69 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

That is just dumb play by Galvis.  He should easily be able to out run Leon to third.  

Frankly, Franco needs to retreat and let Zimm make the play and he compounded things by lobbing the ball to 1st.

There are multiple ways to defend that, just gotta pick any one of them.

These things are happening too often to not blame coaching.  Sure the players also get blame, but these things don't happen this often if your coach thinks doing the small things correctly is a priority.

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:44 PM

Aquillar makes them pay for being dumb.  2-0 Marlins.

@mikeghg

#43 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:49 PM

Aquillar makes them pay for being dumb.  2-0 Marlins.

Correct me if I am wrong but the dumb play had nothing really to do with them scoring 2 runs.  Being on 2nd or 3rd was irrelevant when Aguillar doubles.

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:50 PM

There are multiple ways to defend that, just gotta pick any one of them.

These things are happening too often to not blame coaching.  Sure the players also get blame, but these things don't happen this often if your coach thinks doing the small things correctly is a priority.

I have never been one to blame a coach for player mistakes.   Mental mistakes are usually a player not thinking.  

@mikeghg

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:51 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but the dumb play had nothing really to do with them scoring 2 runs.  Being on 2nd or 3rd was irrelevant when Aguillar doubles.

He should have been out going to 3rd.

@mikeghg

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:53 PM

Correct.  Unless you wanna argue that Zimmerman wouldn't have pitched around Rojas with the runner only on 2nd, which is a bit of a stretch.

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:53 PM

He should have been out going to 3rd.

No, I don't think so.  If defended properly the runner never attempts to move up.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:54 PM

At times watching this team is painful.

I miss having a real team.

@mikeghg

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:57 PM

I have never been one to blame a coach for player mistakes.   Mental mistakes are usually a player not thinking.  

Mental mistakes reflect coaching.  They happen regardless of how great the coach is and how much they emphasize attention to detail, but I definitely believe that the more coaching prioritizes doing the small things right, the more often they are done right.  Certainly can't use any one bad or good play as the ultimate example of a coach's influence, but trends over time are reflective.  This year has been pretty brutal for the Orioles in terms of making unacceptable mental errors and just bad baseball plays.

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:02 PM

Good play by Mountcastle

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:05 PM

Mental mistakes reflect coaching.  They happen regardless of how great the coach is and how much they emphasize attention to detail, but I definitely believe that the more coaching prioritizes doing the small things right, the more often they are done right.  Certainly can't use any one bad or good play as the ultimate example of a coach's influence, but trends over time are reflective.  This year has been pretty brutal for the Orioles in terms of making unacceptable mental errors and just bad baseball plays.

I think,teams drill during ST on plays like that,  Once the games start it is more refresher, but guys need to keep thinking when they are on the field.  I think it is more of a player issue, but I see your point.

On the positive Mountcastle just made a nice play getting the runner at 2nd.

@mikeghg

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:10 PM

K ends the Miami 6th. 

Franco, Severino, Galvis coming up.

#53 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:12 PM

Mental mistakes reflect coaching. They happen regardless of how great the coach is and how much they emphasize attention to detail, but I definitely believe that the more coaching prioritizes doing the small things right, the more often they are done right. Certainly can't use any one bad or good play as the ultimate example of a coach's influence, but trends over time are reflective. This year has been pretty brutal for the Orioles in terms of making unacceptable mental errors and just bad baseball plays.

And Hyde wasnt brought in to win games at this point. At least that wasnt the priority. So if you cant get the little things right then why is he here.

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:12 PM

K ends the Miami 6th. 

Franco, Severino, Galvis coming up.

In games like this 3-0 feels like 30-0.  We have made it pretty easy for Rogers so far.

@mikeghg

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:13 PM

And Hyde wasnt brought in to win games at this point. At least that wasnt the priority. So if you cant get the little things right then why is he here.

Given the talent, he has been given to work with, he has accomplished a good bit.

@mikeghg

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:13 PM

Franco doubles to right.

#57 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:15 PM

Given the talent, he has been given to work with, he has accomplished a good bit.

Has he? I havent made any decisions on him but he's not trending the right direction. That said, I think Holt is doing good work. Though he's an Elias guy.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:16 PM

I will say in Hyde's defense, is that I imagine that the teams that do it the right way largely do so not just because of the coach but because the best players buy in and get everyone on the same page. Earl talked a lot about exactly that in his book. I never heard Buck talk about it, but had to be easier for him to get everyone to do the small things when Adam and Hardy and Markakis are there and fully invested in doing things the way Buck wants.

Without any star players who are strong leaders (vocal or silent), Hyde may be pushing them as hard as he can but the collective group has nobody to follow.
  • Mike B likes this

#59 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:18 PM

I will say in Hyde's defense, is that I imagine that the teams that do it the right way largely do so not just because of the coach but because the best players buy in and get everyone on the same page. Earl talked a lot about exactly that in his book. I never heard Buck talk about it, but had to be easier for him to get everyone to do the small things when Adam and Hardy and Markakis are there and fully invested in doing things the way Buck wants.

Without any star players who are strong leaders (vocal or silent), Hyde may be pushing them as hard as he can but the collective group has nobody to follow.

Certainly possible. Its clearly not all on the manager.

#60 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:21 PM

I think this sums it up.  the team is awful and awful teams play poorly.  I would like to see what he could do with a team that was built to win.  I am guessing we will not find out.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=