#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 September 2021 - 12:53 PM

I was depressed over yesterday's injuries.  

I think our RB group will be okay in time ( a few weeks), and while AA and Jimmy are not Peters, they are not bad, and will do the job.

Maybe I am being optimistic, but I will go with 11-6, maybe a game better.

@mikeghg

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 12:59 PM

I'm being optimistic that he takes the Brady approach.

Helped that Brady's wife made more than him.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:17 PM

Brady didn't really take the Brady approach until he was well into his 30s.  Plus he's married to a billionaire or whatever she's worth.

Would be nice for the Ravens if he took that approach, but I wouldn't expect anything less than Allen.  Frankly it's pretty nice of him to be playing this season at all without a new contract, so I don't think we can ask much more of him.  The smart business decision would've been to hold out.

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:19 PM

Record really doesn't matter aside from getting into the playoffs.  Especially now that there is only one bye.  Just get in the dance, and see where we can go from there.

The injuries certainly have backed my expectations and mindset down from a Super Bowl or bust approach (or more accurately, Championship Game or bust).  I think this season can be successful even if we fall short of that, which is different than how I felt last season or how I would've felt about this season if we didn't have any major injuries in preseason.

#25 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:41 PM

It just feels like a "everything that could go wrong, will," year.

8-9.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#26 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:53 PM

Good luck with that.

#27 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 September 2021 - 03:55 PM

It just feels like a "everything that could go wrong, will," year.

8-9.

I thought that was last year, to be honest.

#28 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 04:15 PM

Helped that Brady's wife made more than him.

I'm stuck in the denial stage...

Whatever, if he puts up another big season and brings the team to the playoffs without his top 3 RB's, he deserves it.

#29 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 04:16 PM

I thought that was last year, to be honest.

Last year was wild, COVID game, monsoon game, Buffalo weather playoff game. Stanely and Boyle both hurt (Tavon, too). 

I'd argue we aren't worse off than that yet...and not even close, honestly. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#30 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 04:33 PM

Last year was wild, COVID game, monsoon game, Buffalo weather playoff game. Stanely and Boyle both hurt (Tavon, too).

We are not worse than that, but we haven't even played an actual snap yet. We have not seen the last season ending injury this year, and there likely will be several more.

#31 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 04:55 PM

Record really doesn't matter aside from getting into the playoffs.  Especially now that there is only one bye.  Just get in the dance, and see where we can go from there.

The injuries certainly have backed my expectations and mindset down from a Super Bowl or bust approach (or more accurately, Championship Game or bust).  I think this season can be successful even if we fall short of that, which is different than how I felt last season or how I would've felt about this season if we didn't have any major injuries in preseason.

Have to agree and for those of you out there that will want Harbaugh canned at the end of the season, forget it.  He gets a pass this year with all the injuries. 

#32 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:20 PM

I agree. 

#33 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:38 PM

We are not worse than that, but we haven't even played an actual snap yet. We have not seen the last season ending injury this year, and there likely will be several more.

We had two last year! Haha...and we've had more than this year and we're due for SEVERAL MORE! Seems logical! 

#34 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:48 PM

After the initial bout of pessimism over the key injuries over the last two weeks, I've regained some hope. If the (alleged) improvements to the passing game pan out, and Young and Smith play even just most of the games, this team could still win 10 games. So, 10-7 is the call, and hoping for 11.
  • JordanKough likes this

#35 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 07:10 PM

Have to agree and for those of you out there that will want Harbaugh canned at the end of the season, forget it.  He gets a pass this year with all the injuries. 

Situations  like this is where Harbaugh earns his value as one of the game's best coaches.  I don't always  care for his in-game management or play calling, but there are few other coaches I would want leading the team in a crisis such as this.  They will be prepared with no excuses.  

• jamesdean, St.Steveg and JStruds like this

#36 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:07 PM

We had two last year! Haha...and we've had more than this year and we're due for SEVERAL MORE! Seems logical!

Do you disagree that most teams lose at least a few players for the year as the season progresses? Do we really need to go back and look at data? We totally can.

#37 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:47 PM

12-5, being optimistic
@DaKittenz

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 07:31 AM

Do you disagree that most teams lose at least a few players for the year as the season progresses? Do we really need to go back and look at data? We totally can.

I disagree that most teams lose several (or even a few) starters throughout the season to major, season-ending injuries.  We had 3 last year (Young, Stanley, Boyle).  It happens to some team every year, but not most.  There are probably additional less-severe injuries to guys deeper on the roster than end up being effective season-enders because if it's not a top end play often it's better to IR the guy and find someone else than to play short-handed 3 or 6 weeks while the player heals.

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 09:24 AM

Just ACL tears, but the average is about 55 a year across the league, slightly more than half of which are during the season, the rest preseason.  So that would average out to just under 1 per team lost during the year as the season progresses to a torn ACL.  Obviously there are other types of season-ending injuries, like broken legs/ankles or torn achilles or certain muscle or ligament tears.  Concussions and MCL tears (included on this chart) aren't usually season-enders, unless you're very close to the end of the season.

https://www.nfl.com/...ata/injury-data

Would be interested if there is more detailed info available.  This was just the first thing I found. 

#40 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 10:42 AM

Just ACL tears, but the average is about 55 a year across the league, slightly more than half of which are during the season, the rest preseason. So that would average out to just under 1 per team lost during the year as the season progresses to a torn ACL. Obviously there are other types of season-ending injuries, like broken legs/ankles or torn achilles or certain muscle or ligament tears. Concussions and MCL tears (included on this chart) aren't usually season-enders, unless you're very close to the end of the season.

https://www.nfl.com/...ata/injury-data

Would be interested if there is more detailed info available. This was just the first thing I found.

You're starting to get into chaos theory territory. Injuries are random events that don't have a linear pattern, no matter how much anyone wants to try and prove the opposite. Especially non-contact injuries.
  • bmore_ken likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=