• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,679 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 11:50 AM

By early next year, Westburg will be the everyday 2nd baseman, and Henderson will be at 3rd.  

Could do worse than Mateo batting 9th. 

#22 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 11:57 AM

Disagree but perhaps its semantics.

Dumpster Dan did well with that aspect of things. The fallacy IMO is thinking that you can build a truly competitive team doing just dumpster diving. Its great for filing out a roster but I do not think it gives the team what it needs to get over the top. DD did only dumpster diving.

DD did trades, free agent signings, draft picks and dumpster diving.

Elias is drafting and dumpster driving, only, why?

Budget limits???????????

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,361 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 11:58 AM

Could do worse than Mateo batting 9th.

You can, but only barely.

According to Fangraphs Mateo has a 71 wRC+ this year, 73 for his career.  Only 11 guys in all of MLB (min 400 PA) were below 75 last season.  12 in 2019.  14 in 2018.

Gotta give him some bonus credit for baserunning, but unless his offense improves he'll be one of the absolutely worst regulars in MLB.  If he's playing very good defense at SS, then that's palatable.  If he's only average defensively (or worse), then ugh.

Please upgrade (or please get better, Mateo).

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#24 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 12:03 PM

According to Fangraphs Mateo has a 71 wRC+ this year, 73 for his career.  Only 11 guys in all of MLB (min 400 PA) were below 75 last season.  12 in 2019.  14 in 2018.

Unless his offense improves he'll be one of the absolutely worst regulars in MLB.  If he's playing very good defense at SS, then that's palatable.  If he's only average defensively (or worse), then ugh.

Hardy was only at 78 wRC+ in 2012 and 90 in 2014. Was still worth 2.4/3.0 fWAR.

71 isn't good enough, but Mateo could be adequate IF he's a very good defender at SS and IF he hits a little better. Hopefully we know by the end of the year if either of those IFs can happen.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,679 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 12:05 PM

Gotta give him some bonus credit for baserunning, but unless his offense improves he'll be one of the absolutely worst regulars in MLB.  If he's playing very good defense at SS, then that's palatable.  If he's only average defensively (or worse), then ugh.

Considering the other 8 spots will be making nothing of significance - sure, you can spend at SS if you'd like. 

Swanson will be available and certainly obtainable. 
Correa opting out wouldn't be shocking.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,361 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 12:10 PM

Hardy was only at 78 wRC+ in 2012 and 90 in 2014. Was still worth 2.4/3.0 fWAR.

71 isn't good enough, but Mateo could be adequate IF he's a very good defender at SS and IF he hits a little better. Hopefully we know by the end of the year if either of those IFs can happen.

Hardy did indeed play excellent defense at SS. Plus he had upside to be much better than that offensively, he was just very inconsistent year to be year. I don't think Mateo has any offensive upside, or at least he's never demonstrated it over any decent time. Like you said, maybe he can do so over the remainder of this season and give us a reasonable option.

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 12:28 PM

Mateo is in an interesting spot as of right now. If the defense slides just a bit and the offense doesnt improve its pretty easy to say we have to find someone else in '23. However, if the offense improves a bit and the defense remains very good its pretty easy to pencil him in for next year. Def a guy to keep a close eye on the rest of the year.

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 12:31 PM

Saying that the Os brass could go any direction here. They could give him more leash even if he struggles or they could look to upgrade even if he has a very good WAR season.

#29 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 03:24 PM

Get Corea :-)

I also think Prieto is the 2B of the future, not sold on Westburg yet…

Love an infield of Corea, Rutschman, Mountcastle, Henderson and Prieto!

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,679 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:23 PM

Huge play in the 9th.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,679 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 08:58 AM

Balt SunFor Orioles shortstop Jorge Mateo, remarkable has become routine: ‘Nobody else in baseball could make that play’

#32 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 09:13 AM

I like Mateo at SS, been too many SS over the years, not named Blade, Rip, or JJ, that had no business at that position.

#33 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 June 2022 - 09:22 AM

I like Mateo at SS, been too many SS over the years, not named Blade, Rip, or JJ, that had no business at that position.

Mateo has certainly grown on me as the year has gone on.  Not too many SS make the play he made last night.  I wish he could hit though.

Also add Miggy and Bordy to the list.

@mikeghg

#34 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 10:11 AM

Mateo has certainly grown on me as the year has gone on.  Not too many SS make the play he made last night.  I wish he could hit though.

Also add Miggy and Bordy to the list.

true, how could I forget those two.

still, remains true, is how many have played there, that shouldnt. :)

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 June 2022 - 10:48 AM

true, how could I forget those two.

still, remains true, is how many have played there, that shouldnt. :)

Too many, the curse of being bad.

@mikeghg

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 11:59 AM

.239/.308/.457 in July. Good to see. If he could get close to doing this for a year we would be cooking.

#37 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 01:43 PM

.239/.308/.457 in July. Good to see. If he could get close to doing this for a year we would be cooking.

Yeah that's a 111 wRC+ in July, better than all of JJ Hardy's O's years except his first. With elite defense that's a guy you can keep. Can't imagine that's him, but if he manages over 700 OPS the rest of the way maybe you give him a shot. I suppose it all depends on where they see Gunnar.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,361 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:48 PM

If he's 85-90 percent of average offensive production (pick your favorite league-adjusted stat) then he's a capable starter.  I don't think he exceeds 75-80 though.  I don't think we see Henderson this season so he'll get the remainder of the year to see if he can have a decent half season.

#39 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:58 PM

Pretty clear at this point he will have trade value if that is the route the Os decide to go. And not just a lottery ticket

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,361 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:59 PM

Not clear to me. If you can get anything you care about for him, pull the trigger. He's a utility guy at best, IMO. Very low odds of the bat ever coming around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=