#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 August 2021 - 03:15 PM

Maryland opens their 2021 season with a nationally televised rivalry matchup on Saturday afternoon. They haven't played the Mountaineers since 2015, but were supposed to face off against them in Morgantown last year before COVID-19 wrecked those plans. Unlike the typical offensive juggernaut West Virginia teams of old, this squad is built on their stellar defense.

They finished last season with a 6-4 (4-4) record in Neal Brown's second year as head coach, and beat Army in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. In the AP Preseason Poll they received some votes, essentially ranking them as the #41 team in the country.

2020 Rush Offense: 135.1 ypg (#92 in country)

2020 Pass Offense: 277.5 ypg (#28 in country)

2020 Rush Defense: 131.8 ypg (#28 in country)

2020 Pass Defense: 159.6 ypg (#1 in country)

BSL Game Preview: https://baltimorespo...-west-virginia/

Talking Terps Preview: https://anchor.fm/ta...sode-25-e16mhm4

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 August 2021 - 09:50 AM

Maryland has released their depth chart for this matchup.

E-H-Ea-TX0-Aogt-GY-format-jpg-name-large

A few notable items:

• Challen Faamatau is listed as the co-backup at RB with Isaiah Jacobs, not Peny Boone.
  • Freshman pass-rushers Demeioun Robinson and Zion Shockley aren't listed at all.
  • Deonte Banks has won the starting CB job across from Tarheeb Still.
  • Still is listed as a co-starter at nickel with Isaiah Hazel, so we could see him in the slot a bit more this season.
  • Brenden Segovia has been added to the co-starters at P, so we could see a three-headed punting monster.
  • John Berard has won the LS job.
  • Still will return punts, while Rakim Jarrett will return kickoffs.

@BSLZackKiesel

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 August 2021 - 01:22 PM

Maryland's captains for this game will be WR Brian Cobbs, WR Dontay Demus, Jr., and DL Sam Okuayinonu.

@BSLZackKiesel

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2021 - 01:31 PM

Bill Connelly, ESPN's SP+ guru, likes the Terps straight up by 3.5 in this one. (58% win prob.) Hate to bet with my heart, but since they're getting 3 from the sports books this might be the week to put some cash on the Terps.

https://twitter.com/...033839392198659

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 September 2021 - 02:18 PM

Maryland announces that over 11,000 student tickets have been claimed for this game. The first game of the year is typically well-attended by students, hopefully they have a reason to stay for the entire game and come back all year.
@BSLZackKiesel

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 02:19 PM

Maryland announces that over 11,000 student tickets have been claimed for this game. The first game of the year is typically well-attended by students, hopefully they have a reason to stay for the entire game and come back all year.

Any idea of how many tickets they've sold? 

I haven't seen MD do much of any advertising.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 September 2021 - 02:34 PM

Not sure, but should be well-attended. Real question is how many of those are WVU fans, they travel extremely well.
@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 03:17 PM

I would expect this game to be reasonably well attended, since it's been 2019 since MD fans could see a game in person, plus the likelihood of a large WV contingent. Of course the latest spike in COVID cases could be factor in some choosing to watch from the safety of home.

I'll be interested to see what attendance around the country is like, particularly with some places (like both schools here in Oregon) mandating both masks and proof of either vaccination or a negative test.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:38 AM

BSL: 5 Thoughts Before Maryland/West Virginia

https://baltimorespo...-west-virginia/

@BSLZackKiesel

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 September 2021 - 12:14 PM

ESPN's crew for this game will include Anish Shroff, Mike Golic, Jr., and Taylor McGregor.

Weather looks like it'll be perfect, 79 degrees and sunny in College Park.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 September 2021 - 01:25 PM

I am really looking forward to watching CFB this weekend!  Let's go Terps!

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 September 2021 - 04:21 PM

I’ll be out of town but I’ll be watching. Feel good about this one for some reason.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 September 2021 - 04:51 PM

Kind of a no-brainer analysis but it'd be encouraging if Taulia looked better to start the season compared to how he did vs Northwestern last year 

she/her

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:21 PM

Kind of a no-brainer analysis but it'd be encouraging if Taulia looked better to start the season compared to how he did vs Northwestern last year 

If last season is any indication, avoiding early mistakes is important for him. In the games where he did get off to poor starts, it only seemed to go progressively downhill for him.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:58 PM

Just checked their ticketing website and was kinda shocked at how many tickets are still available, especially in the lower bowl. Not sure how much of that is the team’s struggles and how much is COVID-19, but don’t be surprised to see a sparse crowd on Saturday. Student and visitor sections should be full, though.
@BSLZackKiesel

#16 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 September 2021 - 11:52 PM

Just checked their ticketing website and was kinda shocked at how many tickets are still available, especially in the lower bowl. Not sure how much of that is the team’s struggles and how much is COVID-19, but don’t be surprised to see a sparse crowd on Saturday. Student and visitor sections should be full, though.

I'm personally taking a wait and see approach with the team before I wanna go through the time/money of seeing a game and I'd imagine others are doing the same, it wouldn't be fun spending like 50-60 bucks on ticket/parking/concessions if they lose by 21 to a traditionally more successful program 

she/her

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:13 AM

I continue to think MD would be better off right now... giving away tickets...  to school kids (elementary, middle, high), first responders, alumni (what companies do your alum run? give their employees tickets), teachers, etc... and filling the stands vs. just throwing their hands up and saying, "Oh well, didn't sell." 

They have to build an atmosphere, and interest from the ground up.  

When they improve, and more people are buying as they will... you can step back from that.  But they've known for sometime they've had lots and lots of tickets available.  

In the tailgate lots... they should be thinking what can do each week there.... couple of ideas...

- Host BBQ challenges multiple times (different meats for different weeks) with some of the best Baltimore and DC BBQ joints...

- Bring in the Breweries...  there is probably +/- 60? in Baltimore and DC? 

(Could also do the distilleries.) 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:17 AM

Really anxious to see MD's O-line.  Talking about playing 8-9 guys, but as Zack mentioned in his preview... it's the biggest question by far. 

If that group can come together and be anywhere near average... there is enough skill position talent, and quality on the defense to imagine 7-8 wins.   

If the O-line loses the limited depth they have, and they can't block anyone... everything else could collapse, and you could see a 4-5 win team. 

Tomorrow feels like a big swing game in-terms of bowling and just getting a sense of where MD is. 

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 10:08 AM

Chris-

Agree that there is a lot UM can do to improve the game day experience, at least since I was ST holder, which admittedly has been quite a few years ago, so maybe they have. I hope they got that new scoreboard and sound system taken care of, because what they had before was high school caliber.

You do have to be careful with the ticket giveaways though. Giving them to charities occasionally is one thing, but when you open that up to just about anyone it can upset and disincentivize the people you have that currently are buying them.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 10:40 AM

Chris-

Agree that there is a lot UM can do to improve the game day experience, at least since I was ST holder, which admittedly has been quite a few years ago, so maybe they have. I hope they got that new scoreboard and sound system taken care of, because what they had before was high school caliber.

You do have to be careful with the ticket giveaways though. Giving them to charities occasionally is one thing, but when you open that up to just about anyone it can upset and disincentivize the people you have that currently are buying them.

My sense is that they have nobody that is currently incentivized to buy tickets. At least not enough.

They have people who are interested in MD Football.  People will tune into the game.  But not enough people motivated to buy tickets. 

Obviously being in the middle of two Cities who are geared towards professional sports; is difficult. 

If the program goes on an upswing with onfield performance, there will be people who buy tickets. 

I'm of the opinion that improving the atmosphere now, where you are building... and giving people the experience of coming to games now... will 1) Only increase your fanbase, 2) Help improve the onfield performance (... I don't think fans win games, even with influence on defense... but quality atmosphere can only make the players that much more excited, and maybe more importantly... recruits).

If you build up enough demand, and the product is good enough... you don't have to do things like this. 

When you do... they might as well be honest with themselves about where they are at, and figure out how to best utilize this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=