Photo

Balt Sun: With no-hitter, John Means a beacon for Orioles rebuild in present and future: ‘He’s going to be the mainstay’

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 08 May 2021 - 02:34 PM

....amongst all the (horribly) misleading things that Fangraphs has done, this one is probably the worst.

Why do you think this is misleading? I think it's pretty clear that teams amortize high value contracts by signing the players for a period that goes well past their expected peak performance periods. Also with pitchers you have to weigh injury risk and the fact that pitcher performance is generally more volatile, which depresses their salaries a bit more. But I think the 30-40 million going rate for top tier pitchers on multi-year deals aligns with that 60-80m single season valuation after factoring in a pitcher's inherent injury risk.

#42 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 02:52 PM

I think what's being missed here is that Means will get a chance at exactly one big pay day. Guys like Snell were young enough that they had a chance for a second after they signed their initial deal.

Means is 28. I don't think he's signing for something that isn't closer to what he would fetch right now as a free agent, which is well above 5 years 50ish million.

#43 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:03 PM

But I think the 30-40 million going rate for top tier pitchers on multi-year deals aligns with that 60-80m single season valuation after factoring in a pitcher's inherent injury risk.

How are you coming up with "60-80M single season valuation" ?

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:06 PM

Cole led in fWAR in '19, with 7.3...  projected as $58.8M.

FanGraphs: On $/WAR, Its Linearity, and Efficient Free-Agent Contracts

FanGraphs: The Cost of a Win in Free Agency in 2020 | FanGraphs Baseball

#45 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:11 PM

Cole led in fWAR in '19, with 7.3...  projected as $58.8M.

FanGraphs: On $/WAR, Its Linearity, and Efficient Free-Agent Contracts

FanGraphs: The Cost of a Win in Free Agency in 2020 | FanGraphs Baseball

Right, that's my point.

#46 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:06 PM

Right, that's my point.

FYI in 2018 DeGrom was tops at 73 million.

What is your point though? That the valuation fails at top dollar amounts?

My argument is that teams are coming up with ways to make deals more appealing without increasing per-year dollar amounts at the top end. Opt-outs and long duration contracts are two ways to do that. I did fail to consider the effect that the luxury tax has on top end contracts but I think the other stuff counteracts that to some extent.

#47 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:19 PM

FYI in 2018 DeGrom was tops at 73 million.

What is your point though? That the valuation fails at top dollar amounts?

My argument is that teams are coming up with ways to make deals more appealing without increasing per-year dollar amounts at the top end. Opt-outs and long duration contracts are two ways to do that. I did fail to consider the effect that the luxury tax has on top end contracts but I think the other stuff counteracts that to some extent.

Why are you treating the information you're being presented as a fact?  You are trying to find justification for information that's not correct. 

That's my point.  They are leading you (and everyone else) astray.  Good business though so good for them.

#48 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:35 PM

Why are you treating the information you're being presented as a fact? You are trying to find justification for information that's not correct.

That's my point. They are leading you (and everyone else) astray. Good business though so good for them.

What data do you have that conclusively indicates that they are incorrect?

#49 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:52 PM

Why are you treating the information you're being presented as a fact? You are trying to find justification for information that's not correct.

That's my point. They are leading you (and everyone else) astray. Good business though so good for them.

Of course it's their opinion and I recognize that. But I feel it reasonably fits the available data in many cases. I already acknowledged that it may break down at the top end due to the luxury tax. But even then teams are finding other ways to provide value to compensate.

#50 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:47 PM

What data do you have that conclusively indicates that they are incorrect?

Seriously, are you just pushing back or are you actually interested in this discussion. 

Have you ever known me not to be able to defend my opinion?

#51 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:03 PM

MVP/Cy Young level pitchers are worth 60-80 million a season, ...

Of course it's their opinion and I recognize that. But I feel it reasonably fits the available data in many cases. 

You did not present your first comment as an opinion. 

I understand why you didn't because you believe what they said has merit.

It fits the available data very poorly....but nobody cares because they put $$/WAR in a chart and everyone (literally everyone) thinks they just use it. 

I get that you don't like me pushing back because you like to use the chart.  Everyone does.

#52 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:48 PM

You did not present your first comment as an opinion. 

I understand why you didn't because you believe what they said has merit.

It fits the available data very poorly....but nobody cares because they put $$/WAR in a chart and everyone (literally everyone) thinks they just use it. 

I get that you don't like me pushing back because you like to use the chart.  Everyone does.

Can you please explain why it fits the available data poorly?

#53 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:51 PM

Can you please explain why it fits the available data poorly?

Sure, which FA contracts are used to assess the $/WAR projections?

#54 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:10 PM

Seriously, are you just pushing back or are you actually interested in this discussion.
Have you ever known me not to be able to defend my opinion?

I'm interested. I'm also skeptical.

You speak with the self-assuredness of the so-called "smartest guy in the room," and you frequently state your opinions as though they are facts chiseled in bedrock. You (obviously) defend your opinions, but defending something doesn't make it accurate, so frankly I'm looking for more than just a defense. I'm looking for an analytical justification. An awful lot of very smart people who do this for a living disagree with you. I'd like to see the analysis that makes you so sure that you're right and they're wrong.

Hey, maybe you have it. That's why I'm asking.
  • ivanbalt likes this

#55 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:35 AM

I'm interested. I'm also skeptical.

You speak with the self-assuredness of the so-called "smartest guy in the room," and you frequently state your opinions as though they are facts chiseled in bedrock. You (obviously) defend your opinions, but defending something doesn't make it accurate, so frankly I'm looking for more than just a defense. I'm looking for an analytical justification. An awful lot of very smart people who do this for a living disagree with you. I'd like to see the analysis that makes you so sure that you're right and they're wrong.

Hey, maybe you have it. That's why I'm asking.

If it helps, let me try a short version.

Every one of these articles has a series of assumptions and the like that they admit are part of their process.  If I point out the short-comings of what they're doing they'd likely say "Sure, accounted for that in there"...and they did.  Over and over, so there's nothing wrong with that specifically.  

I have issues with every part of what they do (beyond just the caveats), but let's completely ignore that discussion for now.  Let's pretend and accept that the above, with all of the caveats, is fair enough.  It's a generic approximation for some portion of the information based on a bunch of assumptions that may (or may not) be true.

Then they put a number in a chart and tell you THAT is the answer.  People are lazy.  They aren't going to do any work and they just look at the number, assume it's correct and the apply it across every situation.  Teams are developing teams of people to do this internally.  People write for Fangraphs (and other places) hoping to get noticed and get hooked up into a baseball operation.  Me too, I get it.

...but the number in the chart is devoid of application.  It fails at both ends because that's not how teams operate.  They ARE doing application.  They not only have their own approach (and I'd argue some of the ways they are intentionally skewing data now) but there's a bunch of other things that will matter at the end of the day.  It will feel right in some portions of some range because there's elements of truth [if you will] that everyone is looking at.  So where it matches up, cool, and if it doesn't match up, well, I'm only offering you what I'm offering you.

Fangraphs is the most guilty of just putting that number into a chart and doing multiplication and then putting a label at the top of the column that leads the masses to conclusions that aren't going to necessarily be consistent with the future because they lack application.  That leads us to ridiculous things like "surplus value".  Dave Stewart thought he was doing it correct in AZ and it got him fired.  MacPhail and the Phillies were all that too for the last 5 years and look where it got them.

You want to regress the data and say it's linear and draw a line, cool, but the actual data isn't sitting on that line and it's wrong everywhere on  the line especially at the ends.

....to hallas's point, the contract numbers are already accounting for the perceived discounts he's describing from the higher "worth 60-80M" numbers.  That's already in the $$/win numbers.  He's re-discounting the data to try and force it to match up because it doesn't.

For me, it's largely the presentation of the data.  $$/win isn't a generic number for application because supply/demand (and there's a number of pieces in there, teams, positions, etc) is actually going to wind up driving the contracts for specific players.  If you started parsing that out and try to develop more accuracy for the projections on specifics you'd have all kinds of issues....so we just roll them all up into a ball and let the masses run with them however they want.

But people like generic because they don't really want to do the rest of the work.  They just want to multiply WAR by $$/WAR and pretend they know something about the contract projection.

#56 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:35 AM

Sorry, that actually was the short version.

#57 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:41 AM

If it helps, let me try a short version.

Every one of these articles has a series of assumptions and the like that they admit are part of their process.  If I point out the short-comings of what they're doing they'd likely say "Sure, accounted for that in there"...and they did.  Over and over, so there's nothing wrong with that specifically.  

I have issues with every part of what they do (beyond just the caveats), but let's completely ignore that discussion for now.  Let's pretend and accept that the above, with all of the caveats, is fair enough.  It's a generic approximation for some portion of the information based on a bunch of assumptions that may (or may not) be true.

Then they put a number in a chart and tell you THAT is the answer.  People are lazy.  They aren't going to do any work and they just look at the number, assume it's correct and the apply it across every situation.  Teams are developing teams of people to do this internally.  People write for Fangraphs (and other places) hoping to get noticed and get hooked up into a baseball operation.  Me too, I get it.

...but the number in the chart is devoid of application.  It fails at both ends because that's not how teams operate.  They ARE doing application.  They not only have their own approach (and I'd argue some of the ways they are intentionally skewing data now) but there's a bunch of other things that will matter at the end of the day.  It will feel right in some portions of some range because there's elements of truth [if you will] that everyone is looking at.  So where it matches up, cool, and if it doesn't match up, well, I'm only offering you what I'm offering you.

Fangraphs is the most guilty of just putting that number into a chart and doing multiplication and then putting a label at the top of the column that leads the masses to conclusions that aren't going to necessarily be consistent with the future because they lack application.  That leads us to ridiculous things like "surplus value".  Dave Stewart thought he was doing it correct in AZ and it got him fired.  MacPhail and the Phillies were all that too for the last 5 years and look where it got them.

You want to regress the data and say it's linear and draw a line, cool, but the actual data isn't sitting on that line and it's wrong everywhere on  the line especially at the ends.

....to hallas's point, the contract numbers are already accounting for the perceived discounts he's describing from the higher "worth 60-80M" numbers.  That's already in the $$/win numbers.  He's re-discounting the data to try and force it to match up because it doesn't.

For me, it's largely the presentation of the data.  $$/win isn't a generic number for application because supply/demand (and there's a number of pieces in there, teams, positions, etc) is actually going to wind up driving the contracts for specific players.  If you started parsing that out and try to develop more accuracy for the projections on specifics you'd have all kinds of issues....so we just roll them all up into a ball and let the masses run with them however they want.

But people like generic because they don't really want to do the rest of the work.  They just want to multiply WAR by $$/WAR and pretend they know something about the contract projection.

I see where you're coming from.  I think that if you buy that the cost per performance is linear, which it has been outside the MVP level players, and you believe in WAR as a player valuation tool, then buying it as fact is fine as long as you recognize that it's backward looking.  If you don't buy both of those things then I understand your skepticism.

I don't think it applies to contracts going forward unless you understand how to make projections and how to account for other things like opt-outs. And frankly I don't think anyone has attempted to tackle how the luxury tax has put a clamp on the biggest of the big contracts.  That said, this is a bit academic because I don't think John Means commands that size contract even if he wins the Cy Young award this year.

#58 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:56 PM

I see where you're coming from.  I think that if you buy that the cost per performance is linear, which it has been outside the MVP level players, and you believe in WAR as a player valuation tool, then buying it as fact is fine as long as you recognize that it's backward looking.  If you don't buy both of those things then I understand your skepticism.

I've tried to give this something of a break and not just keep typing responses.  I haven't really started yet.

If you want to get off this stage, that's ok, I'll stop.

If you go to the first link Chris included above, there's commentary about  using Marcel for WAR projections.  The links inside the links suggest they aren't great, but they're similar to everything else.

I don't find that to be true when I look at different projections for Steamer and ZiPs so which one do you want to use to reflect on the statements you made above?

Let's just look at the SSs from the last market: Semien, Simmons, Gregorius and Galvis.  Assign WAR projections (whichever you like, more than one if you want) for those 4 guys heading into this season. 

#59 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:13 AM

I'm interested.  ....

Let's just look at the SSs from the last market: Semien, Simmons, Gregorius and Galvis.  Assign WAR projections (whichever you like, more than one if you want) for those 4 guys heading into this season. 

Are we still interested?  I asked this question 4 days ago.

If you can find the Marcel projections for the 2021 season, let me know.

Steamer and ZiPs (ST / ZP below) seem to be the most common on fangraphs, so this is their data. 

Projected WAR

Semien:  3.6 / 4.2

Simmons: 2.8 / 2.7

Gregorius: 2.1 / 2.3

Galvis: 0.6 / 0.9 

So go to the second link that Chris posted above (Fangraphs, Craig Edwards) and their little chart says that the cost of a win in 2020 (projection for 2021) is 9.1M.

Now apply that to the SS market for this season.  Let's grade that assessment against what happened.

Semien got 1/18M.  A 4 WAR projection has him at 36M.  He got 50% of that and only one year.  Grade: F

Simmons: got 1/10.5M, a 2.75 WAR projection has him at 25M.  He got 40% that and only one year.  Grade: F

Gregorius: got a 2/28M deal re-signing with the Phillies.  For a 2-year prediction he should be around 40M.  Grade C-

Galvis: got a 1.5M contract.  a ~0.7 WAR projection would have him at about 6+M.  He got 25% of that and was lucky to get something.  Grade: F

....so where does that number in the chart have merit?  Fangraphs is giving you WAR, projected WAR, $$/WAR nad none of them match up with reality.  

...so Is there a lot more needed to get the answer?  Sure.  That's my point.

#60 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:11 PM

Are we still interested? I asked this question 4 days ago.

If you can find the Marcel projections for the 2021 season, let me know.

Steamer and ZiPs (ST / ZP below) seem to be the most common on fangraphs, so this is their data.

Projected WAR
Semien: 3.6 / 4.2
Simmons: 2.8 / 2.7
Gregorius: 2.1 / 2.3
Galvis: 0.6 / 0.9

So go to the second link that Chris posted above (Fangraphs, Craig Edwards) and their little chart says that the cost of a win in 2020 (projection for 2021) is 9.1M.

Now apply that to the SS market for this season. Let's grade that assessment against what happened.

Semien got 1/18M. A 4 WAR projection has him at 36M. He got 50% of that and only one year. Grade: F

Simmons: got 1/10.5M, a 2.75 WAR projection has him at 25M. He got 40% that and only one year. Grade: F

Gregorius: got a 2/28M deal re-signing with the Phillies. For a 2-year prediction he should be around 40M. Grade C-

Galvis: got a 1.5M contract. a ~0.7 WAR projection would have him at about 6+M. He got 25% of that and was lucky to get something. Grade: F

....so where does that number in the chart have merit? Fangraphs is giving you WAR, projected WAR, $$/WAR nad none of them match up with reality.

...so Is there a lot more needed to get the answer? Sure. That's my point.

Ok so dollars per WAR is recalculated at the end of every year so I bet that 9.1 million per WAR is not going to stand up by the end of the season. In fact, the actual dollars per WAR they're using on their site is 7.8 for 2020 and 8 for 2021. And I suspect after the revenue issues of 2019 and depressed FA market that number will drop further.

Also, at least for ZIPS, it's a median projection. However, for a player like Simien, who is in his 30s, the 10th percentile projection is going to be pretty close to 0, while the 90th percentile projection is certainly not going to be 8 WAR. So the mean outcome is almost certainly going to be lower than the median. You have to discount the WAR projection to account for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=