#2 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:45 AM

I think strikeouts by themselves aren't a huge issue but they're not producing in the other three true outcomes either, 29th in BB% and 27th in ISO. If they keep striking out like this but are walking and hitting for power much more successfully, it's annoying but we'll survive.  

• BobPhelan likes this

she/her

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:03 AM

I think strikeouts by themselves aren't a huge issue but they're not producing in the other three true outcomes either, 29th in BB% and 27th in ISO. If they keep striking out like this but are walking and hitting for power much more successfully, it's annoying but we'll survive.

Bingo.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

The good news is we can be excited when they strikeout less than 13 times in a game.  Success!

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:13 AM

I'll stick with the same mantras whether things are going crazy good or crazy bad.

The first 2 weeks last year, 'everything was coming together' and we had 6 guys OPSing over .970.  The plan was working.

We're a week in and the 3rd highest OPS is .605.  Guys will hit better.

The really exciting news is we're getting to evaluate Ruiz as a 2B.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

The strikeouts and lack of walks are going to continue to be an issue. Not sure about slg but its the best hope of the 3.

#7 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:13 PM

...If they keep striking out like this but are walking and hitting for power much more successfully, it's annoying but we'll survive.

My cynical side is way too prominent these days, so my apologies... :) But why should we think they're going to walk and hit for power more? I don't get it. I won't survive. :) They're unwatchable offensively to me. They don't put a premium on that type of batter, one with a decent command of the zone, ability to work a count / foul off pitches, etc. They stock the major league roster with guys who don't hit for average, tend to strike out a lot, tend to post higher K/BB splits, and may on occasion hit a bases empty HR. Great. Boring, and long term uncompetitive in this division.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:17 PM

My cynical side is way too prominent these days, so my apologies... :) But why should we think they're going to walk and hit for power more? I don't get it. I won't survive. :) They're unwatchable offensively to me. They don't put a premium on that type of batter, one with a decent command of the zone, ability to work a count / foul off pitches, etc. They stock the major league roster with guys who don't hit for average, tend to strike out a lot, tend to post higher K/BB splits, and may on occasion hit a bases empty HR. Great. Boring, and long term uncompetitive in this division.

This regime has yet to stock the ML roster with the talent they've identified. 

#9 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:50 PM

Welcome to modern day baseball and as Ravens2006 said, it's "unwatchable."  I was scanning the batting averages around the league for the first time this morning and while it is early, it's amazing how many were under .200.  The Orioles go down with a vengeance but strikeouts are plentiful around both leagues.  If there's a game where a team manages to avoid striking out 10 times, it's a good night. Plate discipline and putting the ball in play are long gone.  Sad, really.  

#10 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:22 PM

Welcome to modern day baseball and as Ravens2006 said, it's "unwatchable." I was scanning the batting averages around the league for the first time this morning and while it is early, it's amazing how many were under .200. The Orioles go down with a vengeance but strikeouts are plentiful around both leagues. If there's a game where a team manages to avoid striking out 10 times, it's a good night. Plate discipline and putting the ball in play are long gone. Sad, really.

It was kinda sad last night looking at the scoreboard, where they show the full lineup at all times with averages. I think the 1 and 9 holes started with a .3 the rest started with a .0, .1, or .2 with a really low number right after.

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:44 PM

It was kinda sad last night looking at the scoreboard, where they show the full lineup at all times with averages. I think the 1 and 9 holes started with a .3 the rest started with a .0, .1, or .2 with a really low number right after.

Hitting is quite compromised in today's game outside of homeruns and the Orioles in particular are going to be rancid at the plate. They don't even have much power.  Coupled with the lousy, starting pitching, I might have to adjust my loss total for the season. (LOL) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=