#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:06 PM

https://deadspin.com...st-q-1847771814

Good article. I'm glad they called out the blatant racist undertones with which black QBs are spoken about.
  • The Epic and bmore_ken like this

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:10 PM

He revolutionized the position because of his legs so he'll probably never get his due respect as a passer.  It's just the way it is. 

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#5 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:36 PM

That's pretty amazing. I guess he doesn't pass the eye test for some people but those numbers don't lie. I too think his ability to run gives people the wrong impression about his passing ability and the scary part is he's only going to get better. He's already throwing the deep ball more accurately and with a tighter spiral this year than he ever has.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,771 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:40 PM

Others have mentioned this many times, but I think we'll soon all agree that the lack of offseason training in 2020 was a big negative for him in terms of remaining crisp and robotic with his mechanics.  Now that he's back to a regular training routine, and we know that he puts in the work, it appears his mechanics are back to being strong again like they were in 2019.  I'm expecting a big passing year from him in addition to the otherwordly stuff he can do running the ball.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:44 PM

People will still say he only an effective passer because he scrambles and only takes advantage of broken plays because of it. Those people don't watch Ravens games though.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#8 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:53 PM

People will still say he only an effective passer because he scrambles and only takes advantage of broken plays because of it. Those people don't watch Ravens games though.

But if that was the case...doesn't that make him look even better? Broken down plays with below-average targets?

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:35 PM

But if that was the case...doesn't that make him look even better? Broken down plays with below-average targets?

Their argument is he can't really pass but on broken plays, guys get open and he gets lucky. That the defense freezes because they think he'll run. Partially true, but just a ridiculous take overall. Meanwhile, it's much harder to throw on the run than with a 3 step drop, plant and throw, but haters gonna hate.

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:44 PM

Pretty incredible. 

Actually, the most credible thing deadspin has probably put out there. Are they like, real sports writers now? Or do they still write articles like "The Lions pissed their pants like 80-year old men with bladder control issues in loss to Ravens"

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 09:05 PM

Others have mentioned this many times, but I think we'll soon all agree that the lack of offseason training in 2020 was a big negative for him in terms of remaining crisp and robotic with his mechanics.  Now that he's back to a regular training routine, and we know that he puts in the work, it appears his mechanics are back to being strong again like they were in 2019.  I'm expecting a big passing year from him in addition to the otherwordly stuff he can do running the ball.

Preston was on Monday morning quarterback this week and claimed that Lamar working really hard in the off-season is a myth per his sources. Said he does some stuff but nothing out of the ordinary.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:14 PM

Preston was on Monday morning quarterback this week and claimed that Lamar working really hard in the off-season is a myth per his sources. Said he does some stuff but nothing out of the ordinary.

You have to consider the source when it comes to that guy.

#13 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 11:00 PM

To me that is a ridiculous statement.  Who cares how you take advantage of plays?  I think Raven's fans will remember how many times Roethlisberger made big plays to beat them, not from the pocket, but by pushing away the rush, extending the play, and completing the pass down field.  Both Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs said the toughest QB they faced was not Peyton, not Brady, but Roethlisberger because he could get away from the rush, extend the play and make it street football.  Jackson does the same thing, not with his strength, but with his elusiveness.  So who cares how the play is successful, just that it is. 

• Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 06:01 AM

I can buy that but then again I dont think most of these guys in the league do anything out of the ordinary.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 06:10 AM

To me that is a ridiculous statement. Who cares how you take advantage of plays? I think Raven's fans will remember how many times Roethlisberger made big plays to beat them, not from the pocket, but by pushing away the rush, extending the play, and completing the pass down field. Both Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs said the toughest QB they faced was not Peyton, not Brady, but Roethlisberger because he could get away from the rush, extend the play and make it street football. Jackson does the same thing, not with his strength, but with his elusiveness. So who cares how the play is successful, just that it is.

Exactly. Stop living in a box. If people can succeed being unconventional then let them do it. Havent read the article yet but obviously Lamar is good enough from the pocket. The people that make him sound like Johnny Manziel or Tim Tebow in the pocket are the idiots. That said, we know he's also not killing it from the pocket like Brees or Brady. The thing is it isnt just Lamar that makes extending plays or playing backyard football dangerous. Its what Rodgers and Rothlisberger did so well for so long. Anyone that can do that adds such an extra element to their game. Its something that should be praised and he does it better than anyone right now.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,771 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 06:47 AM

This has no bearing on my opinion (I'm dismissing Preston, not you, to be clear).

• bmore_ken likes this

#17 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 06:58 AM

Exactly. Stop living in a box. If people can succeed being unconventional then let them do it. Havent read the article yet but obviously Lamar is good enough from the pocket. The people that make him sound like Johnny Manziel or Tim Tebow in the pocket are the idiots. That said, we know he's also not killing it from the pocket like Brees or Brady. The thing is it isnt just Lamar that makes extending plays or playing backyard football dangerous. Its what Rodgers and Rothlisberger did so well for so long. Anyone that can do that adds such an extra element to their game. Its something that should be praised and he does it better than anyone right now.

Another thing people never seem to realize is that when a pocket has broken down and Lamar is moving around to either side, he can see the field a lot better and thus, find receivers easier.  If you're standing back there like a statue, and there's all those moving parts around you, it's a lot tougher which is why everyone's dream quarterback at one time was a guy standing 6'6". 

#18 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:10 AM

This has no bearing on my opinion (I'm dismissing Preston, not you, to be clear).

+1. I'm actually even more inclined to believe Lamar worked extra hard this offseason.

#19 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:16 AM

Preston is not exactly the most accurate or honest journalist out there, so yeah, take his observations with a grain of salt.

Recall going in to the 2012 season, Vinny C seemed to spend 5 minutes a day every day slamming Flacco for not working harder in the off-season, spending too much time with his wife and kids in NJ, etc. The year ended with Flacco holding up a Lombardi trophy.

We can hope for similar results this year... ;)
  • bmore_ken likes this

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:17 AM

They're point has been, he won't be able to those things in a "year or two" once his legs go like most "RB's". It's just jealousy. Lot of haters who wished they took him instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=