• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 04:45 PM

Which IMO is due in part to the football program which they keep pouring money into, which is why they can't move on from Turge and probably why the new basketball facility is on hold too.

But let's keep dreaming that one day we'll be a good football school. Lol. I just don't get it.

I mean making zero investment in football is one option. Basically throwing up the hands and saying, "We can't do this."

I prefer the option of systematically working to address what has limited you... facilities, keeping talent home...

And then when you've accomplished those steps, holding coaches accountable for onfield development and actually winning games.

#42 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 September 2021 - 04:47 PM

It's both.

To the extent that money has anything at all to do with Turgeon being around for the next few years goes right back to incompetence. If they wanted to move on from him, they could have found a way independent of any money they are spending on football. The reason they haven't is either:

1. They are satisfied with the results, despite all evidence indicating the program is capable of better.

2. They're afraid if they did move on they would mess up and hire someone who would just do worse.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 September 2021 - 04:52 PM

To the extent that money has anything at all to do with Turgeon being around for the next few years goes right back to incompetence. If they wanted to move on from him, they could have found a way independent of any money they are spending on football. The reason they haven't is either:

1. They are satisfied with the results, despite all evidence indicating the program is capable of better.
2. They're afraid if they did move on they would mess up and hire someone who would just do worse.

Sure, I can buy that.

So why do you think MD can be a football school again?

#44 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:01 PM

First of all, a Big Ten team with 8 or 9 wins isn't getting a lower tier bowl. They're getting a mid-upper tier game depending on who they've beaten.

And are you saying 8 or 9 wins aren't enough? I'd say doing that on a regular basis constitutes being a successful football program, and the fans would certainly start turning out in numbers large enough to fill the stadium.

If they were .500 in conference nearly every season and won 8 games thats fine for MD. Thats pretty much the high point of any realistic expectations. Never being in the mix for a B10 championship and going to relatively shitty bowls. If that does it for you then there is a real chance and more power to you for investing in that.

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:03 PM

If they were .500 in conference nearly every season and won 8 games thats fine for MD. Thats pretty much the high point of any realistic expectations. Never being in the mix for a B10 championship and going to relatively shitty bowls. If that does it for you then there is a real chance and more power to you for investing in that.

My hope would be getting to that point as the floor and every few years having a team capable of competing in the East.

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:05 PM

I will note that if they could knock off ranked teams with some regularity as part of those 4 win conference seasons it would make it more interesting.

#47 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:07 PM

Sure, I can buy that.

So why do you think MD can be a football school again?

I don't really get into the labeling of football and basketball school. I do agree MD has, and probably always will, a higher ceiling in basketball. Football-wise, being a team that consistently wins 6-8, and maybe every now and then 9-10 games a year is achievable if you (meaning the athletic department and school administration) are smart and committed to it.

To the point we were debating, I don't think that UM has to make compromises between one sport or the other. The reason Mark Turgeon is still coaching, and will be for the foreseeable future, is independent of any money they have spent on football facilities.

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:12 PM

I don't really get into the labeling of football and basketball school. I do agree MD has, and probably always will, a higher ceiling in basketball. Football-wise, being a team that consistently wins 6-8, and maybe every now and then 9-10 games a year is achievable if you (meaning the athletic department and school administration) are smart and committed to it.

To the point we were debating, I don't think that UM has to make compromises between one sport or the other. The reason Mark Turgeon is still coaching, and will be for the foreseeable future, is independent of any money they have spent on football facilities.

If that's your logic then you have to be consistent and at least concede Maryland doesn't have the commitment and intelligence to become a consistently good football school either. That was my point there.

But anyway, I'm a diehard and am legit pumped for the game tomorrow. I'd LOVE to hand WVU a season opener loss. Thinking about going.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 05:22 PM

If that's your logic then you have to be consistent and at least concede Maryland doesn't have the commitment and intelligence to become a consistently good football school either. That was my point there.

But anyway, I'm a diehard and am legit pumped for the game tomorrow. I'd LOVE to hand WVU a season opener loss. Thinking about going.

On that we agree, I think. Incompetence reigns supreme in the UM Athletics Dept. They haven't had an AD I felt good about since Dick Dull, who hired Bobby Ross and extended Lefty when other schools were after him. Unfortunately, just like Ross and Lefty, Dull was made the scapegoat for Len Bias dying of a coacine overdose. Unlike Ross and Lefty, Dull never really recovered career-wise...never doing better than AD at several lower division schools.

But I digress.

I feel pretty good about tomorrow. Hope you make it there, and bring home a winner.

#50 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:13 PM

If we’re out here labeling schools, Maryland is neither a basketball or football school. They’re a lacrosse school.
@BSLZackKiesel

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:36 PM

If we’re out here labeling schools, Maryland is neither a basketball or football school. They’re a lacrosse school.

With all of the lax success... does it generate any revenue?

#52 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:45 PM

With all of the lax success... does it generate any revenue?

Not at all, but if we’re basing it purely off of revenue generation then Maryland is undoubtedly a football school.

The only programs on campus who’ve really exhibited sustained success are both lacrosse teams, women’s basketball, men’s soccer, and field hockey.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#53 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:42 PM

Also speaking of Debbie Yow, I just read they’re honoring her at the game this weekend as part of a group of program “trailblazers”. So that’s…something.
@BSLZackKiesel

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:49 PM

Also speaking of Debbie Yow, I just read they’re honoring her at the game this weekend as part of a group of program “trailblazers”. So that’s…something.

Guessing Gary won't be doing the introduction.
  • BSLMikeLowe and BSLZackKiesel like this

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 09:29 PM

Well, she was the first female AD in the ACC, so I’d say that qualifies her as a “trailblazer.” But choosing to honor her at a football game is an interesting choice, given the reception she may receive. I’d suggest doing it prior to a “Competitive Cheer” competition.

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 05:48 AM

Balt Sun: Five things to watch heading into the 2021 Maryland football season

#57 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 September 2021 - 10:53 AM

Desmond Howard and Kirk Herbstreit pick Maryland to win this game on College Gameday, Lee Corso picks West Virginia.
@BSLZackKiesel

#58 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 September 2021 - 12:38 PM

Desmond Howard and Kirk Herbstreit pick Maryland to win this game on College Gameday, Lee Corso picks West Virginia.

Disappointed you didn't list the celebrity I've never heard of lol

she/her

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 02:26 PM

Bill Connelly, ESPN's SP+ guru, likes the Terps straight up by 3.5 in this one. (58% win prob.) Hate to bet with my heart, but since they're getting 3 from the sports books this might be the week to put some cash on the Terps.

https://twitter.com/...033839392198659

Never. :)

Although they do come out hot in recent week 1s
@BSLMikeRandall

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 02:32 PM

Let's go...

0 user(s) are reading this topic