31 replies to this topic

#21 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:29 AM

They're point has been, he won't be able to those things in a "year or two" once his legs go like most "RB's". It's just jealousy. Lot of haters who wished they took him instead.

It will be interesting how he transitions once he loses some juice. Hes always going to have mobility and an ability to extend plays. He wont always be the fastest player on the field

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:41 AM

It will be interesting how he transitions once he loses some juice. Hes always going to have mobility and an ability to extend plays. He wont always be the fastest player on the field

He won't, but he'll be just fine. 

Also, it's amazing the regularity with which I screw up their/there/they're. 

#23 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:47 AM

It's always been totally asinine to me for the doubters to dismiss Lamar's rushing production as if it's not creating the same result as passing, arguably in a more impressive way. I was reading something the other day, I think from Steven Ruiz, about how the Ravens (and Lamar in particular) create explosive running plays at a similar or higher rate than most of the leagues explosive passing plays. He's one of one.

At this point, the only people trying to downplay Lamar's production on the field and the impact he has on the game are either trolling, pushing hot takes for a living, or generally clueless about football.

I appreciate how the writer presented all of the stats, though I do think if you're going to combine passing/rushing yards, you should probably combine INTs/fumbles as well. I'm not sure that Lamar's fumbles would put him too far ahead of any the other QBs in that category, but I'd be curious to see how it stacks up against pocket QBs who are fumbling largely as a result of strip sacks.

• sandiegosean likes this

#24 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:47 AM

It's the auto wrong (alleged auto correct). Does it to me all the damn time; phone thinks it knows what we meant better then us. 😮

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:58 AM

Join the club

#26 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 08:33 AM

This is a great piece. I think you're starting to see a shift in thinking somewhat.

I always hated that Lamar's running ability somehow was made into a negative argument for him as a QB. That's just flat out stupid. I love that the article points out the stupidity and clear bias towards pocket passers that pure passing stats take. Why is it that no one DOES include his rushing yards and TDs when talking about his production at QB? People place more importance on a Tom Brady 3 yard pass that Edleman/Welker turned into a 12 yard first down. Then they do Lamar scrambling for the same 12 yards and first down. In reality, Lamar's is more impressive because he did it all himself. But pundits and analytics give Brady all of the credit for Edleman/Welker's hard work.

As a pure pocket passer, Lamar is probably just outside of the top 10 of the league, if we're being honest. I'd say he's between 10 and 15 (closer to the top 10) if you're talking pure passing from the pocket. I know this is going to go right up the Flacco truthers butt, but I'd say it's fair to say Jackson is every bit as good as a pocket passer as Flacco was. And I loved Flacco. I think he was very good in his prime. But so is Lamar. We all know what makes Lamar special though. And that's his ability to make it a true 11 on 11 football game when we have the ball. He picks up 10 yards on the ground faster than anyone else in the league. He completely changes how a defense has to play, because of his legs. And for some reason, idiots try and make that a negative for him as a QB. Meanwhile, he just continues to dominate. All while having Hot Hands Brown, Willie Snead and Miles Boykin as his top receivers for the majority of his time in the league. And as good as Andrews has been, he too has had the dropsies at times with Jackson. I can only imagine what his numbers would look like if EDC somehow pulled off a trade for Hopkins before Arizona got him.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#27 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 01 October 2021 - 05:14 PM

If you think he's a 4.25 runner right now, he'll probably be a 4.35 or 4.4 guy at age 30, and a 4.4-4.5 guy at 35  So at 30 he'll be faster than every QB and about 90% of WRs and RBs currently playing, and at 35 he'll still be the fastest QB and in the top half of RBs and WRs.

IMO the biggest thing aside from an inability to break away for 40 yards is that he won't have his top speed available as frequently as he ages.  So instead of 10 designed runs a game, the Ravens might only opt for like 5 or so.  But if he's a 4.4 guy at 35, opposing defenses are still going to have to respect his scrambling, so he's never going to have to learn how to play a defense that doesn't mush-rush every play, but he's going to have to show he's still a winning qb when he can only break off 15 yard runs instead of 40 yard TD runs.

edit to add: this assumes he doesn't hurt his legs.  That obviously throws a wrench in everything.

#28 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 06:11 PM

It's always been totally asinine to me for the doubters to dismiss Lamar's rushing production as if it's not creating the same result as passing, arguably in a more impressive way. I was reading something the other day, I think from Steven Ruiz, about how the Ravens (and Lamar in particular) create explosive running plays at a similar or higher rate than most of the leagues explosive passing plays. He's one of one.

At this point, the only people trying to downplay Lamar's production on the field and the impact he has on the game are either trolling, pushing hot takes for a living, or generally clueless about football.

I appreciate how the writer presented all of the stats, though I do think if you're going to combine passing/rushing yards, you should probably combine INTs/fumbles as well. I'm not sure that Lamar's fumbles would put him too far ahead of any the other QBs in that category, but I'd be curious to see how it stacks up against pocket QBs who are fumbling largely as a result of strip sacks.

All I need to know about Lamar's running is this. The Steelers have 960 yards of total offense. 159 rushing, 801 passing. Lamar has 1012 total yards by himself.  251 rushing, 761 passing. I'll take our running qb all day. 

• Mike B and Bmore Irish like this

#29 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:01 PM

All I need to know about Lamar's running is this. The Steelers have 960 yards of total offense. 159 rushing, 801 passing. Lamar has 1012 total yards by himself.  251 rushing, 761 passing. I'll take our running qb all day. 

Exactly.  There's not a single quarterback in the league that haunts defensive coordinators like Lamar Jackson.  If he could ever get his receivers to consistently catch the damn football, it would be a nightmare of Exorcist proportions to defend.  He's revolutionized the position but there's no one with his speed.  Scrambling, running quarterbacks, sure.  But there's still only one that can go to the house from anywhere on the field with a ball in his hands. 

• Mike B likes this

#30 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2021 - 08:25 AM

Perfectly said.  The man plain and simple is a terrific player.

@mikeghg

#31 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:19 PM

I've said / admitted it before, but Lamar's first year performance didn't leave me thinking he'd last long or be very effective. Mechanics were not great, he took a lot of big hard hits, and if I recall didn't appear in any games (or maybe just one or two) that he didn't spend at least a few plays being evaluated for an injury. I know they won a lot with him, but I figured year two of film and DCs would kill him by selling out to take out his run game.

What he did between year one and year two to improve his mechanics (not perfect all the time, but better), his footwork when throwing, his self preservation and instinct to avoid the big and awkward hits/tackles... Absolutely fantastic and it showed in year two. He proved it. He proved my doubts wrong. He isn't a "make every throw" QB but not many are, and some of those are training camp wonders who kill their team with turnovers against a hostile opponent on Sundays. :) He's a multi threat that can absolutely win games from the pocket with his arm too.

Now, there WILL come a point where he loses a step or two. If he was still all run and erratic like his rookie year, I'd say that's where he'd hit the wall fast. But now he's shown that he can read defenses better and make a lot of throws. That's an NFL QB. At THAT point, the onus is on the Ravens front office to put an O line in front of him that can pass protect more. As we know, the current OL for various reasons is probably better at run block / mauling and doing just enough to give backs (or Lamar) a moment to hit a hole. They're not a "clean pocket for 4 or 5 seconds" outfit. He compensates for a lot of the pass pro weaknesses of their OL because of his athleticism. He can still be a winning QB later on when the speed starts to slip, provided they give him the right support on the line.
  • Mackus and bmore_ken like this

#32 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:10 PM

Lamar was already a great QB. But now he's showing that he's a complete QB. 

It's unfortunate that the running game isn't supporting him as much as we thought it would around, say, July. Because man...even with Gus leading the way, this offense would be unbelievable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=