Lewis.

I'm being a bit mean, Patrick Queen seems like a stand-up human being, so I feel a little bad.

I think with both Queen and Oweh, the Ravens were seduced by their sheer athletic ability and felt they could take those talents and develop great NFL players.  Oweh has already made an impact on his own and continues to shine every week.  Queen has become the epitome of a draft bust.  Sometimes what you see on tape just never translates to the Pro level.  It happens in every sport.  

#22 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:04 PM

Seriously is there anything Queen does consistently well? Paricularly a skill thats needed as a LB.

He's an OK blitzer IMO. But MLBs don't blitz all that often so it's only a situationally useful skill.

#23 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:10 AM

He's an OK blitzer IMO. But MLBs don't blitz all that often so it's only a situationally useful skill.

I would say that is his one useful skill. He actually is a great pass rusher when he's cut loose after the QB.

But as you stated, not exactly the best trait to be great at as an ILB.

#24 MirzetSalihovic

MirzetSalihovic

All-Star

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:40 AM

As much as having fast athletic linebackers can be a benefit in today’s NFL, you still see why bigger linebackers like bobby Wagner are still needed. Wagner excels at both coverage and block shedding. Would like to see queen add some weight so he can take on linemen

#25 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:45 AM

As much as having fast athletic linebackers can be a benefit in today’s NFL, you still see why bigger linebackers like bobby Wagner are still needed. Wagner excels at both coverage and block shedding. Would like to see queen add some weight so he can take on linemen

I thought he should have added weight and strength after last season but apparently, the Ravens brass felt differently.  

#26 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:13 AM

It also helps that Wagner is 6' and 250 lbs. ILB has become a bit of a devalued position in today's NFL, due to the need for nickel, dime and dollar formations. It's almost more important to have a bigger, hybrid safety than it is to have a big thumper. That's what EDC was swinging for with Queen. He was hoping his coverage skills would develop and he'd have a perfect hybrid in the middle of his defense. Unfortunately, Queen just hasn't developed, at least not to this point. Maybe he can be a late bloomer like Kenny Young became with the Rams.

It's just frustrating to watch Queen play so good in the preseason. He was reading screens. Covering RBs and TE's well. Splitting gaps and getting to the ball carrier well. Then as soon as the real season starts, it's like he forgot how to play football again.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,676 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:42 AM

If Queen gets to the point things are more instinctual vs. pausing to think before he reacts... he'll become effective. 
If that light doesn't go on, he won't. 

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:53 AM

Its more than instincts. Surely that would help but hes still struggling with shedding and tackling.

#29 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:25 AM

It also helps that Wagner is 6' and 250 lbs. ILB has become a bit of a devalued position in today's NFL, due to the need for nickel, dime and dollar formations. It's almost more important to have a bigger, hybrid safety than it is to have a big thumper. That's what EDC was swinging for with Queen. He was hoping his coverage skills would develop and he'd have a perfect hybrid in the middle of his defense. Unfortunately, Queen just hasn't developed, at least not to this point. Maybe he can be a late bloomer like Kenny Young became with the Rams.

It's just frustrating to watch Queen play so good in the preseason. He was reading screens. Covering RBs and TE's well. Splitting gaps and getting to the ball carrier well. Then as soon as the real season starts, it's like he forgot how to play football again.

Because he was playing against 2nd and 3rd string players.  Once the season starts and it's everyone's A team, it's a whole different ball game.  At that level, he's still overmatched.  It's like Oriole pitchers doing well at AAA, getting promoted and finding out their stuff is nothing but shit against major league hitters. 

#30 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:54 PM

Because he was playing against 2nd and 3rd string players. Once the season starts and it's everyone's A team, it's a whole different ball game. At that level, he's still overmatched. It's like Oriole pitchers doing well at AAA, getting promoted and finding out their stuff is nothing but shit against major league hitters.

I was speaking more on the mental things. He read the runs and screens to perfection. Diagnosing the play quickly and reacting instantly shouldn't be reliant on who is running the plays. As soon as the regular season hits, it's like he forgot how to read and react at all.

#31 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:09 PM

I was speaking more on the mental things. He read the runs and screens to perfection. Diagnosing the play quickly and reacting instantly shouldn't be reliant on who is running the plays. As soon as the regular season hits, it's like he forgot how to read and react at all.

I get what you're saying but I meant that in preseason, everything is vanilla and being run by players who probably won't even be on NFL rosters come September. Play calling is more elementary and you're attacking players who aren't as talented.  More like what you excelled against in college.  Once the season starts, it's just a whole different level.  What that tells me is he's capable against college level players but not those in the NFL.  For all we know Oweh may be having a hard time mentally processing everything too but is just more talented than Queen and it seems easier for him. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=