• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 06:08 AM

IL with the hammy... was bummed for him. An injury which can linger.

#42 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 May 2023 - 07:46 AM

Hammy issues are just about the worst for a "non major" injury. Feel totally healed and step out on the field and boom it goes again.

#43 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 May 2023 - 01:04 PM

Urias was activated today.  Ortiz sent back to Norfolk.

@mikeghg

#44 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 09:08 AM

.275 OPS in 26 PAs since coming back

she/her

#45 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:16 AM

Should be losing playing time rapidly.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:56 AM

Should be losing playing time rapidly.

He's less of a concern for me than Frazier and especially Mateo.

All 3 have sucked since the date Urias returned, but I trust Urias moving forward a lot further than the others.  Trust Henderson the most of the bunch, though, so hopefully he comes back soon.

#47 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 04:29 PM

Mountcastle too.

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 04:51 PM

Mountcastle too.

Agree in raw production, but Mountcastle has a lot higher bar to clear as a 1B/DH than the rest of the infielders (who are all quality defenders as well).

#49 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:01 PM

Agree in raw production, but Mountcastle has a lot higher bar to clear as a 1B/DH than the rest of the infielders (who are all quality defenders as well).

Sorry, was lumping him in with the guys struggling and he doesn’t have the silver lining of defense like you said.

#50 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 11:24 PM

Play of the game by diving to snare a hard grounder that would’ve likely scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the 8th.

This team’s IF is flexxxxxxxible.

https://youtu.be/SCi_5KpQfUU

#51 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 07:34 AM

Urias is a baller. Should be getting majority of the reps at 2B or 3B, depending on where you wanna play Gunnar and Westburg.

#52 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 January 2024 - 03:37 PM

Ramon Urias trade thought.

Have discussed Urias in plenty of places, but I'll just throw this back here.  I don't think he has a real role on the 2024 Orioles.  He needs more opportunity and he should not be getting it in Baltimore.

Mets: I've mentioned the Mets several times and they still have the need.  They were basically last in MLB last year in 3B OPS and Urais gives them a guy with a GG in his bag and some decent (.700-ish) offense for a team that could use some affordable stability at the position.

Mariners: Mariners are the other team I'd really consider and I'd probably prefer to deal with them in terms of return.  Mariners are in something of a cost crunch and have made a number of deals to shed salary. Because they are shedding (and transitioning) salary, they are unlikely to pursue more costly options at 3B (or 2B)....but they are still a win now type team.  Interestingly, I've mentioned his brother for several years on the Brewers in terms of stabilizing their 3B situation (still an issue) but last year, his brother Luis was dealt a couple times and is now in Seattle.

Looking at the Mariners prospects, the guy that continues to intrigue me is Felnin Celesten.  Years away, but a switch hitting SS with a ton of potential.  IFA 4.7M bonus (#2 prospect last year).  Mariners are loaded with young middle infielders and Celesten hasn't hit the top 100 yet.

Urias is a good fit for the Mariners roster to lock down 3B (most nights) and he has the advantage of cost/service control getting to some of their youngsters.  Maybe a couple ways to attack the trade, but we know they want to solve cost issues.  They didn't "want" Descalfani (12M) in the swap with the Giants, he was just a salary chip to balance the salary swap.  You can negotiate how much of that 12M the Orioles eat. Akin can take that role on the Mariners and he has an option.  Maybe the Orioles throw in another lesser piece.

Urias, Akin, [something] for Celesten, Descalfani (+cash)

End of the day, Descalfani might just get released at the end of ST.  You can ride him through waiting to see if he has value on the Orioles  roster based on injury or whatever.  Another team might have an injury and you dump whatever salary you can (same way Braves used Marco G to the Pirates).

#53 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 03:41 PM

If it's between Urias and Mateo as our utility IF next year I'm keeping Urias.

Maybe Mateo gets the nod if you think he's an adequate OF option and want more speed.

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 04:15 PM

Think you gotta trade him or Mateo, and really both. Get the best you can.

Can't imagine we get one of the top international FAs from last year's class just for Urias and $12M in salary absorption. But hey, would love that deal if they could. International money is probably worth 10X the actual dollars spent (look back at how much money was spent to sign guys like Yoan Moncada or Yusniel Diaz when they were super young FAs). Unless its been uncovered the kid is 3 years older than previously believed, then a $4.7M bonus to a stud prospect is worth way more than $12M of dead contract for DeScalfani. And it's not all the way dead, anyways.

#55 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 January 2024 - 10:07 PM

If it's between Urias and Mateo as our utility IF next year I'm keeping Urias.

Maybe Mateo gets the nod if you think he's an adequate OF option and want more speed.

I guess we don't need that discussion everywhere, but the condition that does what you suggest probably isn't the condition.  We'll see soon enough.

Hyde worked to get Urias into the lineup because everyone wants ABs.  He just shouldn't get that many ABs this year.  It's not because he's not good enough or doesn't deserve them, he's just going to have better players in front of him that I basically want playing 150+.  Everyone can't play.

Jon Schoop can do everything Urias needs to do on this roster and he'd be excited to be here, versus Urias looking around wanting more time.

#56 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 January 2024 - 10:15 PM

Can't imagine we get one of the top international FAs from last year's class just for Urias and $12M in salary absorption. But hey, would love that deal if they could. International money is probably worth 10X the actual dollars spent (look back at how much money was spent to sign guys like Yoan Moncada or Yusniel Diaz when they were super young FAs). Unless its been uncovered the kid is 3 years older than previously believed, then a $4.7M bonus to a stud prospect is worth way more than $12M of dead contract for DeScalfani. And it's not all the way dead, anyways.

Dipoto doesn't return my calls, but we already know what they've done. 

We don't specifically know why they've done it or where the bottom is, but....

It's not just the 12M from Descalfani...it's the 10+M you don't have to pay a 3B to maybe not be as good as Urias could be for you.  You've got 3 years of control, which gives you a reasonable bridge to a guy like Colt Emerson in 2-3 years.

If they have NOW problems (3B, $$), you may be able to help them solve them and the cost is a kid that's not in the top100 today and is still 5 years away. Could he be? Sure, I wouldn't want him without the profile and if SEA didn't have any needs, it's not even a discussion....but it appears they do have needs.

#57 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 10:49 PM

Jon Schoop can do everything Urias needs to do on this roster and he'd be excited to be here, versus Urias looking around wanting more time.

The same Jonathan Schoop who had a .561 OPS in 500 PA in 2022 and a .550 OPS in 149 PAs in 2023? He's not even an asset on defense anymore.
  • Mackus and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:04 PM

One of Urias or Mateo should probably remain on the roster. They should be looking to deal from the glut of young infielders and preserving service time, which still allows some opportunity for at least one vet.

#59 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:57 PM

The same Jonathan Schoop who had a .561 OPS in 500 PA in 2022 and a .550 OPS in 149 PAs in 2023? He's not even an asset on defense anymore.

You got the right one. <<thumbs up>>

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 07:25 AM

You got the right one. <<thumbs up>>

So this is confusing.  Urias is undoubtedly much better defensively, especially a 3B, we can all agree.  He's also a much better hitter, outproducing Schoop in each of the past 4 seasons since debuting and dramatically so in '22 and '23.  So what do you use to gauge quality if not hitting and defense in order to say Schoop can do everything Urias does? Its a bizarre opinion.

Like I get that the role Urias will be asked to fill is small, especially if/once Holliday or Ortiz are playing regularly, but I still don't see how you can straight-faced suggest that Schoop is equally capable of filling that role as Urias.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=