#4 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:54 AM

Just saw, that's awful.  Hopefully she will be okay for the individual competition.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:28 AM

Damn that sucks.  By far the biggest draw for these Olympics.  Hope it's just a precaution.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:37 AM

CBS Sports: 2020 Tokyo Olympics women's gymnastics: U.S., without Simone Biles, takes silver, ROC wins gold in team final

https://www.cbssport...eam-final/live/

#7 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:14 AM

Apparently it isn't a physical injury and Biles is unsure if she will compete in the individual competition.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:20 AM

Apparently it isn't a physical injury and Biles is unsure if she will compete in the individual competition.

I struggle with this.  

I believe in people getting the mental help they need, and I know people have real anxiety and pressure issues. 

I've also been honest that I was previously in a very dark place, and I should have been smarter about seeking professional help. 

That said...  withdrawing at that stage in a team event, when you are physically healthy... feels crummy to me.  Your teammates were counting on you. Maybe your best effort wouldn't have been enough.  But I think you need to try there. 

I do give her kudos for going out and supporting her teammates after she withdrew. But you were the unquestioned leader. Being talked about as the GOAT.   She felt a lot of pressure because of that.... but tha'ts part of the deal right? 

It's the Olympics.  You are in GOAT conversation for your sport.  Of course there is going to be significant pressure. 

To argue against myself...   she realized she didn't have it today, and she allowed her teammates to try and pick her up, and she went out and supported them. I can respect that as well.

• DuffMan likes this

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:33 AM

I guess ultimately I feel bad for her.  All of that training leading to these brief opportunities... it has to be crippling. 

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:03 AM

I was saying last night that I hate that the media keeps referring to her as the GOAT right now. She’s still competing. That’s something that should be done in hindsight after competition is done. She’s fantastic, but anointing her the best that ever was before she even has her last run seems stupid buzz word hunting.

If not for the fact you don’t know how this run is going to turn out and use that while evaluating against everyone else ever, the added anxiety to live up to is so unnecessary. She had a couple poor runs that we watched and if that got in her head badly enough to make her quit? That’s terrible.

I was just hoping it wasn’t tied to the alternate who came down with Covid.
@JeremyMStrain

#11 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:47 PM

Apparently she takes medicine for ADHD, but she's not allowed to take it for the Olympics.  I wonder if that's the problem.  A Chris Davis situation.

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:29 PM

Apparently she takes medicine for ADHD, but she's not allowed to take it for the Olympics. I wonder if that's the problem. A Chris Davis situation.

Could makes some sense. Whether it be physical or mental (thinking she cant perform without it)

#13 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:59 PM

Apparently she takes medicine for ADHD, but she's not allowed to take it for the Olympics.  I wonder if that's the problem.  A Chris Davis situation.

Was she using it in 2016 .? After she left she came back with her foot wrapped. Now its she's not injured. On the vault attempt it was said she landed awkwardly and it may have been the cause.

Watching some of the competitions I believe the US team overall is not as good as they think they are. Maybe its because its a year later. All the swimming team talk has seen other countries passing them by. Former gold medalists finishing 3rd.

#14 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:49 PM

If you ain't got it, you gotta trust your backups. It's that simple. 

I think Simone has gotten enough accolades that she can say "I know my body" and react accordingly.

If you don't, you have an Anthony Davis situation, or even worse, an RG3 situation. Even if it isn't injury, if your brain/heart aren't in it, you could get seriously injured.

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:38 PM

I struggle with this.

I believe in people getting the mental help they need, and I know people have real anxiety and pressure issues.

I've also been honest that I was previously in a very dark place, and I should have been smarter about seeking professional help.

That said... withdrawing at that stage in a team event, when you are physically healthy... feels crummy to me. Your teammates were counting on you. Maybe your best effort wouldn't have been enough. But I think you need to try there.

I do give her kudos for going out and supporting her teammates after she withdrew. But you were the unquestioned leader. Being talked about as the GOAT. She felt a lot of pressure because of that.... but tha'ts part of the deal right?

It's the Olympics. You are in GOAT conversation for your sport. Of course there is going to be significant pressure.

To argue against myself... she realized she didn't have it today, and she allowed her teammates to try and pick her up, and she went out and supported them. I can respect that as well.

You make some strong arguments, and having participated in many team sports, I empathize with that and am not sure how I would've felt personally as her teammate.

That said, the only reasons these expectations exist is because of her greatness in the first place. I find it sad when people get crucified over their own greatness. I tend to agree with this take. https://www.cnn.com/...bass/index.html

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:35 AM

You make some strong arguments, and having participated in many team sports, I empathize with that and am not sure how I would've felt personally as her teammate.

That said, the only reasons these expectations exist is because of her greatness in the first place. I find it sad when people get crucified over their own greatness. I tend to agree with this take. https://www.cnn.com/...bass/index.html

Yeah it’s tough for me. In two different ways I support her 1000%. Talking about how they score her differently because they expect more. That’s BS. And just being beat down by the stress and everyone anointing her the GOAT while she’s still playing. I get that too I hate that they e been doing that.

But there’s also this little question in my head if for whatever reason, justified or not, she struggled for the first time and her response was to walk away before failing. It’s impossible to know what’s going on in her head. I think I feel bad for whoever didn’t make the team to watch this happen, and a part of me wonders stress or not if she had looked better thst first night if she still walks away.

It’s her business, not mine so I don’t feel extreme about it but it’s like say if Tom Brady just was playing like crap the week leading up to the Super Bowl and then took himself out in the 1st Q and said I just don’t have it today, there’s too much pressure…how would people react? Like is she getting crap because of who she is but Tom people would they be worshipping still?

I will say though people keep comparing her to Kerri Strug and these images people keep posting of her being handed off to a child molester have been kind of chilling in hindsight.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:56 AM

I think criticism of Biles as an athlete are fair in response to this.  It just needs to be the type of criticism that treats her decision not to compete similarly as any other type of injury.

Being available is a big part of athletics.  Bo Jackson isn't in the Hall of Fame because he was often unavailable.  It's not his fault, he's not a bad person because he was unavailable, but he was unavailable.  Biles is already far greater of a gymnast than that, but being unavailable for this competition is a knock on her and her record compared to if she were available.  It's the same to me as if she had a physical injury, it being more of a mental thing or the yips doesn't diminish her any more than if it were a twisted ankle.

Really hope she's able to compete the rest of the way.  

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:03 AM

Also as an "I only follow during the Olympics" level of fan, missing part of the Olympics seems like a bigger deal to me than maybe it is to gymnastics fans in general who follow the yearly competitions and other things.  

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:27 AM

Going forward its an individual competition so anything she misses only affects her. Its tough to know what to think pulling yourself out in the middle of a team competition but if she knew she couldn't do as well as whoever it was that replaced her then she made the right call. I will say, it would have been easy to say I felt something in my foot or something injury related vs saying I didn't have it tonight. Some people will criticize no matter what but that takes courage.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#20 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:29 AM

I feel like the nature of how young gymnasts are feels notable here too. Has anyone in any team sport ever been called the GOAT in their sport without it being hyperbole at just age 24? Tom Brady started his first Super Bowl at 24, Jordan didn't have any rings at 24, etc. 

she/her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=