#21 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:48 AM

Correct.  And then wasn't Edsall ranked before going to FSU and losing 63-0?  Yeah, I'm talking about those early season games, where the fans have a bit of optimism, and then it's crushed mercilessly.

That Ohio State game was amazing though.  I often wonder how the program would be different if Pigrome converts the 2-point play.  The Terps would have went bowling.  Would Canada have been retained?  Would they still have moved to Locksley?  We'll never know.

I don't think Canada was getting that job even if they beat Ohio State and also won at Penn State the next week, I think they wanted a fresh start without keeping someone who got hired by Durkin and also Locksley's recruiting track record was hard to argue against 

• Mike B and ShoNuff07 like this

she/her

#22 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:47 AM

Just a few changes to the depth chart this week:

• Greg Rose has been upgraded to a co-starter at DT with Mosiah Nasili-Kite.
  • Ahmad McCullough is now listed as the backup to Ruben Hyppolite II at MIKE, replacing Osita Smith.
  • Gereme Spraggins has been downgraded to backup at WILL after being listed as a co-starter with Branden Jennings last week. This is good news after Jennings suffered a lower-body injury that knocked him out of last week's game.
  • After John Berard's injury, Jake Foggia and Ethan Gough are now listed as co-starters at LS. Gough started last week's game.

@BSLZackKiesel

#23 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:36 PM

Anyone feel like losing by 2 TDs or less feels like a victory here?

• ShoNuff07 likes this

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:07 PM

Anyone feel like losing by 2 TDs or less feels like a victory here?

I think anything short of a win will feel like a loss. Doesn't mean I think they will win, or that a close loss means they've taken a step backwards; but I do think the time has come where they need to win a game like this.

I understand the skepticism; they have typically crapped their pants in this situation for more than a decade going. I mean no disrespect to Iowa, but I really don't think they are a true Top 5 team. So if the Terps are going to make a statement that they should be taken seriously, then beating a team that is at least Top 5 in name is as good an opportunity as they could hope for.

#25 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:08 PM

I think anything short of a win will feel like a loss. Doesn't mean I think they will win, or that a close loss means they've taken a step backwards; but I do think the time has come where they need to win a game like this.

I understand the skepticism; they have typically crapped their pants in this situation for more than a decade going. I mean no disrespect to Iowa, but I really don't think they are a true Top 5 team. So if the Terps are going to make a statement that they should be taken seriously, then beating a team that is at least Top 5 in name is as good an opportunity as they could hope for.

I don't think anyone outside of Bama and UGA really seems like a true top five team at this point lol 

• ShoNuff07 likes this

she/her

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:13 PM

I don't think anyone outside of Bama and UGA really seems like a true top five team at this point lol 

I agree. Usually you have three tiers among the best teams in the country. The elites, the almost-elites, and the rest. I don't think anyone fits that middle category right now.

• ShoNuff07 likes this

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:29 PM

Just a few changes to the depth chart this week:

• Greg Rose has been upgraded to a co-starter at DT with Mosiah Nasili-Kite.
  • Ahmad McCullough is now listed as the backup to Ruben Hyppolite II at MIKE, replacing Osita Smith.
  • Gereme Spraggins has been downgraded to backup at WILL after being listed as a co-starter with Branden Jennings last week. This is good news after Jennings suffered a lower-body injury that knocked him out of last week's game.
  • After John Berard's injury, Jake Foggia and Ethan Gough are now listed as co-starters at LS. Gough started last week's game.

Jennings will be a game-time decision, but no structural damage to his leg.

• BSLZackKiesel and ShoNuff07 like this

#28 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:05 PM

For those of us who’ll be in attendance for this one, UMD pushed up the opening of tailgate lots from 4:00 to 3:00 after being called out by Scott Van Pelt lol
  • ShoNuff07 and BSLRoseKatz like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#29 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 September 2021 - 10:03 AM

For those of us who’ll be in attendance for this one, UMD pushed up the opening of tailgate lots from 4:00 to 3:00 after being called out by Scott Van Pelt lol

Bullying works!

• BSLZackKiesel and ShoNuff07 like this

she/her

#30 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:05 PM

Among the best laughs I've had online in quite awhile. :P

For the record, I understood your point, just got a big kick out of that first part. :)

• You Play to Win the Game and ShoNuff07 like this

#31 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:40 PM

BSL: 5 Thoughts Before Maryland/Iowa

https://baltimorespo...-maryland-iowa/

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#32 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 September 2021 - 11:15 AM

Jennings will be a game-time decision, but no structural damage to his leg.

Locksley announces that Jennings won't play in this game. Fairly significant loss, but expect a lot of Gereme Spraggins and Ahmad McCullough in his place.

@BSLZackKiesel

#33 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 September 2021 - 01:31 PM

Locksley announces that Jennings won't play in this game. Fairly significant loss, but expect a lot of Gereme Spraggins and Ahmad McCullough in his place.

When I saw the injury on TV, It looked like a year ender.  Glad that is not the case.

@mikeghg

#34 BSLMikePopovec

BSLMikePopovec

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:52 AM

BSL: Recapping Kent State, and Previewing Iowa

https://baltimorespo...reviewing-iowa/

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas and BSLZackKiesel like this

#35 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:31 AM

The more I think about this game the more weird I feel trying to assess its importance.

Like obviously a top 5 opponent on primetime is a big deal but beating Iowa isn't really the measuring stick for this program, it's the OSU/PSU/Michigan trio. If they win tonight but lose to all 3 of those by 14+ points, how much progress is that for the program? But also if they lose tonight and then beat PSU back-to-back years, who could possibly care about a Big Ten West team Maryland doesn't really compete with for recruits.  

she/her

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 11:31 AM

The more I think about this game the more weird I feel trying to assess its importance.

Like obviously a top 5 opponent on primetime is a big deal but beating Iowa isn't really the measuring stick for this program, it's the OSU/PSU/Michigan trio. If they win tonight but lose to all 3 of those by 14+ points, how much progress is that for the program? But also if they lose tonight and then beat PSU back-to-back years, who could possibly care about a Big Ten West team Maryland doesn't really compete with for recruits.  

I think this game is more important as far as public perception versus an honest measuring stick of progress. Winning will help convince a skeptical public they may finally have turned a corner. But long term, competing with the East powers is the primary goal.

• Greg Pappas, ShoNuff07 and BSLRoseKatz like this

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 05:13 PM

That sucks, Jennings has been really strong.

#38 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:26 PM

Branch killing us.

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:34 PM

Good start.

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:37 PM

Let's go!!!!! Way to bounce back after the INT. Great drive. Iowa struggling with the offensive weapons Maryland has. The OLine is holding up.

It's 7-3 Terps with 3:37 to go in the 1st.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=