537 replies to this topic

#521 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:57 AM

Wasn't Denver down by 16?  So, doesn't it make sense for them to still be trying to get a score?  Get a score, onside kick, Hail Mary - yes, it's incredibly improbable, but I certainly think you keep fighting all the way to the end there so I don't think that was DEN going for a "meaningless" TD.  It was a 3-score game, sure.

Put me in the camp that it was a cheap move by BAL, but as others have mentioned, I'm sure they don't remotely care.

#522 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:59 AM

Call it what you want really - it's a 60 minute game. Write more explicit rules if it's that big a deal. 

#523 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:01 AM

Wasn't Denver down by 16?  So, doesn't it make sense for them to still be trying to get a score?  Get a score, onside kick, Hail Mary - yes, it's incredibly improbable, but I certainly think you keep fighting all the way to the end there so I don't think that was DEN going for a "meaningless" TD.  It was a 3-score game, sure.

Put me in the camp that it was a cheap move by BAL, but as others have mentioned, I'm sure they don't remotely care.

If they were still actually trying to win they had an odd way of showing it. They got the ball back with 1:51 and proceeded to use 1:23 on their first 4 plays. Only when they got under 30 seconds left did they start using timeouts. Seemed a lot like they were playing to have one last possession/score, not two.

#524 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:17 AM

I think Harbs point, was once it got to 10 seconds why keep throwing the ball.  

Too much is being made of the whole thing IMO.

I think Harbs was pissed at the cheap shots Denver was taking and trying to take on Lamar, was pissed at them throwing into the end zone on the final few seconds, and yes, he wanted the record, so he went for it.

One other thing, ifr Fangio, was so worried about injuries, shouldn't he has let the last 90 seconds go??  That game was over.

@mikeghg

#525 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:30 AM

I think Harbs was pissed at the cheap shots Denver was taking and trying to take on Lamar, was pissed at them throwing into the end zone on the final few seconds, and yes, he wanted the record, so he went for it.

One other thing, ifr Fangio, was so worried about injuries, shouldn't he has let the last 90 seconds go??  That game was over.

Especially let it go when youre already using your #2 QB. Fangio is allowed to feel butt hurt but dont use the player safety BS.

#526 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:35 AM

I mean, I just don't understand any of this.

Of course they're going to keep trying to pass the ball into the end zone.  Even with 10 seconds left, if you get a score there and a 2-pt, you're only 1 possession down.  Then you go for the onside kick and hope for a miracle.  Why would any coach be upset at that?

Again, is it highly improbable?  Absolutely, but if I were a fan I'd be pretty ticked if my team just rolled over and stopped trying there.  Now if it were a 3 score difference, sure, that would literally be impossible.

I just don't think the "Denver was still trying" argument holds any weight at all here.  Once DEN didn't score, yes, the game was over.

#527 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:38 AM

If they were still actually trying to win they had an odd way of showing it. They got the ball back with 1:51 and proceeded to use 1:23 on their first 4 plays. Only when they got under 30 seconds left did they start using timeouts. Seemed a lot like they were playing to have one last possession/score, not two.

Well then I would say that was just bad clock management.  Down 2 scores with that much time left, absolutely you're still in the game and should be looking to score twice.

#528 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:47 AM

So Denver fans would have been pissed had Fangio ran the clock out there; but the Ravens fans aren't allowed to desire a record that has been a few years in the making? Why does their commitment to a 1 in a billion comeback matter more than the Ravens securing a record they very much earned?
  • 1970 and PrimeTime like this

#529 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:51 AM

So Denver fans would have been pissed had Fangio ran the clock out there; but the Ravens fans aren't allowed to desire a record that has been a few years in the making? Why does their commitment to a 1 in a billion comeback matter more than the Ravens securing a record they very much earned?

Harbaugh nailed it when he said whats meaningful to them isnt meaningful to us and vice versa. My thing, as I said earlier, is who was it meaningful to on the Ravens side. Im not buying it was mostly the players.

#530 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:53 AM

When did I ever say anything about Ravens fans not being "allowed" do feel a certain way?  I think it was a pretty cheap way to get the record myself, but people can feel the way they want to feel about it.

My only real argument here is that the argument that Denver was still trying doesn't make any sense.  Denver was still trying because they were trying to win the game.  It made perfect sense to do so.  Denver still trying to score, and the Ravens choosing to run a play instead of a take a knee, are not remotely comparable given the context.

• Mackus likes this

#531 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:12 PM

When did I ever say anything about Ravens fans not being "allowed" do feel a certain way? I think it was a pretty cheap way to get the record myself, but people can feel the way they want to feel about it.

My only real argument here is that the argument that Denver was still trying doesn't make any sense. Denver was still trying because they were trying to win the game. It made perfect sense to do so. Denver still trying to score, and the Ravens choosing to run a play instead of a take a knee, are not remotely comparable given the context.

It's inconsistent. It doesn't make any less sense, given all the context, for the Ravens to go get the record. And we're talking a few yards, nothing embarrassing or shameful. We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.
  • glenn__davis likes this

#532 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:35 PM

Harbaugh nailed it when he said whats meaningful to them isnt meaningful to us and vice versa. My thing, as I said earlier, is who was it meaningful to on the Ravens side. Im not buying it was mostly the players.

My assumption is it's more meaningful to a lot of players than you want to believe. Maybe I'm wrong. But Harbaugh had to know what running a play there would bring. So to still run a play to me, means he had a lot of support on the sideline on the decision.

I think Lamar is being honest when he says he personally didn't care. Because I don't think he truly cares about statistical accomplishments. He'd trade every statistical record for a ring in a heartbeat. So I buy that. But I'm not sure I buy that most players don't care about a record that takes 3 years to break and has stood for decades.

#533 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:39 PM

As Mack said earlier, how many players here have played a significant role in this run. Not many. Lamar obviously. You mentioned Bozeman. Stanley wasnt there Sunday. Gus wasnt there. Boyle wasnt there. I guess some of the other OL guys and Ricard have played a decent amount of games during the streak. I think this meant more to Harbaugh and Roman than any one else in the organization. Id bet a good amount that the majority of players on the roster didnt know about the record until after.

#534 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:43 PM

As Mack said earlier, how many players here have played a significant role in this run. Not many. Lamar obviously. You mentioned Bozeman. Stanley wasnt there Sunday. Gus wasnt there. Boyle wasnt there. I guess some of the other OL guys and Ricard have played a decent amount of games during the streak. I think this meant more to Harbaugh and Roman than any one else in the organization. Id bet a good amount that the majority of players on the roster didnt know about the record until after.

So you think Harbaugh and Roman went rogue with little to no support from their players?

#535 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:41 PM

So you think Harbaugh and Roman went rogue with little to no support from their players?

The face of the franchise and a team leader didnt know
  • cprenegade likes this

#536 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:37 AM

The face of the franchise and a team leader didnt know

He said after the game he was ready to kneel down and get out with a win. I wish he would have done it, despite Harbaugh's decision.  Harbaugh would have cried like a little bitch because he couldn't get a record.  That's the way the entire Harbaugh family is.  John and Jim do the same thing.  Jim is hated in the big ten. John Harbaugh is a great coach. He has the team prepared for just about every game.  But as far as class goes, not so much.  

#537 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:58 AM

It's all about opinions.  Mine is well known.  I don't really care about records.  In the Baltimore Sunpapers this was the comments on their Power ranking for the Ravens....."Really impressive all they've overcome en route to a solid 3-1 start......even as unimpressive as John Harbaugh's decision to manufacture a record Sunday was."

Not sure I could have said it better myself.  

#538 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 09:26 PM

No, I can't go along with that.  Yes, the probability was very low, but you still play as a team coming from behind.  Did the Raven's simply kneel on the ball last year when everyone knew they weren't beating KC?  No, they kept trying just as every team does.  I think it is a different story when you are up by 16 with 4 seconds left.  Denver can't change that outcome no matter what you do.  Again, everyone has their own opinion.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=