• Please log in to reply
676 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:44 AM

Arrowhead Pride: Film review: Patrick Mahomes begins the season with an MVP-level performance

https://www.arrowhea...-against-browns

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:58 AM

The hits just keep on coming.  

NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens are "preparing" to be without LT Ronnie Stanley (ankle) in Week 2 against the Chiefs.

Veteran free agent pickup Ali Villanueva, who struggled immensely in Week 1, will slide to left tackle with backup Patrick Makari stepping in on the right side of the line; this after LG Tyre Phillips was moved to injured reserve mid-week. Baltimore already struggled to protect Lamar Jackson on Monday night, permitting the league's seventh-highest rate pressure rate while allotting three sacks on as many blitzes. With Chiefs DE Frank Clark practicing in full ahead of Week 2, the Ravens clearly need to make adjustments quickly or watch their season sink down the drain.

https://www.nbcsport.../ronnie-stanley

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:39 PM

It’s up to Lamar Jackson and the coaching staff to figure this out. If run blocking is the strength, and it means 60 rushes a game, so be it. If it means Lamar’s internal scramble clock has to be 1.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds, so be it. If they can’t block long enough to give Lamar a pocket, then there needs to be more bootlegs, plays that move the pocket.

Mahomes I believe is playing behind 5 O-lineman who have never played together before. Zeus Jr sucked Sunday. Wanna say 2 rookies in there too. Steelers have two rookies on their O-Line, I think all new faces as well. You just have to adjust.

If Cleveland is an all-world run blocker…maybe the Ravens forgot where they butter their bread…he should probably be starting.

Not sure if anyone saw the gif on the Hollywood jet sweep. Stanley and Powers both ran pulling assignments to the right, zeitler and AV we’re pulling left. They blocked each other like something out of the three stooges. They either don’t know the playbook, or is it too complicated for new guys to get right away?

Just fix it. When they lost Joe Flacco they had to install a whole new offense, and they went 7-1 replacing the most important piece of the offense in a bye week. If you can do that, why can’t you scheme around a weakness on the line?
  • DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:56 PM

Woof! Looks like it’ll be another early night for me.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:59 PM

I'm predicting a 45-23 loss. That might actually be closer than reality.

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,563 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 01:03 PM

At least we won't go into this game thinking this will be the year that we can finally beat KC....

It'll make accepting the beat down that much easier.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:39 PM

I am still looking forward to going to the game.  We are definitely running up hill in this one.  

Let's try to get through the first few weeks without another damn injury and see if we can re-group.

@mikeghg

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:54 PM

Im tired of everyone shitting their pants whenever KC is around. Grow some balls. They arent that damn good. Youd think we were playing the '07 Pats. Geez.

#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,563 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:56 PM

Im tired of everyone shitting their pants whenever KC is around. Grow some balls. They arent that damn good. Youd think we were playing the '07 Pats. Geez.

Would feel much better with a healthy Stanley, Dobbins, Edwards, Peters.....

The bandaids in their place doesn't instill much confidence.

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:58 PM

You say that, and yeah its technically true, but even with those guys there would still be a lot of crap in a lot of peoples pants

#11 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,563 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:59 PM

You say that, and yeah its technically true, but even with those guys there would still be a lot of crap in a lot of peoples pants

Yeah, KC would probably still stomp us in the mud, but I'd feel better about our chances.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:33 PM

Bateman, Boyle, Boykin, Phillips, Fort, Wolfe etc.....No team has enough depth to not feel this.

@mikeghg

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,563 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:42 PM

Bateman, Boyle, Boykin, Phillips, Fort, Wolfe etc.....No team has enough depth to not feel this.

Yup, might as well punt this one.... hope you can take care against some of the lesser opponents, and hope to get somewhat healthy by mid-season to make a run.

#14 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:05 PM

Yup, might as well punt this one.... hope you can take care against some of the lesser opponents, and hope to get somewhat healthy by mid-season to make a run.

Their schedule is brutal. Even if they were fully healthy this might be a 10-11 win team. With the injuries they've suffered I think there's a good chance they're the last team into the playoffs, if they make it at all.

#15 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:11 PM

It’s up to Lamar Jackson and the coaching staff to figure this out. If run blocking is the strength, and it means 60 rushes a game, so be it. If it means Lamar’s internal scramble clock has to be 1.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds, so be it. If they can’t block long enough to give Lamar a pocket, then there needs to be more bootlegs, plays that move the pocket.

Mahomes I believe is playing behind 5 O-lineman who have never played together before. Zeus Jr sucked Sunday. Wanna say 2 rookies in there too. Steelers have two rookies on their O-Line, I think all new faces as well. You just have to adjust.

If Cleveland is an all-world run blocker…maybe the Ravens forgot where they butter their bread…he should probably be starting.

Not sure if anyone saw the gif on the Hollywood jet sweep. Stanley and Powers both ran pulling assignments to the right, zeitler and AV we’re pulling left. They blocked each other like something out of the three stooges. They either don’t know the playbook, or is it too complicated for new guys to get right away?

Just fix it. When they lost Joe Flacco they had to install a whole new offense, and they went 7-1 replacing the most important piece of the offense in a bye week. If you can do that, why can’t you scheme around a weakness on the line?

I know you were saying that in jest but 40-50 carries really is they're only chance in my opinion.  They're not all going to be chain moving runs but it will speed the game up and keep Mahomes on the side line.  Instead of losing 44-17, maybe it would be 24-17.  A loss is a loss but at this point, they do need some motivation to keep going after they fall to 0-2.  You mentioned Ben Cleveland...he won't see any action because that's how Harbaugh rolls with rookies that aren't 1st round draft picks.  It's a shame because at least he's healthy and IS a power run blocker.  I hope we do see him sooner than later.  If anyone else gets hurt, Harbaugh might not have any choice. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#16 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,563 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:19 PM

Too bad Cleveland is relegated to IOL... I think we're OK there with Zietler, Bozeman, and Powers. Apparently AV graded out OK in run blocking. Maybe we can find a way to not be totally embarrassed if we go back to the 2019 offense.

#17 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,563 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:19 PM

Their schedule is brutal. Even if they were fully healthy this might be a 10-11 win team. With the injuries they've suffered I think there's a good chance they're the last team into the playoffs, if they make it at all.

I'd say, considering everything that has gone wrong over the last month or so, if they can sneak in at all this season it would be a major accomplishment.

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:31 PM

I know you were saying that in jest but 40-50 carries really is they're only chance in my opinion.  They're not all going to be chain moving runs but it will speed the game up and keep Mahomes on the side line.  Instead of losing 44-17, maybe it would be 24-17.  A loss is a loss but at this point, they do need some motivation to keep going after they fall to 0-2.  You mentioned Ben Cleveland...he won't see any action because that's how Harbaugh rolls with rookies that aren't 1st round draft picks.  It's a shame because at least he's healthy and IS a power run blocker.  I hope we do see him sooner than later.  If anyone else gets hurt, Harbaugh might not have any choice. 

That's how you should plan to beat elite QBs. They can't score sitting on the bench. Have to have long drives, finish them in TDs, keep your defense fresh. Have this be the kind of game where you limit KC to only 8 drives, 9 max. You have some fast three and outs and let them have the ball 12-13 times, thats too many times to ask your defense to stop them. The less drives, the higher chance this could be a close game late, maybe you have the ball last and control the outcome. The more drives, the more likely things normalize and a guy like Mahomes will end up getting his while the litany of injuries on our side becomes exposed, on both sides of the ball.

@BSLMikeRandall

#19 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:04 PM

That's how you should plan to beat elite QBs. They can't score sitting on the bench. Have to have long drives, finish them in TDs, keep your defense fresh. Have this be the kind of game where you limit KC to only 8 drives, 9 max. You have some fast three and outs and let them have the ball 12-13 times, thats too many times to ask your defense to stop them. The less drives, the higher chance this could be a close game late, maybe you have the ball last and control the outcome. The more drives, the more likely things normalize and a guy like Mahomes will end up getting his while the litany of injuries on our side becomes exposed, on both sides of the ball.

Unfortunately, you're preaching to the choir.  Roman still hasn't grasped the concept after losing the past three years to Mahomes. 

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:21 PM

Unfortunately, you're preaching to the choir.  Roman still hasn't grasped the concept after losing the past three years to Mahomes. 

I fully expect Ty'Son Williams to have a great first half, and then take a back seat to Devonta Freeman who'll average 2.0 Y/A in the second half. Game could be well past over by the second half anyway though. 

If I'm being overly negative, It's only cause I would rather not have any hopes, and then I can be surprised, rather than be let down. 

@BSLMikeRandall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=