6 replies to this topic

#1 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 10,493 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:34 PM

Some under the radar guys with nice weeks.

https://baltimorespo...rm-june-7-2021/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#2 BSLJordanKatz

BSLJordanKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:21 PM

Sounds like Rizer is...a riser

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#3 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:18 AM

Rizer sounds like he is getting something going but at the risk of sounding like a broken record I have a hard time getting excited about a guy on track to make it to the majors by the time he is 26. I guess some guys just are slow to get it going?

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:25 AM

Rizer sounds like he is getting something going but at the risk of sounding like a broken record I have a hard time getting excited about a guy on track to make it to the majors by the time he is 26. I guess some guys just are slow to get it going?

Some?

I mean sometimes you have senior signs or injury pushed guys that you really don’t get until they are 22. Then generally you are talking guys with a tool or something raw that needs work. Playing at 23 for a year and making changes, if they stick and really improve you are talking AA at 24, AAA at 25, ML at 26? Not a terrible timeline. Just depends on the guy and situation. Maybe there was a poorly timed injury, like junior year of college. Or maybe they were a backup behind a star in college and didn’t really get playing time but flashed something, see that with SEC seniors sometimes.

I dunno. Not that far out of the realm though, just not what you’re used to thinking young hotshot prospects. Guys that earn their way up can be great ML too though.
@JeremyMStrain

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,508 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:28 AM

Traditionally I think you're absolutely right.  There are occasionally good players who didn't debut until 26 or even 25 years old (Luke Scott is the example I always go to, didn't debut until 27), but most guys who are good enough to make a big impact have arrived before then.  Some kick around and struggle for a while before figuring it out, but they at least did well enough in the minors to get the call by 24 or 25.  Also gotta be clear who you're talking about, plenty of guys debut late and have short or medium length careers as bench players and RP, that's not unique.  But a late-debuting guys who then developing into starting level guys is less common.

But I do think that this current class of minor league players has to be viewed slightly differently because of the lost year and the short draft in 2020 (and subsequent huge draft class of mid-round talent in 2021).  That's gonna cause some guys to arrive later than expected through no fault of their own.  These aren't guys who had opportunities to earn promotions but didn't do enough, these guys just flat didn't have the same opportunity.  And now that they are back playing, they're being graded on a curve because they are older than you'd like to see at any given level, so you demand more of them and only promote them if they meet it.  I think the next several years of minor leaguers across baseball are going to be noticeably different than usual.

#6 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 10,493 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:47 AM

With the lost year in 2020 and the fact that Rizer is never going to be predicted to be a major league regular (unless he forces the issue) I think it’s a good timeline for him.

#7 Old Man

Old Man

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:52 AM

Sounds like things at AAA are improving.

Shutout on the farm: Triple-A Norfolk beat Jacksonville 8-0 last night as Zac Lowther and Conner Greene teamed on a six-hitter. Lowther went the first four to lower his ERA to 5.28. Greene pitched the last five on three hits and is now 1-2 with a 6.30 ERA. Infielder Domingo Leyba, claimed on waivers from Arizona on June 4, is now 7-for-17 in four Norfolk games, with three homers and 10 RBIs. He went 3-for-5 last night with a three-run homer and RBI single. Norfolk has won 10 of 15 games to improve to 13-19.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=
 width=