• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:04 AM

CBS Sports: UEFA Euro 2020 was one of the best international tournaments ever, despite challenging circumstances
https://www.cbssport...-circumstances/

#82 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:49 AM

Superb writeup from that CBS author. And he is spot on. This has been an incredible tournament from the get go and I suspect we will have a final for the ages.

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:33 AM

CBS Sports: UEFA Euro 2020 final: Italy vs. England predictions, expert picks, betting odds for Wembley showdown
https://www.cbssport...mbley-showdown/

#84 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

My heart is with the English 2-1. My brain thinks that may be backwards. Eff my brain, lets go Three Lions!!!  The reporting is that the signing started in the middle of the night. I guess that's expected when its been 55 years since their last final. 

#85 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2021 - 01:24 PM

England coming out in a 5-2-3. Don't misread this thinking they are going to play very defensively. What this means is that they are plaing with 3 center backs and have Trippier and Shaw as wing backs and they will fly forward and attack down the wings. If they find space and especially if they can get behind the Italian back line then this could be a real problem for Italy.

The flip side is that it opens up your back to quick counters. But I think Walker, Stones, and McGuire are up to that as long as they don't get caught up too far. Those guys are also very very good in the air and like to flood the middle of the area when the wings throw in crosses, especially McGuire. If both wings and one of the center backs get caught upfield at the same time that will be a major problem for England. Communication will be critical and they have to keep tabs on Jorginho. They must not let him get in behind the midfield while they are short in the back.

This game is close enough that it could boil down to which team has the fresher legs. They both had to play extra time in their semi-final match but Italy got an extra day of rest playing on Tuesday while England played on Wednesday. Fresher legs or more emotion boost from the crowd? We're about to see.

#86 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2021 - 02:05 PM

Luuuuuuukkkkeeee! Earliest goal in a Euro final and gives England the lead at the 2 minute mark. Totally left alone on the back post.

#87 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

England coming out in a 5-2-3. Don't misread this thinking they are going to play very defensively. What this means is that they are plaing with 3 center backs and have Trippier and Shaw as wing backs and they will fly forward and attack down the wings. If they find space and especially if they can get behind the Italian back line then this could be a real problem for Italy.

The flip side is that it opens up your back to quick counters. But I think Walker, Stones, and McGuire are up to that as long as they don't get caught up too far. Those guys are also very very good in the air and like to flood the middle of the area when the wings throw in crosses, especially McGuire. If both wings and one of the center backs get caught upfield at the same time that will be a major problem for England. Communication will be critical and they have to keep tabs on Jorginho. They must not let him get in behind the midfield while they are short in the back.

This game is close enough that it could boil down to which team has the fresher legs. They both had to play extra time in their semi-final match but Italy got an extra day of rest playing on Tuesday while England played on Wednesday. Fresher legs or more emotion boost from the crowd? We're about to see.

ah well how about that

#88 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2021 - 02:24 PM

23rd minute and Jorginho is on the sideline with some sort of an injury. Trainers are working on him and Italy playing short a man.

#89 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2021 - 02:26 PM

Jorginho back on for now. Still looks to be hobbling a bit. They need him. England's passing has been deadly. They have to shut down the passing lanes.

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 03:27 PM

Italy ties it up in the 67th minute.... 

#91 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2021 - 03:28 PM

Corner kick does them in but Italy has been applying a ton of pressure. Lets see how England responds.

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 03:57 PM

Very physical. 

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 03:57 PM

End of regulation. Extra time.

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:41 PM

Penalties... 

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:56 PM

Italy wins...gut wrenching for England.

#96 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:59 PM

I HATE PENALTIES!

#97 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:59 PM

But to be fair Italy was the better side for most of the game. Still sucks.

#98 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:00 PM

Tough spot for a 19 year old.

#99 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:16 PM

I HATE PENALTIES!

I love them, there is so much drama and pressure. Hell, Roberto Baggio, my all time favorite non-US, non-Scottish player, one of the greatest players of all time and named to the World Cup Dream Team in 2004, is still remembered for the penalty he missed in the 1994 World Cup Final even though he won the silver ball for scoring five goals that tournament. Of course he is remembered for so much more but that kick always comes up when his legacy is discussed. You can’t make up drama and pressure like that and you literally see that pressure in the players faces and body language. I called every missed one today by the “deer in the headlights look” the shooters had!

This game was lost when England stopped attacking after the first 30 minutes. They dropped back and hoped to just defend their way to the championship. Italy deserved the win and I was rooting for them so I am ecstatic with this result!

#100 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,453 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:23 PM

Can’t wait for the World Cup next year.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=