• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#81 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:53 AM

I believe Elias is very smart and I am sure he did his homework on the Angelos family, before he took this job.  I am sure he laid out a detailed plan, that entailed cutting the major league team to the bone, financially while investing the money in the farm system, analytic department, international signings, etc.  I believe that the sons have allowed him to do exactly what he planned.

If the team begins to improve, I believe the brothers then take center stage as we see, if they will increase the payroll allowing Elias and company to augment the team.

I know we're all just speculating on how we think things will unfold. But I will say this, aside from the first few years after they took over the team, the Angelos family has always loved any GM whose interview for the job included the phrase, "I will slash payroll and build up the farm system." Say "I want to slash payroll" and you've got the job. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#82 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:45 AM

I think OP is a best case scenario, but I wouldn't be shocked to see 2022 be near .500. Ideally, we'll be graduating a good amount of talent and a few will stick. 

Honestly, for me, this year is already much more fun than the last 3. We're starting to graduate some prospects. Not the best crop to come, but reminds me of the Jason Berken and David Hernandez crop back in the last rebuild. I enjoy watching and I like some of these guys.  Mullins and Means have been great stories.  I'm excited to see what Hays (if healthy) and Mountcastle will do over a full season.  I like watching Zimmermann and Kremer pitch (hopefully Kremer cleans things up a bit and is back soon).  Even watching Matt Harvey try to reinvent himself is interesting. 

I understand the angst about Angelos ownership. To me, PA wasn't necessarily cheap, just spent money in the wrong places and times and was King Meddler. It seems hard for some to separate cost cutting during a rebuild and pandemic vs. cost cutting to only save money.  I get that with the recent history of the club. Kjerstad pick was weird and yet it allowed us to spend money elsewhere in the draft. Was a strategy vs. cost cutting I think. 

I'm on board the Elias train at this point and think it will be different with Angelos Sons. No more Brady or players, coaches and GM's having one on one's with King Meddler about what decisions to make. I think we have real organizational structure with solid baseball decision makers. Elias hasn't even really had a full year yet with everything humming because of the late hiring in 2019 and the pandemic in 2020. 

Excited to see what happens this season and beyond. Not guaranteed to work, but even the Yankees only have one WS in the last 20 years with their resources and minor league investments. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=