You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 October 2022 - 03:23 PM

https://blogs.fangra...d-a-gold-glove/

That's a fun read. What a total stud. It was a lot of fun to watch. 

#162 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 04:15 PM

I didn’t realize Bichette was possibly the worst SS in the league. Good to see, cause his bat sure was annoying.

#163 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 06:00 AM

He hits good.

So give him a Silver Slugger aware. :)

#164 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 06:01 AM

That was a nice article, thanks for posting.

Best fielder on the team and doesnt even get mentioned.

It all about the popularity, instead of what the award is supposed to be for.

#165 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 02:27 PM

Mateo wins the Fielding Bible award at SS.  Not as prestigious as a Gold Glove, but actually a much better reflection of a player's fielding ability.  And there aren't separate Fielding Bible awards for each league, so this an award for best defensive SS in MLB.

• mweb08, Mackus, Mashed Potatoes and 2 others like this

#166 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 11:41 PM

I'm not expecting it, but he's showed some improved plate discipline early and the speed/power plays. We know what he can do with the glove.

Having Jorge Mateo as your SS isn't the worst thing.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#167 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 03:08 PM

Mateo has a sore ankle. Been getting treatment last few days. But available tonight #orioles

#168 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:33 PM

Mateo's start has been good to see. Seems to have a little better eye and contact so far. Early though
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#169 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:38 PM

Takes ~60 plate appearances for strikeout rate to stabilize and 120 for walk rate, want to see how he looks at those points before getting too excited. But he's been great. Leads the team with 0.5 fWAR.

• makoman likes this

#170 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:48 PM

Every flash you get from him, even if just for a week, helps build confidence that he might be able to start doing it often enough to reach higher levels.

I don't think last year's offense is worst case for him, that would be last year minus the hot month, but last year was good enough to start on a good team. If he can build on that and have fewer (or lower) lows and more frequent highs, then he can become even more valuable.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#171 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 April 2023 - 10:05 AM

On-pace for 87 steals which might not be sustainable but if his OBP stays above .300...maybe

she/her

#172 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 08:40 PM

This is kinda nuts. 

Orioles Fan Ryan (formerly Probz)
@OriolesFanRyan
Jorge Mateo has put 547 balls in play since his MLB debut in August 2020. These are the hardest-hit by exit velocity:

112.4 MPH (Sat)
111.3 (5/30/2022)
111.0 (Sat)
111.0 (Sun)
110.8 (Wed)
109.6 (Thurs)
109.6 (8/1/2022)

5 of his 7 hardest-hit balls have come in his last 4 starts

9:17 PM · Apr 16, 2023

Orioles Fan Ryan (formerly Probz)
@OriolesFanRyan
Another way to put this, which makes it sound even crazier:

Of Jorge Mateo’s first 532 balls in play, 2 of them were hit harder than 109.5 MPH.

Of Jorge Mateo’s last 15 balls in play, 5 of them were hit harder than 109.5 MPH.

9:27 PM · Apr 16, 2023

https://twitter.com/...773696029802496

• dude likes this

#173 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 09:05 PM

Mateo still has flaws but IM comfortable saying he/ they have figured something out with the stick. Approach will never be great but its clearly better. Hitting balls harder when he makes contact. Making more contact. I said this offseason that he had more offensive upside vs downside compared to last year. Most disagreed. 

#174 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 April 2023 - 10:28 PM

He’s perfect low order hitter. Plays good D. Fast as hell. Can get hot in spurts.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#175 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 April 2023 - 06:05 AM

Mateo still has flaws but IM comfortable saying he/ they have figured something out with the stick. Approach will never be great but its clearly better. Hitting balls harder when he makes contact. Making more contact. I said this offseason that he had more offensive upside vs downside compared to last year. Most disagreed. 

Strikeout rate stabilizes at 60 PA, he has 53 and is sitting at 17% which puts him in the top 25% of the league. 70th percentile in chase rate, 56th in whiff rate. I was one that disagreed with your take and I'll happily eat crow, I'm starting to be a believer.

Seems like the hitting coaches having a full offseason + spring training is working wonders. Hays and Mullins also vastly improved at chasing bad pitches.

#176 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 April 2023 - 07:27 AM

I just like this guy. And so glad to see speed back as a major part of baseball.

• Mike B likes this

#177 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 April 2023 - 09:00 AM

I thought all last year, that there was more to Mateo that he was showing us at the plate.  The swing does not look all that different, but he is using more of the field this year.  I have said a couple of times, if he could hit .260 to .270 and get on base at a .330 clip, he could be one of the better players on the team.  The glove is real and the speed and base running is past elite.  

@mikeghg

#178 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 April 2023 - 09:03 AM

I just like this guy. And so glad to see speed back as a major part of baseball.

Nothing disrupts a game or a pitcher more than speed on the base paths.  Baseball got away from it, and like you I am glad it is back.

Mateo and Mullins, both are terrific on the base paths, and others make speed a big part of the Orioles offense.  

@mikeghg

#179 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 09:20 AM

Last year he had a 964 OPS from July 10-Aug 23, and ~540 OPS the rest of the season.  I think he only had one other week to ten-day type good stretch outside of that. 

So him doing it again for a few weeks this year, about half as long as his big hot streak from last season, is a really good sign, IMO.  Whether he can sustain the hot streaks longer, make them more frequent, or limit the depths of the lows remain to be seen, but any of those methods lead to him being a serviceable everyday regular and if he can really keep it up and approach a league average OPS, then he goes from serviceable to an actual weapon.

One thing to keep in mind for all player comparisons, is offense is up quite a bit this year from last season.  Leaguewide 732 OPS compared to 707.

• Mashed Potatoes and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#180 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 06:11 PM

Mateo has some real under the hood changes so far. Maybe he reverts back but it feels different. I also take some issue with calling him just "servicable" last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=