88 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:51 AM

I think it's funny when people write Harbaugh asked Lamar. Is Lamar ever going to say no in that situation?  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

It's like asking my son if he wants a peanut butter M&M.

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike B and bmore_ken like this

#62 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:17 PM

I think it's funny when people write Harbaugh asked Lamar. Is Lamar ever going to say no in that situation?  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

No, but he is relaying trust to Lamar.  Harbs does nothing without a reason.

As for Lamar, he competes on a level that a former Raven used too.  Ray Lewis was a ferocious competitor.  Lamar is in the same mold.

@mikeghg

#63 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:16 PM

No, but he is relaying trust to Lamar.  Harbs does nothing without a reason.

As for Lamar, he competes on a level that a former Raven used too.  Ray Lewis was a ferocious competitor.  Lamar is in the same mold.

I'm pretty sure Jackson knows how much trust Harbaugh has in him by now. 

#64 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 21 September 2021 - 04:14 PM

I think it's funny when people write Harbaugh asked Lamar. Is Lamar ever going to say no in that situation? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Whether it's theater, passing ownership or whatever else anyone wants to call it, it's impact may carry forward as it did in 2019. Before that Seattle game and - yes - Harbaugh's decision to go for it, the team was struggling. Afterwards they ruled the league. That was kind of my point.
Anyway I'm glad you found my post funny, I like making people smile. 😀

#65 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 06:46 PM

I didn't buy into the narrative that Harbuagh was asking Jackson whether they should go for it when it happened or after.  Everyone knew they had to go for it there and no way was Lamar Jackson or any QB going to say no, punt it instead.  Theatrics, rhetorical, whatever.  The decision was already made.

Harbaugh didn't get where he is by being an idiot.  He saw what the rest of us saw.  For the past three hours his defense was getting carved up worse than my Thanksgiving turkey.  This was a game between what today after two full weeks of football are the two worst defenses in the league.  The only defense worse than his #31 ranked defense was the defense on the other side of the field.  That made it a no-brainer.  Any choice other than going for it was most likely going to lead to a last second defeat.  Just last week he watched Derek Carr slice up the D in 37 seconds with no time outs to get a game tying FG.  Now the choice would be to punt the ball back to Patrick Mahomes with about 1 minute left.  No way that ends well.  

I'm probably the person who dislikes the analytics and going for it all the time more than anyone around here and even I knew the only smart choice was to go for it there.  He would have been crucified in the press and on the talk shows if he hadn't and KC had won.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#66 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:27 PM

I'm sticking with 14-3! But thinking about upping it to 15-2 ;)

I knew I should have upped it! 

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:50 PM

It just feels like a "everything that could go wrong, will," year.

8-9.

Welp if Lamar gets hurt you could still be right. Thats the only way

#68 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:31 PM

It just feels like a "everything that could go wrong, will," year.

8-9.

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

#69 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 05:25 PM

Boy, this thread should make for interesting reading now that the last down has been played.

#70 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 06:02 PM

Boy, this thread should make for interesting reading now that the last down has been played.

Not really unless you predicted Lamar's injury

#71 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 06:20 PM

Not really unless you predicted Lamar's injury

Sounds like revisionist history to me.

#72 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 06:21 PM

Look at me look at me. I need attention guys.
  • NewMarketSean, Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#73 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 06:26 PM

Look at me look at me. I need attention guus.

I mean, I'm confused. You take a victory lap every time I predict something incorrect. Was I right?

#74 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 10:01 PM

You nailed it.  You had 8-9 and that's what they finished.

I read my prediction again.  I had 10-7, 11-6 and honestly with a couple of better coaching decisions in the 6 game losing streak maybe they at least get to 10 wins.  But I think I nailed two things right.  1) I said those who were saying anyone at RB can be successful in this system and can run behind the Ravens offensive line were wrong.  I said those guys were not on any team for a reason and I think they proved that.  2) I had no belief in the Oline from the beginning and it ended up being terrible.  Even if Ronnie Stanley could have remained healthy, I don't think this line was going to be anything better than mediocre.  Teams didn't figure out that constantly pressuring and harassing Lamar Jackson would make him look very average.  That will happen to any QB.  What they figured out midway through the season was that the Raven's Oline sucked and that they could constantly get to Jackson and give him no time to throw or run.  

Personally I think the biggest thing the Ravens need to do is fix the Oline.  Jackson has proven that with time, he can make things happen.  With no time to survey the field and make a decision, he is going to fail.  Obviously getting NFL quality RBs back will help.  But the Oline still needs to be fixed.  Jackson can be a QB that can go and win you a game if needed, but not if he has to play behind this offensive line.  Defense needs some work, but Oline needs more, imo.  

#75 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:00 AM

You nailed it. You had 8-9 and that's what they finished.

I read my prediction again. I had 10-7, 11-6 and honestly with a couple of better coaching decisions in the 6 game losing streak maybe they at least get to 10 wins. But I think I nailed two things right. 1) I said those who were saying anyone at RB can be successful in this system and can run behind the Ravens offensive line were wrong. I said those guys were not on any team for a reason and I think they proved that. 2) I had no belief in the Oline from the beginning and it ended up being terrible. Even if Ronnie Stanley could have remained healthy, I don't think this line was going to be anything better than mediocre. Teams didn't figure out that constantly pressuring and harassing Lamar Jackson would make him look very average. That will happen to any QB. What they figured out midway through the season was that the Raven's Oline sucked and that they could constantly get to Jackson and give him no time to throw or run.

Personally I think the biggest thing the Ravens need to do is fix the Oline. Jackson has proven that with time, he can make things happen. With no time to survey the field and make a decision, he is going to fail. Obviously getting NFL quality RBs back will help. But the Oline still needs to be fixed. Jackson can be a QB that can go and win you a game if needed, but not if he has to play behind this offensive line. Defense needs some work, but Oline needs more, imo.

I can't really argue with any of that. I think you're correct.

#76 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 January 2022 - 04:10 AM

I said 11-6, but I accurately predicted the problems we had in the secondary.

I will say that we were still 3rd in the league rushing the ball. With a terrible offensive line and missing RBs 1-3 on our preseason depth chart. It was clearly less impactful than it could have been with our starters, but we weren't a bad running team.

That aside, I think our season was mostly lost at the hands of our secondary. We weren't good even with Humphrey, but once he went down we were downright awful. I've been praying for a new free safety all year. I hope the draft delivers.

#77 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 09:24 AM

I said 11-6, but I accurately predicted the problems we had in the secondary.

I will say that we were still 3rd in the league rushing the ball. With a terrible offensive line and missing RBs 1-3 on our preseason depth chart. It was clearly less impactful than it could have been with our starters, but we weren't a bad running team.

That aside, I think our season was mostly lost at the hands of our secondary. We weren't good even with Humphrey, but once he went down we were downright awful. I've been praying for a new free safety all year. I hope the draft delivers.

With as safety rich as this class is supposed to be, it would be a significant failure if they didn't find one.

#78 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 10:41 AM

Sounds like revisionist history to me.

It's not revisionists history. It's a different team without Lamar. If most people predicting knew we would be without him for 4 games. the predictions would have been vastly different. 

#79 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:06 PM

It's not revisionists history. It's a different team without Lamar. If most people predicting knew we would be without him for 4 games. the predictions would have been vastly different.

To be fair, he said it felt like an "everything could go wrong" year. Reading between the lines, I would imagine losing Lamar would fit into everything going wrong.

#80 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:10 PM

Injuries were just too much to overcome. Still played hard and battled when they could have thrown in the towel.

Get healthy, have a good offseason, and come back next year ready to take advantage of a last place schedule.

• bmore_ken likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=