Photo

Balt Sun: Five takeaways from Orioles GM Mike Elias’ season-ending media session

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 05:16 PM

Balt SunFive takeaways from Orioles GM Mike Elias’ season-ending media session

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:14 AM

Elias being pretty direct they wont do anything, or at least setting the bar low.

For the reasons I wrote about... I don't think that is acceptable. There are definitely moves available, and I'm not talking about the top of the market.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:17 AM

Pathetic. He needs to go. It's completely unacceptable. The ends don't justify the means here.

You want to tank next year? Don't sell tickets and refund the money we pay for MASN, then I'm square for 2022. These sick greedy bastards, man.

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:45 AM

Pathetic. He needs to go. It's completely unacceptable. The ends don't justify the means here.

You want to tank next year? Don't sell tickets and refund the money we pay for MASN, then I'm square for 2022. These sick greedy bastards, man.

Yeah let’s get rid of the guy who has this organization in as good of shape it’s ever been in because fans are tired of losing… It’s coming up on his third anniversary, 2018 doesn’t count against him. This isn’t a Mark Turgeon situation.

I think they should sign some better guys to gear up a bit and still think they very much could even with these “unacceptable” quotes. The tanking is over. 4 or 5 of our top 10 prospects will be in the major leagues next year. The tables are turning but I don’t blame them if they don’t go all in a year early. It’s just a matter of time, I’ve never been so confident as an Orioles fan.

Elias isn’t perfect, of course, and losing sucks but I never want to go back to the days of 1998-2011 and “trying to win”.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:46 AM

Cant read it. Ill keep preaching it even if some dont want to hear it. Under this ownership we are going to act like a small market team. I think we will ultimately spend more than a TB does once we get internal pieces in place but we will always be in the 20-30 payroll range.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:48 AM

Cant read it. Ill keep preaching it even if some dont want to hear it. Under this ownership we are going to act like a small market team. I think we will ultimately spend more than a TB does once we get internal pieces in place but we will always be in the 20-30 payroll range.

Honestly, possibly not even 20 as our ceiling. Im not sure what the #20 teams payroll is this year. We may be closer to 23 or 24 on a reg basis with an occasional 20 depending on the year.

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:54 AM

When he was signed everyone was on board for a “real rebuild”.

Less than three years later it’s unacceptable despite having the first or second best farm system in baseball, going from negative international presence to catching up to the league and building a top notch facility in the DR, same thing with analytics and player development tools in the minors, and having some breakout players at the major league level (Mullins, Means, Mountcastle). I honestly don't see how it could've gone any better to this point.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:00 AM

Less than three years later it’s unacceptable despite having the first or second best farm system in baseball, going from negative international presence to catching up to the league and building a top notch facility in the DR, same thing with analytics and player development tools in the minors, and having some breakout players at the major league level (Mullins, Means, Mountcastle). I honestly don't see how it could've gone any better to this point.

It'll be four years. The man just said it's cool to lose another 100 in 2022. It's completely unacceptable. I'd rather be an 80 win team with a chance here and there than this garbage. It'll be half a decade, minimum, until Elias produces a .500 ball club. Life's too short for this loser mindset crap.

But what really gets me? They're just sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars not spent at this point.

You guys should care more about this.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:03 AM

I couldn't give a damn less how many wins Bowie had this year. He can take the minor league rankings and stick them up his ass. It's no excuse to not value or care whatsoever about wins at the major league level, yet again, for the 4th season upcoming. Completely unacceptable.

#10 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:06 AM

It'll be four years. The man just said it's cool to lose another 100 in 2022. It's completely unacceptable. I'd rather be an 80 win team with a chance here and there than this garbage. It'll be half a decade, minimum, until Elias produces a .500 ball club. Life's too short for this loser mindset crap.

But what really gets me? They're just sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars not spent at this point.

You guys should care more about this.

It’ll be four years… a year from now.

I don’t think you’ll find three people who “care more about this”. I think what I need is to stop posting and looking at the board until everyone on here is inevitably obsessed with this team in two years.

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:09 AM

They could win the World Series in 2023 and this will still have been pathetic and unacceptable. Have some pride and class. Win some damn games.

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:09 AM

Lol ok

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:11 AM

I don’t think you’ll find three people who “care more about this”. I think what I need is to stop posting and looking at the board until everyone on here is inevitably obsessed with this team in two years.

Don't be that guy Bob, seriously. That's BS. I'm not obsessed with the O's? Not many have more game thread posts than me, even this season. My obsession is why this is so F'ing miserable. I get you follow the minors and everything is swell down there, but I'm an Orioles fan. And they suck and our fancy GM is cool with that. He's an ass.

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:23 AM

Yup and the lost year for so many minor league players

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:28 AM

Right, but it WILL be four years. And then a hope in 2023 that they're .500 and prove to ownership they're worthy to invest around. Then in 2024 they'll add some nice players, and pray they're ready to win. If it goes the way of the Padres, it could be 2025 or 2026 before they finally break through. That's pathetic. Life is too short.

And the "care more about this" was specifically the tanking. The pocketing of 100's of millions of dollars while Elias builds. I have yet to see you criticize that. So I'm not sure how you can say this.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:29 AM

Yup and the lost year for so many minor league players

A league wide issue. But let's give the Angelos family another excuse to pocket all the money for another year or two. 

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:40 AM

A league wide issue. But let's give the Angelos family another excuse to pocket all the money for another year or two.

The Os are the ones doing the full rebuild and depending on some of those guys to be core players on the next contender. Yes, every team had to deal with it. Not every team had such a lack of talent in their organization at the higher levels. It pushed back the timeframe for our team to contend. Look, Ill get impatient and annoyed at some point. I dont begrudge the people that want to see the Os do something just to do something. Right now, it would be making moves just to make moves. There isnt enough talent at the higher levels to contend.

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:42 AM

The Os are the ones doing the full rebuild and depending on some of those guys to be core players on the next contender. Yes, every team had to deal with it. Not every team had such a lack of talent in their organization at the higher levels. It pushed back the timeframe. Look, Ill get impatient and annoyed at some point. I dont begrudge the people that want to see the Os do something just to do something. Right now, it would be making moves just to make moves. There isnt enough talent at the higher levels to contend

I don't want them to do something to do something. I want them to use the resources the fans continue to pout into the organization, and try and win more games. I'm not under the illusion they can make the playoffs in 2022, regardless of what they do. That's not the point. The point is, this is unacceptable. They don't care about winning more games. It's all or nothing with them, and that's total BS. Adding to the roster this year, does not debilitate them whatsoever moving forward with their plan. It throws the fans a bone, but screw us, right? 

Really, there's no defense of this. I try to see both sides, but there isn't a valid opinion opposite this. It's completely unacceptable.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:42 AM

Elias isn’t perfect, of course, and losing sucks but I never want to go back to the days of 1998-2011 and “trying to win”.

There is no need to choose between these options.  Nothing except for ownership greed and management hubris necessitates the MLB product being this bad.  There is nothing happening in the minors and development system that couldn't also be happening while putting a better team on the field.

• dude likes this

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:43 AM

I honestly don't see how it could've gone any better to this point.

Do what little it takes to only be a 90 loss team instead of a 110+ loss team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=