No. Are you?

#82 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:47 PM

I'm not saying he couldn't have the same potential. I'm saying that it is far from a given.

Of course. But in the meantime I’m holding steady in my evaluation until we have more real information.

#83 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

Of course. But in the meantime I’m holding steady in my evaluation until we have more real information.

He hasn't played much baseball in almost 2 years, and has a bad heart.

You don't think those skills have eroded?

#84 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

No. Are you?

Not even close, but I am not the one making medical assumptions.

@mikeghg

#85 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:53 PM

He hasn't played much baseball in almost 2 years, and has a bad heart.

You don't think those skills have eroded?

“Has a bad heart” is a stretch. He played the shortened 2020 season, that was 16 months ago. I’m sure he’ll have to play some catch-up but he’s still just 22 years old. Maybe it takes him longer to reach it than expected which is the only thing I’m dinging him for for now. But no I don’t think he lost his skills.

#86 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:54 PM

Not even close, but I am not the one making medical assumptions.

Sure you are. Anyone who's assuming he's going to be a-ok is making medical assumptions.

#87 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:58 PM

“Has a bad heart” is a stretch. He played the shortened 2020 season, that was 16 months ago. I’m sure he’ll have to play some catch-up but he’s still just 22 years old. Maybe it takes him longer to reach it than expected which is the only thing I’m dinging him for for now. But no I don’t think he lost his skills.

I hope he works out. Genuinely I do.

I just have very, very, very little confidence.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#88 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 05:17 PM

Between *him* and Henderson.

Not that I know when Im doing but knowing you're a grammar nerd Id troll you all the time.

#89 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:03 PM

Who would you have rather they taken?

You asked this question so I want to answer it, but my answer has nothing to do with the comment you quoted from me.

We now know the name of the one unique player added as a function of punting the 2020 season. 

His name is Colton Cowser.  

...but the reality is that there wasn't going to be a name in this draft that was going to make throwing away a season justifiable.  When I say rebuilding is a Myth, this is exactly my point.  It's sold as some incredible process where you get all of this amazing Talent that justifies the losses over multiple seasons but we haven't added a single important Player to date as a function of rebuilding.  That doesn't mean Colton Cowser can't be good or even great, but he's hardly unique.  None of these guys are.  That's the point.

To answer the question, I'd have rather gone Lawler, Watson or Rocker.  I don't think any of them are that unique either, but I'd rather bet on their profiles in terms of adding something meaningful at some point in the future.  I was annoyed by House's interviews so he'd have dropped out of that group of 4 for me.

Given that we were likely drafting from the Davis, Cowser, Frelick, McLain group, I'd have preferred McLain to Cowser and Cowser to Frelick.  Davis would have been my preference in the group, but he's gone at 1-1 (who saw that coming?).

• Mike B likes this

#90 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 06:25 AM

Yeah, this isn't the NFL or NBA..... you aren't going to get that one guy who's going to drastically change the fortune of your franchise in a draft (or 2 or 3).

I'll be impressed with Elias when his international efforts start to produce or he's wildly successful finding under the radar guys like Miguel Gonzalez and Wei Yin Chen to help propel us to the next level.

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:22 AM

Balt Sun: From woodworking to hitting, Orioles No. 5 MLB draft pick Colton Cowser brings special hands and ‘enthusiasm to grind’

#92 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:39 AM

If he cuts his arm off with a band saw, I'll agree the franchise is cursed.

#93 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:12 AM

You asked this question so I want to answer it, but my answer has nothing to do with the comment you quoted from me.

We now know the name of the one unique player added as a function of punting the 2020 season. 

His name is Colton Cowser.  

...but the reality is that there wasn't going to be a name in this draft that was going to make throwing away a season justifiable.  When I say rebuilding is a Myth, this is exactly my point.  It's sold as some incredible process where you get all of this amazing Talent that justifies the losses over multiple seasons but we haven't added a single important Player to date as a function of rebuilding.  That doesn't mean Colton Cowser can't be good or even great, but he's hardly unique.  None of these guys are.  That's the point.

To answer the question, I'd have rather gone Lawler, Watson or Rocker.  I don't think any of them are that unique either, but I'd rather bet on their profiles in terms of adding something meaningful at some point in the future.  I was annoyed by House's interviews so he'd have dropped out of that group of 4 for me.

Given that we were likely drafting from the Davis, Cowser, Frelick, McLain group, I'd have preferred McLain to Cowser and Cowser to Frelick.  Davis would have been my preference in the group, but he's gone at 1-1 (who saw that coming?).

Thats fair. I don't think you have to lose 100 games, multiple times over, to one day be better. The two don't go hand in hand. I was shocked when I looked up that the Rays, the model you want to have if ownership doesn't spend money, picked in the top ten only one time since 2008. 

The way you worded your comment made it sound like you were sour on the pick. But I see it didn't matter who the pick was, it's the process. I don't like the process either.

@BSLMikeRandall

#94 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:39 AM

Losing sucks

I dont care how they fix the problem.

Just bloody fix the problem, stop playing lip service and do something.

end of rant

• Mike B likes this

#95 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 July 2021 - 04:03 PM

Supposedly very close to signing his contract.

@mikeghg

#96 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 05:55 PM

Elias has a plan, you amateurs are just too dumb to see it. Also important to note, the strong opinions and emotions I have are based in literally zero specific knowledge about these players.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@DaKittenz

#97 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:47 PM

O's social media says he's signed.

#98 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

O's social media says he's signed.

$4.9 million, about $1.2 million below slot.
  • Nigel Tufnel, dude and makoman like this

#99 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:57 PM

I expected it to be less than 1 mil in savings.. Maybe they arent going to spend all their draft money. That would raise more eyebrows.

#100 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:01 PM

I expected it to be less than 1 mil in savings.. Maybe they arent going to spend all their draft money. That would raise more eyebrows.

I still think they are. Most of the savings going to Trimble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=